Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ray de Galles
    replied
    Patchell covers both fly half and full back still but, yes, we're running out of backs really.

Leave a comment:

• Antepli Ejderha
    replied
    Kolbe out for the Springboks.

Halfpenny is an ok replacement but he's not Liam. If Watkin plays does that mean Owen Lane or Hallam Amos on the bench?

Leave a comment:

• Ray de Galles
    replied
    Liam Williams out for the semi-final. Absolute disaster.

Looks like no hope of making whichever game we play the following weekend either.
    Last edited by Ray de Galles; 24-10-2019, 15:07.

Leave a comment:

• Walt Flanagans Dog
    replied
    Originally posted by Alex Anderson View Post
    I'm still thinking about those growly Gallic shouts of "Biggar!" when Dan was doing his line-cleary thing on Sunday.

I thought " How weird - that sounds like someone foreign is shouting that Welsh kicking fellah's name". And then the commentator confirmed it was the French players. And why.
    I didn't watch the game so don't know the answer - presume they were planning the itinerary for their next fixture at Murrayfield in which for some reason they were to travel by coach and they were trying to decide where to stop for chips on the way back from Edinburgh to Carlisle.

Leave a comment:

• Flynnie
    replied
    Originally posted by Antepli Ejderha View Post
    This really needs to be sorted out asap along with an international rugby calendar. Pichot clearly wants to do both.
    Of course, it's very much in his self-interest to do so.

Leave a comment:

• Alex Anderson
    replied
    I'm still thinking about those growly Gallic shouts of "Biggar!" when Dan was doing his line-cleary thing on Sunday.

I thought " How weird - that sounds like someone foreign is shouting that Welsh kicking fellah's name". And then the commentator confirmed it was the French players. And why.

Nice to know there's still attempts at proper intimidation and menace at what is now, obviously, a mamby-pamby replica of rugby when I were a lad (God, you can't even knock someone's head off their shoulders now without some snowflake insisting they have a wee sit-down and a cuppa. Bless!) ...

... and if Bongi Mbonambi was here in this room right now I'd tell him that to his face.

Leave a comment:

• Antepli Ejderha
    replied
    Originally posted by tee rex View Post
    The kick-off countdowns, annoying enough in football, are worse in rugby, in part because of the issues mentioned here. You're not just tapping it back to a team-mate, you're trying to execute a planned move with everyone on the same wavelength, and that timing doesn't depend on a silly 3-2-1 chant. Watch the kicker at the start of the game and you'll see how he generally ignores the countdown.

Also you probably need to see games live to notice the receiving team get ready (the TV angle is too narrow). There's a lot of movement as they get ready to hoist a player up in the air, and respond to a late change of direction.
    There was a brief glimpse on TV of Aaron Wainwright preparing to lift Liam Williams, I'd never seen that before.

Some sides go with 2 pairs on each side of the pitch and others with a pair and two singles. Like you say TV doesn't show it and it's changed so much since I played and was coached.

Leave a comment:

• Antepli Ejderha
    replied
    Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post

I presume his handful of appearances for NZ in Sevens rules it out.
    Thanks Ray. I didn't know he'd played Sevens and thought there must be either a clause in his contract or a disagreement. He's some player and I'd love to see him playing at a higher level.

Leave a comment:

• tee rex
    replied
    The kick-off countdowns, annoying enough in football, are worse in rugby, in part because of the issues mentioned here. You're not just tapping it back to a team-mate, you're trying to execute a planned move with everyone on the same wavelength, and that timing doesn't depend on a silly 3-2-1 chant. Watch the kicker at the start of the game and you'll see how he generally ignores the countdown.

Also you probably need to see games live to notice the receiving team get ready (the TV angle is too narrow). There's a lot of movement as they get ready to hoist a player up in the air, and respond to a late change of direction.

Leave a comment:

• johnr
    replied
    Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post
    Does the team kicking off have to indicate to their opponents broadly where they're going to kick it, or was that just a protocol my old games teacher made us follow? It usually seems to be the case that both sides line up on one side of the pitch, and that's where the kick goes. Do/can teams employ a sneaky kick to the "unexpected" side?
    In one of the games (v Ireland?), Japan started by lining up as expected - out on the wing - but then just kicked the ball forward on the floor ten yards. Gained a good surprise advantage.

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    I have a vague recollection that not doing so was part of his deal with Clermont as well

Leave a comment:

• Ray de Galles
    replied
    Originally posted by Antepli Ejderha View Post

Does anyone know why Fritz Lee doesn't play for Samoa?
    I presume his handful of appearances for NZ in Sevens rules it out.

