Like a Bolt from the blue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Usain Bolt ran 100m last night in an astounding 9.72 seconds. And by all accounts he wasn't even planning to run the 100m in Beijing, as he sees the 200m as his favourite event!

I remember when Ben Johnson got busted in Seoul, having run 9.79, a lot of commentators said no-one could ever run those sorts of times clean. And, for a decade or so, no-one did, until Maurice Greene. Now we've got Bolt, Asafa Powell and Tyson Gay all running that fast with the right tailwind. The 100m at Beijing could well be the highlight of the games, if one of them can go through the 9.70 barrier.

Also notable that the Icahn Stadium on Randall's Island (where he set the record) is not known as a particularly fast track and that his race had been delayed by almost two hours due to rain and a threat of lightning.

Comment

Maybe it was the lightning that was spurring him on...

Comment

It's only the fifth time he has run the 100m competitively.

The fastest clean runner* at the Seoul Olympics, still ran just under ten seconds - 9.99 to be precise.

*Carl Lewis tested positive at the 1988 Olympic trials for pseudoephedrine, ephedrine, and phenylpropanolamine - Lewis claimed they were in an over the counter cold remedy and the US Olympic Committee accepted his claim. Linford Christie tested positive for pseudoephedrine after the final, and claimed it was from ginseng (an allowed substance) - IOC officials narrowly accepted his claim, voting 11 to 10 (with two asleep!) that he should keep his silver medal. Third place Calvin Smith was one of only two competitors in that race who never failed a drug test nor was ever implicated - the other was Brazilian Robson Da Silva. Ray Stewart also avoided accusations during his career, but was implicated in the Trevor Graham court case.

Comment

It's looking very unlikely that Greene was clean.

Comment

I'm probably jinxing this, but he looks like a right 'un to me. I think he might be the real deal, though obviously many are skeptical. Very tall, and comparatively slender for a sprinter, it's not a conventional juicer's physique.

Comment

The other links on youtube from that link suggest he even eased up towards the line to some extent in that race. A 100m run in under 9.7 seconds in a proper competitive situation definitely looks imminent, if not from him then from Powell or Gay.

Comment

On the subject of sprinters, why can't more of them be like Michael Johnson?

Comment

Working...
                X