Dressed like a Frenchman's nightmare

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

France RWC 2011 kit. Seriously. What. The. Fuck? What dickhead thought this was a good look?

Absolutely every French poster on planet-rugby hates it, and so does pretty much everyone else.

French kits down the years -

http://www.lequipemag.fr/EquipeMag/Avant_hier/PORTFOLIO_les-maillots-du-xv-de-france_7.html

Given that England's kit is also made by Nike and they cookie cut our colours into it, I am now seriously worried that we will end up with a half-red, half-white monstrosity.

I was hoping that you or Harry would post that.

As the L'Equipe slide show demonstrates, they've had some clunkers in the past (as well as some classics), but this one plumbs new depths.

I also wonder if they could wear it against the All Blacks; the sleeves and lower body are awfully dark.

Comment

Eggchaser wrote:Given that England's kit is also made by Nike and they cookie cut our colours into it, I am now seriously worried that we will end up with a half-red, half-white monstrosity.[/quote]

?

Comment

That England shirt is far worse than the new French one, which is bad but not the worst we've had.

The one thing I really, really hate is the blue shorts with the blue shirt, which started out in football and rugby about 10 years ago. The all whites are a bit wrong too.

Comment

ursus arctos wrote:
          I was hoping that you or Harry would post that.

As the L'Equipe slide show demonstrates, they've had some clunkers in the past (as well as some classics), but this one plumbs new depths.

I also wonder if they could wear it against the All Blacks; the sleeves and lower body are awfully dark.
          The deliberately darkened the blue for the last World Cup so as to force NZ in to their change grey shirts for their meeting.

What is that sunburst England shirt above?! If their real one follows the France template the second colour is likely to be grey not red on current trends, no?

Our WC shirt is pretty poor but not as bad as the current monstrosity;

Comment

Harry Truscott wrote:
            What is that sunburst England shirt above?!
            England 7s change strip. Popular with cretins as it "goes well with jeans", just like the purple monstrosity and the anthracite shitheap Nike foisted on us as away kits.

With that Wales shit, very clever of Under Armour to get round the IRB's "Manufacturer logos should be discreet" - they've stopped adidas doing the three stripes down the sleeve job for Argentina, for example, but one wonders how big it actually looks when not modelled by a small child.

Comment

Dear oh lord, what are they doing? I'm not an expert on branding but rugby union in most places probably has a fairly conservative fanbase. That's by no means all bad, and the team strips generally look classy. A proper designer will easily come up with some small changes that will keep everyone happy.

But hey, let's pretend it's skateboarding!

Good thread title, btw.

Comment

Recent rugby jerseys have become so divorced from what fans might wear that the manufacturers often produce a "supporter's replica" for sale that looks very little like what the players sport and a lot more like, er, a traditional rugby shirt. You can still buy a, usually more expensive, skintight gripper-stripped, polythene replica of the actual shirt as well.

Scotland's RWC offerings are a good example of this, I'll post some pics up later.

Comment

One of the things that is going on here is that "on field" rugby clothing is increasingly following gridiron football when it comes to "fit". This is of course relatively unsurprising given the increasing participation of US manufacturers and certain similarities between the two sports.

Over the last 15 years or so, gridiron clothing has undergone a severe reduction in size, while at the same time many of behemoths playing the game have bulked up to hitherto unimagined levels. The supposed goal here is to eliminate any possibility that an opponent might be able to grab onto a piece of fabric to gain an advantage. The result has a lot in common with sausage casings:

Comment

The same company make my T-shirts.

On the cricket front, Worcs are wearing this.

It would be over the top if you were facing Sylvester Clarke on a lively strip, let alone some "pace off the ball" trundler in Twenty20. Still, their heart was in the right place.

Comment

Harry Truscott wrote:
                      Recent rugby jerseys have become so divorced from what fans might wear that the manufacturers often produce a "supporter's replica" for sale that looks very little like what the players sport and a lot more like, er, a traditional rugby shirt. You can still buy a, usually more expensive, skintight gripper-stripped, polythene replica of the actual shirt as well.

Scotland's RWC offerings are a good example of this, I'll post some pics up later.
                      Save yourself the pain -

No, he isn't wearing his pants outside his shorts. Yes, that is gold trim. And as for the colour - well, here's what it should be...

It appears everyone is going down the "If we have a shirt that's almost black, New Zealand will have to play in their away strip and they'll lose that aura" (for an excellent example of just how well this can work, see Scotland's pool match vs New Zealand in RWC2007).

Comment

The French kits history photos seem to follow a very clear rule, terrible during World Cups, quite nice in between.

Comment

Eggchaser wrote:
                          Save yourself the pain -

Then compare it to the supporters' replica shirt ;

Comment

I can't decide which is worse, frankly.

Comment

USA! USA! USA!

Third kit, apparently. Top hat and goatee beard is optional.

Comment

And Romania -

Japan home -

Russia -

Comment

Do Emirates even fly to the US? It seems like we could get a more suitable shirt sponsor.

Comment

Eggchaser wrote:
                                    USA! USA! USA!

Third kit, apparently. Top hat and goatee beard is optional.
                                    Was that designed by Alexi Lalas?

Comment

Reed, Emirates fly out of JFK, LAX and Houston and have been promoting the hell out of that service to the international business market.

Comment

I see.

The new-fangled rugby jerseys make sense because they don't give opponents anything to grab onto. Compare gridiron jerseys of the 1980s vs today.

I don't think women's rugby has gone to the supertight shirts, however.

Comment

Bath's lovely new away shirt. Possibly modelled on Matt Banahan's tattoos.

Also, epic levels of preciousness are being reached by Kiwis over the fact that England's away kit will be BLACK! Horror! My opinion is it will just be shit but "look good with jeans".

Comment

Rugby shirts are uniformly fucking rubbish.

I'd go as far as to say that it's adversely affected my interest in the game. When I started watching/playing rugby, players wore cotton shirts with collars. Almost every international team had a handsome, wearable shirt.

Now they wear atrociously ugly bicycle tops in a vain attempt to capture a pathetically tiny slice of the football shirt market. Cunts, fucking cunts.

The USA should be wearing this:

Not the parade of Evel Knievel knock off crap Canterbury's designed for us.

Comment

Blimey.

Comment

I've had some pent up rage about this for a while; Nike utterly ruined the rugby shirt.

Comment

The cotton ones are better looking, but so were gridiron jerseys (I have a Jim Thorpe Rock Island Independents black one) as were flannel
                                                  Baseball jerseys and wool hockey sweaters, but they arent as practical for the actual game.

I've come to accept that it's ok for me to wear something in the team colors, etc, that is more suitable for sitting and watching as the players wear something suitable for what they are doing.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X