Seventeen Years Ago tonight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

...the dream died. We lost 4-0 to Pittsburgh, but that didn't matter because we;d only lost 2 of the previous 21. We were on fire. And we had the second-lowest payroll in the league.

Leadoff - Marquis Grissom (CF). Gold glove. 36 steals. An OBP of .333
    2. Mike Lansing (2B). Not quite what he was in his rookie season, but when you get 400 quality at bats and solid fielding from a guy making 200K, you don't complain.
    3. Moises Alou (LF/RF). God I loved him. He was on his way to 200 hits and 35 HRs - and this after having essentially been crippled the previous September by getting his cleats caught in shitty turf in St. Louis. And when he clubbed one, we'd all howl at the moon - Aloooooooooooooooooooo!
    4. Larry Walker (RF/1B). Fuck Fergie Jenkins, Walker was the greatest Canadian to ever play the game. There was nothing more beautiful than a Walker 3-run homer. And his arm was a cannon - though this year he blew rotator cuff and got moved to 1B in June.
    5. Sean Berry (3B). The only real weak link. Couldn't clutch hit worth a damn.
    6. Wil Cordero (SS). Yeah, you may remember him from his crappy later years, but in 1994 he was good enough to be an all-star and a silver slugger. And his clutch hitting was like something out of a movie - real Roy of the Rovers stuff.
    7. Darrin Fletcher (C). Nice guy. Slow as molasses. How slow? Possibly the only man in history to have an out-of-the-park triple.
    8. Cliff Floyd (LF/1B). Yeah, that's right. We were so fucking good, Floyd hit eighth sometimes. While hitting .281. Suck on that.

The back-ups: Rondell White, you heard of him right? You might have heard of Lenny Webster, too. And Randy Milligan, in the twilight of his career. But the rest were total no-names: Lou Frazier, Juan Bell, Freddie Benavides, Jeff Gardner, Tim Spehr.

How'd we score over 5 runs a game with a bench like that? Oh, right - because Felipe's a genius.

The Rotation: Ken Hill, Jeff Fassero, Pedro Martinez, Butch Henry, Kirk Reuter. Other than Hill, none of them had been big-league starters for more than 18 months. Hill was 16-5, coating towards being the team's only-ever 20-game winner. Fassero was our lefty genius. Pedro was in his first full season as a starter and hadn't yet *quite* figured out the whole "control" thing, so it was a little bit of Nuke Lalouche every time he went out to pitch. Reuter was a junkball king and Henry...well, if Butch hadn't had such a bum elbow, he could have been one of the greats. A 2.43 ERA and after Maddux probably the best starter in the whole league that year.

And the bullpen - oh, the bullpen. It was to fucking die for. Gil Heredia was the swing man. Jeff Shaw - yes that one, the two-time all-star with the 200 career saves - was 4th(!) on the depth chart. Ahead of him was set-up man extraordinaire Tim Scott. He never got the credit he deserved, but when he came to the mound and the stadium DJ played his theme tune (I'll be There, by the Four Tops), you knew things were going to be all right. Mel Rojas was the backup closer.

And then there was Wetteland. John Wetteland. My God, he was a magnificent bastard. Half the time, he'd come on like an avenging angel and mow batters down like they were fairground conches. The other half, he'd load the bases with three leadoff walks, *then* mow them down. His performances deserved health warnings.

Then came the strike. The cancelled post-season. The fire sale of 1995.

And then they were gone.

Because they never played a post-season, it's like they never existed. But they played some of the most beautiful baseball you ever saw. If Fay Vincent hadn't got whacked in '92, there'd have been no strike and we'd have won the World Series that year. There would still be a team in Montreal.

I'll probably spend every August 12th thinking about this for the rest of my life.

Comment

I'll forever be pissed because my dad had got me tickets to see the Giants v. Dodgers...third base line, field level. I'd never sat that close at a game before (and I still haven't), and I'd get to see Matt Williams, my favorite player, playing third base (just like I did) and he was on pace to break the home run record. Our game was in the third week of August. And then the strike.

I've never really cared about baseball all that much since.

