The Big Money cricket thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hot on the heels of all these Indian leagues, and the announcement of the Champions League, comes comfirmation that England will play Twenty20 games for Stanford's megabucks.

And it really is megabucks - £50 million.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cricket/7448467.stm

Love cricket,depise 20/20.

Comment

"Despise" would be too strong a word, but it's the least interesting form of the game, and it's going to be very sad if it overshadows the more interesting forms.

Comment

OK dislike.Now the money is being chucked about our great captain the village idiot suddenly decides he wants to get involved.Stick to what your good at,Vaughany.

Comment

My worry isn't so much about the form of cricket - I like a bit of Twenty20 - but the way the money's distributed. It looks like we're heading towards levels of inequality, between players and eventually clubs, that will make football's Premier League look like an egalitarian utopia.

This cash is gonna need some responsible and accountable allocation. Don't hold your breath...

Comment

£500,000 per man (for Stanford's Caribbean beanfest) eh? I suppose this means a deal to cut in failed one day players like Vaughan and others with central contracts.

I enjoyed the Kiwis beating Worcester in a 50 game yesterday. 600 runs and cheaper for the whole afternoon than a 2020 thrash. Both McCullum and Taylor, plus newly arrived Scotty Styris, all looked in good nick.

Comment

Working...
            X