Barbarians

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Barbarians

I'm off to watch the Barbrians play this evening. They're playing an exhibition match against Richmond this evening as part of their 150th anniversary celebrations and I'm hoping for a decent game. I saw the Baa Baa's play South Africa last year and was very disappointed with the standard of play from SA. The kicking and lack of running is not what you expect from an exhibition match.

Then next week it's Bedford Vs Barbarians in another exhibition game which I'm yet to make a decision on whether to attend. Depends on whether tonight's game is any good.

Barbarians

I know how the Barbarians are supposed to play but I'm sure you can have too much running from under your own posts. Is it a bad thing they play more like they would in a "serious" match? That's actually playing to a higher standard, isn't it?

Comment

Barbarians

the babarians were traditionally 'based' in my home town, Penarth.Hence Penarth got to play them every good friday. I remember when penarth (who have always been crap) beat them. Possibly the only time i have found a rugby match exciting. Think i may even have been on the pitch at the end

Comment

Barbarians

The result last night was:

Richmond 36-45 Barbarians

Attendance: 2,227

The game was okay - lots of running and passing, but sometimes the game can be a bit to pure for it to be a proper contest. What disturbed be them the most was looking in the programme at the Richmond and Barbarians players and seeing how much the weigh. I play hooker and weigh just 13st 10. The Barbarians hooker was 6ft and came in at 17st 5 !!!

Comment

Barbarians

I wouldn't trust official stats, they are invariably bollocks. Players can range in height several inches and weight by a stone or two depending on whether they're playing for club or country, for example. Brian Moore said he met an old England hooker who always wore a massive overcoat when he met the selectors off the pitch to make him look bigger and the guy said the overcoat probably deserved more caps than he did.

Comment

Working...
          X