The "Witness Protection" PGA championship

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's what the local papers are calling it, apparently, after this year's USPGA has descended (so far) into as much of a contest for the fans and press in identifying the leaders, as the players themselves in tackling the course.

With a round to go, the joint lead is shared by Brendan Steele and Jason Dufner, with Keegan Bradley a shot further back. The first and last of those have won on this year's PGA tour, but both are rookies, and Dufner has been toiling away for five years without winning so much as the Tahoe Classic. None came into this event ranked among the world's top 75. The most recognisable name on the leaderboard is Steve Stricker, who finished runner-up in this championship thirteen years ago and has never come as close to a major since, and the anticipated shootout between Luke Donald and Lee Westwood will have to begin from six shots back if it's going to materialise.

Far more likely is tonight will crown another champion like Rich Beem (like Steele and Bradley someone with one previous win) or Shaun Micheel (for whom the PGA was his first ever win, as it would be for Dufner).

Pah, Rogin. I logged on to post how we're looking at another Rich Beem or Shaun Micheel with the collection of unknowns at the top of the leaderboard, but you beat me to it.

Going into the back nine on the final day, David Toms is the only major winner in the top ten. You have to go back to the South African pair of Trevor Immelman & Charl Schwartzel seven shots back to find the next major winners. Looks like we're looking at a maiden victory.

There hasn't been an American winner of a major since Phil Mickleson's victory at Augusta in April 2010. That's six consecutive non-American major winners. The run looked certain to end up to a few hours ago, but Robert Karlsson & Anders Hansen have moved into contention, so the run may well continue.

Comment

So Keegan Bradley wins his maiden major, and the Americans barren run ends.

At one point in the back nine, Jason Duffner held a five-shot lead. Admittedly a few moments after others dropped shots brought about this lead, Duffner put the ball into the water, ensuring the lead wasn't that much. But, yes, the leaderboard said Duffner led by five shots whilst on the back nine.

I'm trying to recall the last time such a lead was lost on the Sunday in a major. When Greg Norman blew his six-shot lead at Augusta in 1996, it had all-but-evaporated by the turn. Duffner enjoyed his big lead after 14 holes. This may be the worst.

Comment

Complete collapse, and yet he came across as steely and unperturbed as he finished the round, and started the play-off.

Great finish; the title's probably a bit unfair to the eventual champion, who's put together a bunch of decent showings now, and was very unlucky just last week.

Comment

Outside Agent wrote:
          I'm trying to recall the last time such a lead was lost on the Sunday in a major. When Greg Norman blew his six-shot lead at Augusta in 1996, it had all-but-evaporated by the turn. Duffner enjoyed his big lead after 14 holes. This may be the worst.
          Van de Velde. 3 shot lead standing on the final tee, and if I remember correctly a 4 shot lead whilst playing the preceding hole.

Comment

Dufner will regret that pushed tee shot at 15 for the rest of his life, but in truth, if he'd played safe and laid up short and left of the green, he might well have taken three more anyway to end up with the same bogey he did walk off that green with.

Most costly error of the final day was, ironically, Bradley's, when he thinned his chip across the 15ht green into the pond to give Dufner the 5-shot lead to begin with.

Comment

Janik wrote:
              Outside Agent wrote:
              Van de Velde. 3 shot lead standing on the final tee, and if I remember correctly a 4 shot lead whilst playing the preceding hole.
              Jesus, how did I forget Van de Velde? The man's name is synonomous with the late collapse.

Bradley's victory means that all four majors were won by first-timers this year. Trying to think if that's happened before.

Comment

Outside Agent wrote:

Bradley's victory means that all four majors were won by first-timers this year. Trying to think if that's happened before.
                Bit of research shows only three times before in the era of the modern 4 majors, with an interesting set of players in that mix.

In 1959, the Majors went to Art Wall, Billy Casper and Bob Rosburg, who had been top players for several years, and a young kid called Gary Player.

In 1969, the Majors went to George Archer, a solid enough tour player with several wins, the unknown Orville Moody, Ray Floyd, for whom 1969 was something of a breakthrough year aged 27, and a young kid called Tony Jacklin.

2003 was the last time all 4 went to first-timers, and the only year (to date) that none of the 4 have won again. Mike Weir, Jim Furyk, the unknown Shaun Micheel, and an even more unknown young kid called Ben Curtis.

If there's a pattern in there leading to an omen, it's that this year's young kid McIlroy wants to follow in Player's footsteps, not Curtis's.

Comment

Working...
                X