The boat race

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The boat race

What on Earth makes this thing so popular?

A race in a boring sport between just two names, who ninety-something percent of the country have no allegiance to.

The boat race

It is the sign of the start of Spring for me but I take your point.

Comment

The boat race

Funnily enough, of all the sporting events that make me think it's Spring the Masters is the one that finally confirms it.

Comment

The boat race

I've conducted a quick poll of everyone in my seat, and concluded that the only people that care about the boat race are without fail, posh pricks.

I refuse to alter my opinion no matter how many cases of decent people liking it may appear. It's shit, it's pointless and the epitomy of elitist dribble.

Well... maybe Augusta is that as well.

Comment

The boat race

In a way, though, that could be applied to the Champions League.

Comment

The boat race

I don't know how anyone can fail to be entranced by the Boat Race. For a start, you have to admire the rowers themselves, putting in all that effort into their studies to be able to be offered places at two of the World's top universities, and yet still be able to find the time to practice rowing so much they reach Olympic standard at that as well.

Then there's the marvellous spectacle of the rest of Britain's brightest and best, all gathered along the banks of the Thames to gaily cheer their representatives along, dispelling the tabloid myth that they are just a bunch of spoilt, drunken hooligans, whose "education" has been bought by Daddy's donations to the College Roof Fund.

The race itself is invariably thrilling as well, and is hardly ever all over by the end of the first bend. Indeed, once every century or so, someone sinks while they're winning!

Comment

The boat race

Sink when you're winning,
              You only sink when you're winning.

Comment

The boat race

When's the draw?

Comment

The boat race

They flip a coin to decide who gets which side of the river.

Sovereign, of course.

Rowing is a brilliant participatory sport, but you knew I was going to say that.

Comment

Working...
                  X