The most pointless Cup in sport Cup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Almost everyone derides the Carling Cup in football as being a competition used by the big clubs to field their reserves and youth team players, but they don't deliberately play Carling Cup ties at the same time as a round of international matches, do they?

Not so with Rugby's Anglo-Welsh Cup. Already saddled with a silly (and etymologically wrong) name, the authorities have deliberately scheduled the group matches (this week and next) opposite the autumn internationals, so virtually every player that anyone might have wanted to turn up at a provincial club ground to watch will instead be at Twickenham, or the Millennium Stadium. As will, in spirit if not in body, just about every Rugby fan, too.

It's very hard to think of a more pointless trophy to play for in any sport anywhere, except maybe that Channel Island where they only have 2 teams who play each other 24 times a year in the league and then have a League Cup as well.

The World Club Championship.
    The Ryder Cup.
    The Americas Cup.
    That International Tennis Cup.
    The World Matchplay Championship Cup.
    The Charity Shield. Isn't even a cup.

Comment

dglhand of god wrote:
      That International Tennis Cup.
      Davis Cup.

And yes, unless you are naturally a doubles tennis player, you dont give a fuck about which country you play for, UNTIL YOU GET PICKED, which is pretty much the same for any team tournament, with an individual pursuant (sic).

I would drop my left bollock to get picked again for my country (and we are due a war, so I probably should shut up)

Comment

Although, if you meant the Hopman Cup, then I retract everything I just said (about the tennis thing).

Comment

dglh is just harshing on golf, which is unfortunate for someone who has "linke" in his name.

The Ryder Cup is fine, its the President's Cup and the Handa Cup that deserve the brickbats.

Comment

or, if you really want to push this: The World Series. (You just know that there are club teams around the world, who would give the Giants a kicking... and yes, it would be close, but it would make the A.M.ericans, sit up and go 'fucking hell, this is not what we meant!')

Comment

Erm, no.

At least not since the defections started from Cuba.

Comment

I was expecting Rogin to be over here quicker than Elin Nordegren with a Sand Wedge.

Comment

Back when cricket was on virtually every day of the summer, there used to come one day where about all going on was something called the Tilcon Trophy.

I never got the hang of who contested it (only 4 teams, I think) nor who Tilcon were.

Comment

Bizarrely, the 4 teams in 1991 included Durham, who weren't yet first class:

http://cricketarchive.com/Archive/Scorecards/54/54419.html

Lucky Geoff Cook got a hundred really, seeing the rest of the batting would have struggled against my school. Indeed one of them, MP Briers, was soon coaching my school.

Shame Sylvester Clarke had left Surrey. He might have enjoyed bowling in this.

Alec Stewart was out for a duck. Proving we hadn't got the hang of resting good players for meaniningless games yet.

Comment

Working...
                    X