No announcement yet.

The darts on Sky

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Watched that on BBC America. What a match.

Comment

The final is currently live on BBC America, and Rob Cross is steamrollering Taylor.

2-0 in sets, but a long way to go.

Comment

Cross let Taylor in on that fourth set for 3-1, just hope that doesn’t mean a momentum swing.

Comment

He really is a pathetic little cock :

Comment

This is just an astounding sporting performance. Cross is a monster, a star is born.

Comment

Hated the way the little cock was geeing the crowd up behind Cross's back and trying to get them on his side. One more set needed for Cross to properly rub it in. Hope he hands the board for Taylor to sign when he wins.

Comment

Fuck off Taylor.

Comment

Yes, get in! Good riddance, Taylor.

Comment

Not too shabby a performance from a player whose only previous World Championship entry was losing in the qualifiers for the 2016 BDO.

Comment

Are you saying he’s doping?

Comment

Extraordinary stuff from Cross v MVG and Taylor. Obviously he has the game but he showed incredible mental strength to batter his way past MVG then annihilate Taylor despite Taylor's entirely predictable gamesmanship.

It says something for Taylor that the GOAT playing his last ever match, in the final, had at best modest support from a rabid crowd.

Comment

To be honest, I think that was the circumstances of the match more than anything else. If Taylor had been winning then a large chunk of the crowd would have been very vocally with him but those kind of people don’t like to back losers.

Comment

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/darts/46245993 Darts - keeping it classy

Comment

Not a very classy performance from Gerwyn Price in the final, either.

Comment

With a Phil Taylor sized hole in it this year's championship is one to look forward to. Looks genuinely open. Bonkers field, though, there's about 412 players in the draw.

Comment

Looking forward to seeing how Lisa Ashton gets on tonight - she's played in a few of the PDC Challenge Tour events and hasn't really pulled up any trees, but when she's on it she's a match for anyone.

Jan Dekker is a good player, twice BDO World's semi-finalist, so is certainly no mug, but of the players she could have drawn is probably one of the ones she would have been looking at and thinking she can do him over.

As for the tournament as a whole, I really can't call it. You can make good arguments for any of the top 5/6. MVG is obviously the man to beat, but his side of the draw is horrific, and he's due to meet Gary Anderson in the semis. I think they will meet in the semis, and the winner will win the whole thing in my eyes. Easy to forget that Anderson has won two of the three big PDC majors this year - the Matchplay and the UK Open. The Worlds would be a triple crown that not many players have done (I think Phil Taylor may be the only one).

I should confess now by the way that I actually prefer Lakeside and have already booked the second week of January off work in anticipation of watching it on Quest and Eurosport.

Comment

Wouldn't surprise me at all if de Zwaan beats Cross tonight. He's beaten MvG a couple of times this season on the telly and Cross has not exactly been in spellbinding form lately. The expanded draw means that whoever wins doesn't play their next match until Sunday week.

Speaking of the BDO, I see that their softening towards the PDC has led to Wes Newton entering their tournament - he lost his PDC main tour card a couple of years back and has been playing a mix of PDC Challenge Tour and BDO events.

Comment

Wes has been doing the BDO circuit all year, along with Andy Hamilton. It's not so much a softening though, BDO players have been able to play Challenge Tour for a couple of years now without sanction (it used to be a year ban if a player did Q-School). Two years ago that became just players who had played in the BDO Worlds - meaning Jamie Hughes and Darryl Fitton, to name two, who failed to earn a tour card in Q-School last year have been left with only the Challenge tour to play this year. It was announced that from the new season though (beginning of October) there will be no sanctions whatsoever.

What this effectively means is that pretty much any player that has ambition to be a pro player will now go to Q-School. There will be a few BDO lifers who won't (Scott Mitchell, Martin Adams, Wayne Warren) and a few who will feel they aren't ready (Michael Unterbuchner) but the likes of Durrant, McGeeney, possibly Scott Waites, will go and most will probably get a tour card. If not, they're free to play Challenge Tour and the BDO circuit. At some point in the season they will have to make a decision over which Worlds they wish to play in (Top two in the Challenge Tour qualify for the PDC Worlds).

It doesn't effect PDC tour card holders though as the PDC contract states that they are not allowed to play on TV or streams not affiliated to PDC darts. Whilst there isn't a lot of BDO darts on telly (only the World Trophy, World Masters and Lakeside), nearly all the big opens are streamed on Youtube or Winmau TV.

Back to tonight - De Zwaan started like a train and that De Zwaan could well knock Rob Cross out tonight. But in saying that, if there's a tournament that Cross will perform in it's this one.

Comment

Working...
                                      X