Comment

I'm not sure the Expos would still be there if they'd won that year. The Twins won two World Series and they came close to being contracted. Most of the owners support Bud's push for new publically funded stadiums and Montreal wasn't willing to do that. Would they have been more receptive if the team had won a title? Unsure. But one way or the other, the Expos were leaving Olympic Stadium.

I lost interest in baseball before the strike. For me it was Marge Schott. I thought the strike might resolve baseball's structural equality, but it didn't really. I like baseball a lot more than I used to, but I prefer college and minor league baseball to major league baseball. It's just frustrating that my local teams on those levels aren't very successful.

Comment

I feel your pain, AG. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

The stadium deal fell apart because Loria let the option on the land lapse, not because of either level of government.

Comment

My aunt, my dad and I had Stadium Club tickets at Shea for a Mets game on the 17th. Back then it was like getting an invite from the Queen to Buckingham Palace - what a totally unheard of thing to be sitting in premium seats.

The Expos thing was sad, double sad because even at the time I think a lot of people knew they weren't going to get a second chance. It's more symbolic than anything though - if they hadn't been owned by the band of idiots headed by Claude Brochu or Jeffrey Loria but had been sold to capable ownership, they'd be fine even having lost '94.

Comment

Antoine Gramcy wrote:
                The stadium deal fell apart because Loria let the option on the land lapse, not because of either level of government.
                Really? I thought they were asking for government funding and then Loria was installed to deliberately strangle the team while they waited for DC to get it's act together so that attendance would dwindle and they'd have an excuse to move the team to DC. Perhaps I'm remembering it wrong.

There was also a period when it looked like DC would be a temporary stop. That stadium deal was a typical dysfunctional DC government show. They couldn't even give away free money to millionaires in a clean and orderly fashion.

Montreal may be more deserving, but it's good that DC has a team and I was glad when I was living there and that happened, but at that point, there was zero chance they'd stay in Montreal. It was DC or bust.

It's upsetting that Montreal lost the Expos because, as I've discussed here before, they appeared to take all of Canadian baseball with them. Canada has one MLB team that doesn't draw nearly as well as it used to, three independent pro teams and one short season pro team. They used to have a few AAA and some more short season teams, but no longer. Sad.

I think Joey Votto will eventually prove to be the best Canadian player ever.

Comment

That hurts, AG.

Don't have much to add other than wonderful post and wonderful team. The Andres Gallaraga, Moises Alou, and Randy Johnson rookie cards are amongst my favorites as well.

The Yanks and Donnie Baseball would've beaten them, however.

Comment

On second thought, Larry Walker may remain the greatest Canadian player. His WAR in most seasons is slightly above what Votto has done so far. I thought his numbers were inflated by his time in Colorado, but I think the stat-heads who calculate WAR somehow incorporate park-specific factors.

I'm watching the "10th Inning" of Ken Burns' Baseball series. I haven't seen it before.

George Will comes off as surprisingly pro-union and pro revenue sharing.
                    I still hate the Ted Turner-era Braves. That was one of several things that turned me off of baseball. I'm also reminded that the 2004 Red Sox were one of the things that drew me back, because it was the first time, I think, that evil (Yankees, tomahawk choppers), or horrible uniforms (Marlins, Diamondbacks) hadn't prevailed in over a decade. What's worst about the Yankees is that Steinbrenner gets credit for their 1990s success despite having little to do with it's creation.

Comment

jasoń voorhees wrote:
                      The Yanks and Donnie Baseball would've beaten them, however.
                      Having watched us take 2 of 3 from the Braves just before the all-star break in a series that sure felt like a post-season, I have to say I'm pretty sure you're wrong - my boys could pull wins out their ass even when they were playing badly (which is the mark of a truly great team, no matter what sport).

But it would have been great to find out. The Yanks were the best team in the AL when the strike hit - I didn't watch a lot of AL ball, but they seemed like a pretty strong team (Williams, Mattingly, Boggs, plus Paul O'Neill having a career year). Three or four years, later, there'd have been some inter-league play to see how the teams did against each other in advance of a series, but by then we sucked so hard it was barely worth going to see.

Comment

Working...
                      X