Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ali, Freeman, Kaklamanakis, Ning.. Redmond?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, a year tomorrow someone will be lighting an Olympic cauldron..

I was just listening to 5live and they broadcast a piece on this fellow and his Dad.

Can anyone think of anyone more appropriate?

Not so sure about Redmond, touching though it would be. I'd be inclined to think it will end up being Redgrave.
    Just as long as fucking Beckham doesn't end up doing it.

Comment

Sean of the Shed wrote:
      Not so sure about Redmond, touching though it would be. I'd be inclined to think it will end up being Redgrave.
      Just as long as fucking Beckham doesn't end up doing it.
      Aboslutely agree with you about Beckham, but then again, he has no Olympic history, so that makes it unlikely. I'm sure he'll have some starring role to play somewhere though.

Redgrave is the obvious choice but Redmond is a good call - still one of my abiding memories of the Olympics.

Comment

Redgrave is most likely, on a poll on 5live 44% voted for him to be the cauldron lighter.

I aint got too much of a problem with it, other than saying that I think the Olympic spirit for me is better encompassed by the Derek & Jim Redmond (his Dad) event at Barcelona 92

Its not all about the winning is it? giving it to the greatest achiever? what could be more fitting? It would make for great theatrics in the opening ceremony too.

Agree on Beckham, the thought makes me do a vomit in my mouth, what's the bets he's involved in the team GB football team?

Comment

The other thing about this is that it was, at the Barcelona 92 Olympics, Antonio Rebollo was the first paralympian to light the Olympic Cauldron.

The Derek Redmond story is even more amazing than that. After he was told to give up running and that he would never compete at a hight level again he played basketball for the Great Britain basketball team and had trial for the English rugby sevens squad

Anyway, if anyone is interested, I have started a Facebook group to see if we can get this idea going.

http://www.facebook.com/groups/260181980664434/

Comment

He's now a motivational speaker. Whatever the fuck that means.

Comment

hobbes wrote:
              He's now a motivational speaker. Whatever the fuck that means.
              Not like Denver Mills.

Comment

Working...
              X