No announcement yet.

Declining sports

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have no idea where this came from. It isn't a thing here at all and seems very "flyover country".

There are official collegiate "Lumberjack" Championships which can be interesting to watch. The final has been in Central Park.

Comment

An irish team got to the world championships final.

It seems like the sort of sport you can make progress in quickly. I know that there's a club after opening up in Galway. You see ads for them around. They're looking to make it into a sort of stag do event to pay the bills I think.

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
        I was equally surprised by seeing college cornhole on a TV screen in a bar fairly recently. Ole Miss against the Razorbacks, I think, which would make sense. I wonder if anyone gets a cornhole scholarship to university these days?
        Only if you can double up with Division A level flip-cup or beer pong.

Comment

My local crown green bowls club has been turned into a 'community asset' hub type place. The club that met there just stopped a few years ago and abandoned the place. The local kids used the green as an illicit kick about spot but it's just weeds now. I think the council owns it as it's part of a park so that might be where the community asset project came from . They have a repair cafe where you can take broken stuff and get it fixed and things like that. I don't know if that's symptomatic of a decline in crown green bowls generally. It's one of those 'invisible' sports that you won;t see unless you know where to look.

Losing a lot of pubs means a lot of skittle alleys have gone as well.

Comment

In 'Sports that never really got started' about 10 years ago people kept trying to get me to play Korfball. I haven't seen that explode onto the scene yet.

Comment

Thanks for the Markovits recommendation NHH (is recommendation too strong?). I've been thinking a lot, or at least some, about sports expanding into new markets, with special regard to Handball in the UK. I keep getting stuck on how, if Handball were to become a "successful" sport it would probably have to sideline a lot of what currently makes it special or even exist at the moment.

Anyway probably a different thread.

Comment

Today on ESPN3

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                  In 'Sports that never really got started' about 10 years ago people kept trying to get me to play Korfball. I haven't seen that explode onto the scene yet.
                  Someone here (or used to be here) was big into Korfball. Like, they were involved in the executive level of it and everything. No memory of who it was, though.

[Etienne...but not confirmed.]

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post
                    It seems like the sort of sport you can make progress in quickly. I know that there's a club after opening up in Galway. You see ads for them around. They're looking to make it into a sort of stag do event to pay the bills I think.
                    There's a busy place in Toronto that specializes in it. I'd venture that I know 100 people who've done it, and all 100 went as part of some kind of office / team building / morale night. I don't think it's a date-night event.

Comment

well it all depends on the couple I suppose.....

Comment

The 2019 Canadian National Axe Throwing Championships will take place in just down the coast from us, in Liverpool. There was an international competition there last summer too - was pretty popular, judging by the reports in the local press.

Comment

Etienne is our Korfball expert.

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
                            I admit to being in a bit of a beach-volleyball-mecca bubble, but I see no sign of a decline in Beach Volleyball here.
                            It had a surge in the 80s and 90s - the heyday of ESPN2 - on TV and nationwide, but the AVP tour went bankrupt a few years back and it’s struggling as a pro sport now, at least in the US.

It’s still a popular pastime on many beaches, of course. And it’s an NCAA sport for women now. So it’s not going to disappear. But it looked like it was going to sweep the planet in 1990 and it didn’t.

Bowling is not as popular as it was 50 years ago, I suppose, but I don’t know if it’s in decline any more. It may have bottomed out a few years ago.

Jai Alai may still be popular in Basque but it’s all but gone in the US, so that counts as a decline. I don’t know how it’s doing in Mexico.

Comment

I used the wrong form of it’s/its at least three times in that post.

Comment

Nope...not unless you've edited.

Comment

Korfballer has been fairly static in numbers nationally for 40 years. However that masked an increase in clubs nationally, and a decline in the south east which has been the sports heartland in the UK. There was a bit of a boom in South Wales about 10 years ago which may have contributed to PT being pestered then, but the Welsh League is as big as it's ever been now. Korfball suffers a) from not being played in schools b) from not being brilliant tv, and c) that the Dutch are basically unbeatable. But it's the most enjoyable sport to play that I've ever tried.

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
                                    Nope...not unless you've edited.
                                    Weird. I didn’t edit it, but now it looks fine. It appears that apostrophes don’t show up in my view after I’ve posted it.

Comment

Originally posted by Etienne View Post
                                      Korfballer has been fairly static in numbers nationally for 40 years. However that masked an increase in clubs nationally, and a decline in the south east which has been the sports heartland in the UK. There was a bit of a boom in South Wales about 10 years ago which may have contributed to PT being pestered then, but the Welsh League is as big as it's ever been now. Korfball suffers a) from not being played in schools b) from not being brilliant tv, and c) that the Dutch are basically unbeatable. But it's the most enjoyable sport to play that I've ever tried.
                                      Is korfball like netball?

Comment

Looks like things are starting to move in the international korfball scene as per the sport's World Games:

Comment

HP, yeah. But it's more tactical and varied, and a bit slower.

Comment

Harness racing. Like greyhounds, an inefficient use of land for low-return gambling.

Comment

More importantly, it promotes cruelty to animals.

Comment

Netball looks like basketball with all the remotely exciting and interesting aspects removed.

Comment

That would be basketball. Boom! My work here is done.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
                                                    Netball looks like basketball with all the remotely exciting and interesting aspects removed.
                                                    Having attended a few NBA & Olympic basketball games and some Commonwealth Games Netball matches, I’ve always found the latter the more exciting and watchable sport.
                                                    Last edited by Ray de Galles; 15-01-2019, 00:06.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X