No huddle offence

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No huddle offence

I saw this a couple of times on TV ages ago and thought it looked great. However I note here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Kelly

Kelly was perhaps best known for running the Bills' "K-Gun" no-huddle offense, which was a fast-paced offense that denied opposing defenses the opportunity to make timely substitutions. (The NFL later changed the rules in response to this to allow opposing defenses time to change formations under no-huddle situations.)
    Why on earth would you make this change to the rules?

No huddle offence

... to fit in more television commercials?

Comment

No huddle offence

Good question for American Football fans.

Anything that threatens commercial placement must be opposed.

I'm guessing it was also whining by influential opposing teams that they couldn't keep up and perhaps the refs were getting winded keeping up.

Comment

No huddle offence

It also went against the prevailing ethos of gridiron strategy, which is based on pre-Maginot Line military tactics. Improvisation is not to be encouraged, especially if takes away from a highly controlled and programmed (but very short) programmed clash between two squads of steroid-enhanced behemoths.

Comment

No huddle offence

The Exploding Vole wrote:
          Sadly, this is probably the reason, but I wonder what the official rationale was. Is there a place you can look these things up?

Are there similar rules in the college game? Oregon has been employing a very fast no-huddle offense this season, with the coaches holding up coded signs to call plays to the entire team at once, and I wonder if something similar could be done in the NFL.

Comment

No huddle offence

My minimal (or only recent) knowledge on things made me think of this Notre Dame story.

Obviously, no-huddle offence still works very well. The Indianapolis Colts under offensive coordinator Peyton Manning do a pretty solid job of it. Until their whole offensive line gets injured like this year.

Comment

No huddle offence

Because if American Football was played in continuous real time, the players might all start thinking that maybe playing a game where they weren't encouraged to simply charge forward two yards and headbutt each other 120 times over 4 hours might be more fun to play, maybe Rugby, for example?

America would fucking own Rugby Union if they could take even the second-string Seattle Seahawks offensive line and teach them to lineout and scrum capably, and then find a few running backs who they could teach to "lateral pass" to each other. They'd have little problem with the kickers, they've probably got the best in the world. When the All Blacks showed up on tour, America's response to the Haka could be them lining up eating hot dogs and saying "Meh, whatever".

Comment

No huddle offence

.. to fit in more television commercials?

NO. WAY. The Bills would score at will, thus leaving time for even more commericals with even longer breaks after they'd score their 6-10 touchdowns a game.

Any rule change would've been in terms of sportsmanship, because teams literally had no chance against the Bills (until the Super Bowl, of course.)

How the Jints beat the Bills in Super Bowl XXV.... hold the ball for so long with so many 3rd-down-conversion-infused drives that Kelly not get the chance to touch the ball.

Comment

No huddle offence

Oh, come on. That comment is just ignorant and arrogant.

The only way commercials get shown midway through a drive is if a time-out is called, either for tactics or an injury. A team gets a handful of these a match.

Even with an offence going at a perfectly staid, careful pace there is a maximum of 45 seconds between the end of one play and them having to begin the next, or be called for a delay of game penalty. You don't want to risk that, so you snap the ball a bit earlier reducing the gap to ~40 seconds.
                  The clock starts as soon as the previous play is dead, with the commentators still talking about what just happened. ~5 seconds after the end of the play TV will be ready to show a replay, taking further ~15 of those seconds up, maybe longer if it needs a slo-mo or a bit of analysis. You also want at least 10 seconds for the commentators to note how the teams are formed up for the coming play, time which also gives the viewer a few moments to be ready for the action to start (have you ever watch tennis on Eurosport? Ever noticed how disorientating it is for the TV to come straight out of a commercial directly into someone serving? Obviously to be avoided).
                  So you have, ooh, 10 seconds of 'dead' air in which to possibly show an advert, if you are cramming things in. Cut to a commercial in that gap? Do me a favour...

