World Smoking Championships 2011

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What do we think? This year's looks like a belter, with Kemal Celikoglu's three-year reign likely to come to an end now that he’s lost a lung. Klaus Senkfuss has frequently been a bridesmaid, but he doesn't travel that well, and that arthritic finger doesn't seem to be getting any better.

Britain's Ken Snodgrass, who's apparently doing Marlboros this year, finished a surprise second at February's European Invitational and is a genuine contender after his failure in Novosibirsk last year. And I discount the rumours about Wang Li Zhang having contracted emphysema. But my suspicion is that Vern Dillhummer is going to top them all; those Winston Lights are very mild, and at 57 the "Inhalin' Idahoan" is near the top of his game.

Surprised OTFers haven't given more attention to this.

Very good.

Is Pipe Smoker of the Year still going?

Comment

Pipe Smoker of the Year appears to have been extinguished in 2003.

There's a good pub quiz question: what links JB Priestly, Tony Benn and Rod Hull?

Comment

Stumpy Pepys wrote:
        Pipe Smoker of the Year appears to have been extinguished in 2003.

There's a good pub quiz question: what links JB Priestly, Tony Benn and Rod Hull?
        They all lived in a massive pink windmill?

Comment

Oh that was JB Priestly? I thought it was Emu. Blimey, Jason Priestly doesn't look anything like him, does he?

Comment

They've all been up on their roof to fix a TV aerial?

Comment

See, thats the problem. The sails of the windmill are a nightmare for that.

Comment

So Senkfuss is out in a stub-off. Surprised his finger held out for as long as it did. And Snodgrass was a major disappointment with all that coughing; I don't know what got into him.

Must confess I didn't expect to see someone from Mali make the semis, but Diakite can really suck them in. For me, though Dillhummer's still the man. The nasal blockage complaint is just gamesmanship.

Comment

Well, that was all a bit anti-climactic wasn't it, once the building caught fire.

Comment

Working...
                  X