Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The 150th Melbourne Cup

It’s all about So You Think.

When it won a second consecutive Cox Plate (arguably the most prestigious race in Australia) just over a week ago, the hype surrounding this horse became extraordinary. It was immediately installed as Melbourne Cup favourite despite not even being a confirmed starter and was being hailed as potentially the best racehorse in the world and maybe the greatest Australian horse since the legendary Phar Lap (although, strictly speaking, So You Think is a Kiwi).

Although So You Think is a clear favourite tomorrow, there is one nagging doubt – the Cox Plate is run over 2040m and is the longest distance So You Think has run. The Melbourne Cup is 3200m. No horse has ever won the Melbourne Cup having never previously run more than 2040m but then no horse has ever won 2 Cox Plates in its first 10 starts.

One of the real features of this year’s spring carnival has been the weather which has followed a remarkable pattern. Lovely warm days at the end of the week and then, When Saturday Comes, it pisses down. It was bad enough at the Caulfield Cup and the Cox Plate but, for Saturday’s Victoria Derby, we had a month of rain in one day which kept the crowd down to just over 90,000. The weather should be better tomorrow but conditions will remain heavy – So You Think has performed well in the wet.

Who else might win?

Shocking – 2009 winner who finished very strongly in the 2400m Caulfield Cup 2 weeks ago proving again that long races suit.

Zipping – a proven stayer with two 4th place finishes in the Melbourne Cup.

Americain – would be the first French winner. Has won over 3000m and won this year’s Geelong Cup.

Descerado – this year’s Caulfield Cup winner.

Harris Tweed – 5th last year and nearly won me a tidy sum in the Caulfield Cup – it finished 2nd but looked it would win if the race had been slightly longer. Unlikely to win but I feel compelled to back it just in case.

Monaco Consul – ran well in the Caulfield Cup and finished strongly suggesting that the extra distance might not be an issue.

Bauer – runner up last year but recent form poor.

Holberg – Frankie Dettori’s ride and one of the best of the internationals.

Linton – a real chance with a good record in long races.

Maluckyday – another one with a good track record over long distances.

The 150th Melbourne Cup

So You Think hit the front in the final straight but finished 3rd with Americain winning.

The Arab household backed the horses that finished 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th!

Comment

The 150th Melbourne Cup

I pinged the trifecta. Oh happy day.

Comment

The 150th Melbourne Cup

I got shafted. 2 horses in the class sweepstakes, both of which were quite fancied. Bugger all. Still, since I was the teacher, I guess it's better that way.

Comment

Working...
        X