Leave a comment:

• Ray de Galles
    replied
    Cardiff winger Owen Lane is Navidi's replacement. Scott Williams not considered as proven fit enough, I presume.

Leave a comment:

• Antepli Ejderha
    replied
    Did I miss the news that Andy Farrell was stepping up to succeed Joe Schmidt or just forget about it? It vaguely crossed my mind that I didn't know who the new head coach was going to be when there was the fuss about Schmidt's final game on Saturday.

I only realised when I saw this article on twitter about the new regime which, depressingly, highlights FIVE southern hemisphere players in their late twenties Ireland are seemingly waiting on to qualify.
    You must have missed it, cannot remember when it was announced but the aspect of him and his son coming head to head was the theme for many articles. Lazy journalism.

As for those players I always thought Lowes and Gibson-Park had won caps and weren't eligible but I was wrong. Ireland seem to be doing this a lot recently.

We've only realistically got Johnny McNichol in the pipeline and Scotland continue with kilted kiwis rather than residency qualified players.

This really needs to be sorted out asap along with an international rugby calendar. Pichot clearly wants to do both.

I'd also like to see an amnesty to allow tier one players return to play for the real countries along with a proper set of fixtures that see the Top 14, PRO14 and the English top flight shut down for a month to allow the best players to play international rugby.

Does anyone know why Fritz Lee doesn't play for Samoa?

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    I was wondering the same thing, but believe that it was announced a while ago.

Leave a comment:

• Ray de Galles
    replied
    Did I miss the news that Andy Farrell was stepping up to succeed Joe Schmidt or just forget about it? It vaguely crossed my mind that I didn't know who the new head coach was going to be when there was the fuss about Schmidt's final game on Saturday.

I only realised when I saw this article on twitter about the new regime which, depressingly, highlights FIVE southern hemisphere players in their late twenties Ireland are seemingly waiting on to qualify.

Leave a comment:

• Etienne
    replied
    I guess it's more risky because if you kick to the lesser populated side you have much less defensive cover if they run back at you.

Leave a comment:

• Ray de Galles
    replied
    Yes they can, Sexton used to do a lot of that as I recall.

Leave a comment:

• Rogin the Armchair fan
    replied
    Does the team kicking off have to indicate to their opponents broadly where they're going to kick it, or was that just a protocol my old games teacher made us follow? It usually seems to be the case that both sides line up on one side of the pitch, and that's where the kick goes. Do/can teams employ a sneaky kick to the "unexpected" side?

Leave a comment:

• Ray de Galles
    replied
    Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post

Oh. That isn’t at all clear in any of the rules I’ve read. I thought the scoring team usually got the ball back but wasn’t sure.
    It's an oddity of rugby and significantly increases how important momentum is in the game. You let in 3, 5 or 7 points and then usually give the ball back to your opponent.

It is reversed in Sevens where the team that scores has to take the restart kick.

Leave a comment:

• Ray de Galles
    replied
    It was, amazing that they can exclude the pivotal moment of the match!

Navidi is out of the tournament and it looks like we will call up a back to replace him, Scott Williams at centre seems the most likely with our paucity of options there.
    Last edited by Ray de Galles; 21-10-2019, 10:39.

Leave a comment:

• jefe
    replied
    Peyper misses a neck hold and an elbow right in front of him.
    If this was describing what got France a red card, thank you, because NBC's 15 minutes of highlights didn't bother including it.

Leave a comment:

• Hot Pepsi
    replied

As tee rex alludes to, the opposition get the ball after conceding but have to kick it at least ten metres forward at the restart which usually results in the team who just scored regaining possession.
    Oh. That isn’t at all clear in any of the rules I’ve read. I thought the scoring team usually got the ball back but wasn’t sure.

Leave a comment:

• Ray de Galles
    replied
    Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post

But if you score the penalty, the other team gets it at midfield, right? So you’re giving up potentially 4 pts and the ball, right?
    As tee rex alludes to, the opposition get the ball after conceding but have to kick it at least ten metres forward at the restart which usually results in the team who just scored regaining possession.

Leave a comment:

• tee rex
    replied
    HP, one of the changes in the game with professionalism, greater fitness etc (at the top level anyway) is that teams are more likely to turn down a shot at goal and back themselves to turn 3 points into 7. I don't have stats on that, it's a "reckon" based on the number of times I shout "Take the three, you fools" at the TV. They ignore my advice and are often vindicated.

You would also back yourselves to reclaim the ball at the restart, which receiving teams usually do.

(restarts being illegal as often as not, with players encroaching, cue more shouting from me, at the ref this time)

Leave a comment:

Working...
X