Changed championships

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Changed championships

What championship results - in whatever sport - might have ended up with a different result had the rules (such as points allocations for a win/draw/etc.) been as they now currently are?

I'm asking this because I always used to hate the fact that, back in the 70s and 80s, formula 1 used to have what I thought was a silly points system, whereas motorcycle racing (what is now Moto GP) seemed to have it right. Of course, F1 has now adopted such a system, with more points awarded for a win and points awarded further down the order.

However, would that points change have altered anything and are there any other such examples?

Changed championships

On a point of order, the F1 championship now rewards victories less , not more, doesn't it? It used to be 9-6-4-3-2-1, now it's 25-18-15-12-10-8 (with minor points down to 10th place), so whereas a win used to be worth the same as a second place and a fourth place, and more than two third places, now a 2nd and a 4th place, or two third places, would be worth more than a win. The new system will therefore better reward consistent podium finishers more than winners who crash half the time (not that that's much of a factor this season).

They did used to have some weird rule in F1 about only counting your best 10 results, or something, I remember, and I could never understand what that was meant to reward or encourage.

Comment

Changed championships

Ipswich Town would have won Division 1 in 1974-75 under the 3-1-0 points system. As it was they finished third, behind Derby and Liverpool.

Derby 21 - 11 - 10 - +18 - 53 (74)
      Liverpool 20 - 11 - 11 - +21 - 51 (71)
      Ipswich 23 - 5 - 14 - +22 - 51 (74)

Comment

Changed championships

I seem to recal reading somewhere that Man Utd's 1966-67 championship was won due to a superior goal average than Leeds. Had goal difference been used Leeds would have won. So no championship in 67 means no European cup in 68.

Of course it could be bollocks, I could have imagined the whole thing

Comment

Changed championships

Ipswich Town would have won Division 1 in 1974-75 under the 3-1-0 points system. As it was they finished third, behind Derby and Liverpool.

Hang on, if I'm reading that right Derby won the league having lost 10 games!

Comment

Changed championships

Edit: re the League being won on goal average from ooh aah) - the Leeds/Man U one was 1965, not 1967, and I think Man U would have still won on GD, in fact even more comfortably. Liverpool, however, would have won the title on GA (not lost it on goals scored) had that system been retained for some reason as the decider in 1989.

As for champions (Derby in 1975) losing as many as 10 games, this was far from unique in the era when the top division used to be a proper competition - Liverpool won the title losing 10 times in 1947 and indeed won it losing 11 times in 1964, Shankly's first title. Portsmouth were also champions losing 11 times in 1950, as were Burnley in 1960. Ipswich themselves lost 10 times as well when they were champions in 1962.

No wonder the "double" used to be thought of as almost unattainable, when the champions were losing one in every four games (and only winning one in two), to get through 6 rounds of Cup ties without losing one game or replay suddenly looks statistically very unlikely.

Comment

Changed championships

Not exactly in line with the OP, but I do wonder if some golf championships over the years would have been different if they'd been decided along "stableford" scoring lines, like many amateur events are at club level, instead of "medal". For those who don't appreciate the difference, stableford effectively counts a double bogey the same (0) as a triple bogey or worse, whereas in medal every single shot counts against par. For amateur players, it means that the occasional "disaster" hole (which happens to us more often, obviously) doesn't necessarily destroy a card, whereas in medal it often does. It is unusual for a professional player to triple-bogey a hole, especially when in contention, but it has happened - Jean Van de Velde in 1999 is the obvious example. Had the Open been played under stableford rules, Van de Velde would have already had the Open won stood on the 18th tee, and all his fun and games up the last would have been simply delightfully comical, not tragi-comic. In 1978 at St.Andrews Tommy Nakajima was among the leaders toward the end of the 3rd round before taking a calamitous quintuple bogey at the Road Hole, that cost him +5 shots to par - under stableford that would have only "cost" him 2 against 'par' (and more importantly the rest of the field), and those 3 extra shots might therefore also have made a real difference to his chances in the final round.

Comment

Changed championships

The 1964-65 Scottish First Division leaps to mind for some reason. It was decided on goal average and Killie won it by 0.04 of a goal (1.87 to 1.83) from Hearts courtesy of a 2-0 win at Tynecastle on the last day of the season. If it had been down to goal difference Hearts would've been champions (+41 to +29).

Comment

Changed championships

ooh aah wrote:

Hang on, if I'm reading that right Derby won the league having lost 10 games!
                  Derby had a negative away goal difference that year. But this was far from unusual. In Division 1 that season no-one had a positive away goal difference. Everton, at parity, were the best. Oh, and no team won more away games than they lost.

Football was a lot more competitive in the recent past, wasn't it...

Comment

Working...
                  X