Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rogin the Armchair fan
    replied
    War of attrition this, but fascinating rugby nonetheless.

Leave a comment:

• Mr Cogito
    replied
    Originally posted by Muukalainen View Post
    ... one-dimensional game so far.
    Oh, I don't know. Seems like the up/down dimension is in play as much as the forward/backward dimension.

Leave a comment:

• Levin
    replied
    This game is all of BB&F's criticisms come to life so far.

I heard some people speaking welsh on the bus yesterday. It was lovely, Welsh is so pleasing to the ear.

Leave a comment:

• Muukalainen
    replied
    Scrappy, one-dimensional game so far.

Leave a comment:

• Sporting
    replied
    Quick trivial question (I don't know the answer): how many of the Welsh squad are fluent Welsh speakers?

Leave a comment:

• ChrisJ
    replied
    Mrs CJ contracting a sudden dramatic stomach bug has found us postponing Rajasthan for a couple of days in favour of a posh(ish!)!hotel in Delhi.

Having not not seen a minute of the entire WC to date, I find myself mouthing Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau at a huge, crystal clear HD TV. (Sound off as she’s sleeping.)

Is it wrong to have mixed feelings about the whole situation?

Edit- I should clarify that she’s not very ill, just not confident to stray too far from the toilet.
    Last edited by ChrisJ; 27-10-2019, 09:02.

Leave a comment:

• Sporting
    replied
    Nice little Glamorgan Wanderers banner in the stadium.

Leave a comment:

• ooh aah
    replied
    Oh I guess I misheard then, as it happened he said sth, and I thought he was acknowledging that he would go back and look at it.

Leave a comment:

• Nocturnal Submission
    replied
    Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
    Once the player at the back of the maul lost control forward and it touched another element of the play, i.e. his team mate, it's an offence.

Cheers for the explanation.

Leave a comment:

• Ray de Galles
    replied
    Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post

He wouldn't have and that's a try all day long in the pre-TMO age. I'm not well enough versed on rugby rules to comment but one of the TV co-commentators thought that there hadn't been an offence committed as the player who had supposedly released the ball forward had kept his hand or hands on it or something.
    Once the player at the back of the maul lost control forward and it touched another element of the play, i.e. his team mate, it's an offence.

Leave a comment:

• Ray de Galles
    replied

Did he? I thought, from what he initially said to the TMO, that he thought it was good, but I may well have misheard or got the wrong end of the stick.
    While the ball was still live he told a complaining NZ player that he thought there was no block, then asked the question of the TMO after the try was scored.

I think it was a good example of "safety net" refereeing, better let the play run then go to the TMO if there's any doubt.

Leave a comment:

• Hot Pepsi
    replied
    Brian Hightower, one of NBC’s commentators, went to college with me. I didn’t know him but I knew he was good at rugby and he played lacrosse a bit the one season I was on the club team too.

Leave a comment:

• Nocturnal Submission
    replied
    Originally posted by jameswba View Post
    I've no idea how he was supposed to have seen the offence that led to the second try in real time.

He wouldn't have and that's a try all day long in the pre-TMO age. I'm not well enough versed on rugby rules to comment but one of the TV co-commentators thought that there hadn't been an offence committed as the player who had supposedly released the ball forward had kept his hand or hands on it or something. Anyway...

I thought Owens missed a couple of forward passes by the AB as well, but he's always great to listen to.

Leave a comment:

• jameswba
    replied

Did he? I thought, from what he initially said to the TMO, that he thought it was good, but I may well have misheard or got the wrong end of the stick.
    I think I heard that too, but I don't think it matters. Letting the play go in the circumstances was surely preferable to whistling for the offence - if there hadn't been one, he'd have prevented a fair try.

I've no idea how he was supposed to have seen the offence that led to the second try in real time.

Leave a comment:

• Wouter D
    replied
    Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
    I can't see Wales beating England if England play like that
    That's a big "if", though.

Leave a comment:

• Nocturnal Submission
    replied
    Originally posted by ooh aah View Post
    Nah, as Ray said he knew straight away there was a block for the first one, but wisely let it carry on and then check the review to be certain.

Leave a comment:

• ooh aah
    replied
    Nah, as Ray said he knew straight away there was a block for the first one, but wisely let it carry on and then check the review to be certain.

Leave a comment:

• pebblethefish
    replied
    Originally posted by jameswba View Post
    Is there a case for nominating Nigel Owens as the best current referee/umpire in any sport? I'm almost at the point with rugby that I'd decide to watch a game based purely on him being in charge.
    Well, no... He awarded two tries that were subsequently shown to be wrong, so he had a bad game, right?

Leave a comment:

• jameswba
    replied
    Is there a case for nominating Nigel Owens as the best current referee/umpire in any sport? I'm almost at the point with rugby that I'd decide to watch a game based purely on him being in charge.

Leave a comment:

• Sporting
    replied
    I said more or less the same upthread.

Leave a comment:

• Patrick Thistle
    replied
    Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post
    Bloody hell. It's going to be England v Wales in the final.
    May be out of line here but I can't see Wales beating England if England play like that and I'd rather they not play them at all than lose a World Cup final.

Leave a comment:

• Ray de Galles
    replied
    Originally posted by tee rex View Post

Edit: Actually, it really is just as well NZ didn't win. The TMO conspiracy theories would have gone on forever. (The maul disallowed try might have been strictly correct, but that happens in mauls all the time, unseen).
    Both tries were disallowed quite correctly though. The first was blatant blocking, even if Owens let the game run on knowing he could check the TMO.

While the second might have been an eagle-eyed spot of a technical infringement, it's good to see that the total mess that is the modern driving maul officiated properly in such a big game even if it isn't in lesser ones. In that regard it's like Warburton's red in 2011 again.
    Last edited by Ray de Galles; 26-10-2019, 11:31.

Leave a comment:

• Sits
    replied
    Defence becoming attack, relentlessly. How many turnovers where there?

Leave a comment:

• Ray de Galles
    replied
    Originally posted by tee rex View Post

A bunch of ABs didn't turn up.
    England didn't allow them to turn up, they ran the game and made the fast attacking start that shatters NZ's momentum and myth before suffocating them in defence.

Hansen's daft gamble with Scott Barrett didn't help but this was England dominating not the All Blacks choking.

Leave a comment:

• tee rex
    replied
    Not half as annoyed as I might have been, given that performance by England. Would have been complete robbery if they'd lost to a bit of broken play in the late stages.

A bunch of ABs didn't turn up.

Edit: Actually, it really is just as well NZ didn't win. The TMO conspiracy theories would have gone on forever. (The maul disallowed try might have been strictly correct, but that happens in mauls all the time, unseen).
    Last edited by tee rex; 26-10-2019, 10:18.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X