Comment

No huddle offence

jasoñ voorhees wrote:
                    .. to fit in more television commercials?How the Jints beat the Bills in Super Bowl XXV.... hold the ball for so long with so many 3rd-down-conversion-infused drives that Kelly not get the chance to touch the ball.
                    Sounds like what they did with the Patriots in the SB a few years back. Man, that was as thrilling as 'slow', ball-control football can get! Helps that they were shoving it right up the Patriots at the same time, of course. Heh!

Comment

No huddle offence

Janik wrote:
                      He can't help it. He's part of WSC's Anti-American clique...

Comment

No huddle offence

It would take a bit more than learning technical stuff, Rogin. The Seattle Seahawks reserve offensive line don't have to run like rugby players do, so there'd be big conditioning issues. No doubt though America would be extremely good, very quickly. The sport of rugby should court them.

Comment

No huddle offence

Gangster Octopus wrote:
                          Janik wrote:
                          He can't help it. He's part of WSC's Anti-American clique...
                          Well, I'm a pretty big American football fan (and an American) and I always think they're trying to figure out ways to add in more commercials, too. But maybe I'm just conspiracy mongering.

Comment

No huddle offence

A very significant portion of NFL linemen could not play a full 80 minutes of rugby to any standard without suffering heart attacks.

You might be able to do something with a team composed of very mobile linebackers up front and DeSean Jackson style wingers, but I think you would really struggle to find decent scrum halves and fly halves (quarterbacks are used to handling the ball, but not to being hit repeatedly, or running in the open field) and that kicking would be much more of a challenge than Rogin thinks (the majority of the angles would be completely new to a gridiron kicker, and the ball flies in a materially different way).

Comment

No huddle offence

Cue Chris Rock's line about LeBron and ice-skates.

I remember when Lands End (the clothing company) attempted to single-handily start the US rugby team, of which, was a direct commercial attempt to sell the shirt in the late 80s. Everyone marvelled at the American's tackling, and their...tackling. (Put it this way, I remember seeing the Irish National Team coming to Randall's Island in NYC. All I remember was an Irish guy screaming "Beuuuuuuuutifo Reeeeeuuuuugby" for each try the Irish would score as they won by 60 or 70.)

Comment

No huddle offence

A very significant portion of NFL linemen could not play a full 80 minutes of rugby to any standard without suffering heart attacks.
                                I'd say it's more likely that they'd either suffer heat stroke or perhaps hypoventilation. A heart attack is a myocardial infarction caused by obstruction in a coronary artery. That would seem unlikely in young men who, although technically obese, are by no means sedentary.
                                I'm not sure of the research on this.

It's certainly not uncommon to see some teams that are big and dominant on the lines early on get worn down by the smaller fitter opponent. But in those cases the guys are just wearing out gradually. Nothing especially traumatic happens, except that they lose.

Comment

No huddle offence

If you had Matt Dodge in the team, he'd never find touch

Comment

No huddle offence

Well, if you're going to be anatomically correct about, it's actually most likely that their knees and/or ankles would go first given that they haven't run in anything approaching 360 degrees of motion since they were age 6.

Comment

No huddle offence

Being anatomically correct about cardiac problems is all I do.

Comment

No huddle offence

ursus arctos wrote:
                                        It also went against the prevailing ethos of gridiron strategy, which is based on pre-Maginot Line military tactics. Improvisation is not to be encouraged, especially if takes away from a highly controlled and programmed (but very short) programmed clash between two squads of steroid-enhanced behemoths.
                                        Brilliant. Also true.

Comment

No huddle offence

Ha, the Maginot Line comment makes me realize that I often forget the origin of the term "blitz," since it's used so often.

Comment

No huddle offence

Ursus, with those big fast guys up front, I think they'd win a lot of games if me and you were playing half-back.

Comment

No huddle offence

Re: Maginot Line, blitz, and other military metaphors for football...

Most of us know this one by George Carlin, but just in case...

4:00 in...but the rest is also superb

Comment

Working...
                                              X