X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone but England

OTF's new favourite coach?

Anyone but England

Despite being a proud and patriotic Englishman, I quite enjoyed reading Lievremont's comments, (I didn't even click on the link, but I presume my guess is correct). I found them refreshingly honest.

I wonder how many pages of comment a English coach's refreshingly honest comments about the French would generate.

Comment

Anyone but England

I take the exact opposite view, I think: I'm not a proud English patriot, but a xenophobic arsehole is a xenophobic arsehole. And if the boot was on the other foot, and it was an English coach slagging the French, I'd also think "What a xenophobic arsehole".

Comment

Anyone but England

I mean, when did not having things in common become grounds for dislike? In any case, this idea that France and England are these vastly differing cultures is actually dead ethnocentric. We differ a lot by the standards of neighbouring European countries, perhaps. Chesterton used to blather on about how different France and England were, and he was a tit an all.

Comment

Anyone but England

Well, they are obnoxious comments. If he was talking about the team, they would be acceptable. But bringing in "quality of life" and the "conviviality of the Celts" makes it a little more personal.

Not knowing this dude, and not seeing the tone of his speech, it's also hard to see if it was said to be snide or in jest. You know, like those Frenchy Frogs do.

Comment

Anyone but England

I'll take it this is probably the rugby World Cup thread.

So...uh...Christchurch....were there any games to be held there ?

Comment

Anyone but England

7 matches scheduled for Christchurch:
              Argentina v England
              Australia v Italy
              England v Georgia
              Argentina v Scotland
              Australia v Russia
              QF2: W Pool B v RU Pool A
              QF4: W Pool A v RU Pool B

Comment

Anyone but England

The stadium seems to be OK, but they don't know yet about things like hotels. They might move the games to Australia.

Comment

Anyone but England

Also there were numerous aftershocks following the last quake, and there is a lot of work to do making sure that buildings can withstand further tremors, even if they are still standing right now.

Comment

Anyone but England

Why on Earth... wrote:
                    They might move the games to Australia.
                    Surely not. Elsewhere in New Zealand, maybe. But taking them to Australia cannot be acceptable to the local public.

Comment

Anyone but England

England looks pretty inspired, you have to wonder how much extra motivation Lièvremont has provided...

Comment

Anyone but England

I think it was more a case of how much demotivation his latest harebrained selections caused the French.

Comment

Anyone but England

Funnily enough, nobody in the village has sought me out specifically to talk to me about the rugby this week. Even the baker, normally a boisterous bundle of fun (which nobody needs at 06:30) when France win, has been noticeably more reticent when I'm picking up my baguette and croissants.

Has Chabal ever been any good? Much of his reputation seems to be built around his image: the fact that he tries his utmost to look a bit scary. If he still looked like this, would he even get selected?

Comment

Anyone but England

Jesus, look at the length of his arms! Even accounting for the fact his shorts are at old man's trousers level, they're freakishly long.

Excellent club player, has had a few decent Test games, otherwise a shirt filler.

Comment

Anyone but England

Even the baker, normally a boisterous bundle of fun (which nobody needs at 06:30) when France win, has been noticeably more reticent when I'm picking up my baguette and croissants.
                              I try not to think of my fellow members in terms of reductionist clichès; I really, really do. But in times like this is really hard to avoid.

Comment

Anyone but England

I try not to think of my fellow members in terms of reductionist clichès; I really, really do. But in times like this is really hard to avoid.
                                Similarly, I try not to think of my fellow members as smug, tiresome cunts; but at times like this it's really hard to avoid doing so.

I live in a village of 400 people in France. What d'you expect me to find for breakfast, a bowl of jauk and some pa-tong-fucking-goh?

Incidentally, if you're going to set yourself up as some kind of board lifestyle arbiter, you might want to brush up on your spelling and sentence structure so that it matches your lofty position. (Unless, obviously, you were demonstrating the non-clichéd way of doing things - in which case, well done you.)

Comment

Working...
                                X