No announcement yet.

Andy Murray To Retire by the End of Wimbledon 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yep, great player. One does have to wonder whether the sport might react to the fact that one of their top players ends up having to retire with a hip that he already knows needs eventual replacement.

Comment

Top level sport always carries that risk but young players are perhaps not being made sufficiently aware that choosing this as a career means you may be disabled in retirement.

Comment

If I had to pick a sporting hero over the last 20 years, it would have to be Murray, for all the many reasons mentioned above.

What makes him all the more remarkable is that he managed to persist in his incredibly drive to win and improve, and keep his excellent character despite representing a country which is all too ready to undermine its sporting heros.

My own family is a perfect example. My sister and I adore him. My mum, once a decent player, and my other sister despise him. Their reasons for this are plainly ridiculous. Mostly to do with his on court demeanour.

I agree he'll be a huge success in whatever he chooses to do in the future. And I really look forward to watching him do it.

Comment

Actually, I must concur about that US Open final being one of the most exciting gripping sports competitions that I have ever seen.

Comment

Didn’t you listen to it on the radio though? I remember discussing it at the time with you on social media.
            Last edited by Ray de Galles; 13-01-2019, 13:45.

Comment

No, I watched it. Having said that, it does seem odd as I doubt it was on terrestrial.

Comment

Was it a final postponed to the Monday?

Comment

It was indeed. I remember there being high winds of the final weekend. During one of the semi finals, the chairs that the players sit on during breaks blew across the court. Djokovic had to come back on the Sunday to turn his semi final around against David Ferrer.

Comment

Originally posted by Bordeaux Education View Post
                    No, I watched it. Having said that, it does seem odd as I doubt it was on terrestrial.
                    It wasn’t, it was on Sky. We had an exchange at the time where you asked me what channel I was watching it on and you said it had “a ‘shot heard around the world’ feel on radio”.

I think you might have found a hooky feed.
                    Last edited by Ray de Galles; 13-01-2019, 21:46.

Comment

That sounds familiar.

Comment

The thing I liked the most about him is that for an international sportsman he seemed to embody the sort of conversational and interpersonal directness of a Taggart character. Particularly when it came to some of those rows over equality later in his career. You always kind of wonder a bit about 'celebrities' who get involved in such rows, and you kind of find yourself wondering if they've got a #metoo problem coming up, but with Murray you could see that this sort of thing just pissed him off on a fundamental level, and he was only dying for a row. Unfortunately he would express himself so directly, clearly and vehemently that only a true madman would take him on directly. Funny bastard too.

Actually the best thing about him was how he was so far removed from Tim Henman in so many different ways. It was hilarious watching the Daily Mail readers of Henman hill trying to clutch him to their bosoms, when he was such a very spiky Scottish Thistle. Pity for him (and the other three lads) that the four best male tennis players of all time were all born within a couple of years of each other.

Comment

Working...
                        X