International Rules 2010

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

International Rules 2010

The Australian team for this 2 test series in Limerick and Dublin looks like it could be the weakest ever – just 4 players from the 2010 All Australian side and only 6 who have played International Rules before. Of course, the All Australian team isn’t necessarily going to be ideal for playing a game that isn’t Aussie Rules but this is hardly the cream of the AFL. Gary Ablett, rated by many as the best player in the AFL, decided not to travel because he wanted to house hunt on the Gold Coast after his move from Geelong.

The Irish side has 5 players who have AFL experience:

Tadhg Kennelly (Sydney)
    Tommy Walsh (St Kilda)
    Brendan Murphy (ex Sydney)
    Colm Begley (ex Brisbane and St Kilda)
    Martin Clarke (ex Collingwood)

It’ll be interesting to see how Ireland use Walsh. He came to Australia as a forward but has been converted to a defender by St Kilda where he had an impressive 2010 in the reserves and has been promoted to the senior list for 2011. Collingwood are reportedly hoping that Clarke will do a Kennelly and return to Australia but Down’s All Ireland loss probably means that won’t happen.

Australia won a warm up in Cork 105-12 and, from reports, utilised the zoning/forward press gameplan pioneered by St Kilda in 2009 and perfected by Collingwood in 2010. Collingwood’s Mick Malthouse is coaching the team. The Cork team was pinned back in defence and couldn’t break through the pushed forward zone or cope with the Australian tackling pressure.

Australian squad:

Adam Goodes, captain (Sydney Swans), Todd Banfield (Brisbane), Eddie Betts (Carlton), Matthew Boyd (Western Bulldogs), Daniel Cross (Western Bulldogs), Patrick Dangerfield (Adelaide), Paul Duffield (Fremantle), Dustin Fletcher (Essendon), James Frawley (Melbourne), Bryce Gibbs (Carlton), Sam Gilbert (St Kilda), Tyson Goldsack (Collingwood), Brad Green (Melbourne), Garrick Ibboston (Fremantle), Kieran Jack (Sydney Swans), Jarrad McVeigh (Sydney Swans), Leigh Montagna (St Kilda), Jack Riewoldt (Richmond), Kade Simpson (Carlton), Dane Swan (Collingwood), Travis Varcoe (Geelong), David Wojcinski (Geelong)

Irish squad:

Steven McDonnell, captain (Armagh), Finian Hanley, vice-captain (Galway), Colm Begley (Laois), Bernard Brogan (Dublin), Graham Canty (Cork), Sean Cavanagh (Tyrone), Martin Clarke (Down), Stephen Cluxton (Dublin), Brendan Donaghy (Armagh), Leighton Glynn (Wicklow), Daniel Goulding (Cork), James Kavanagh (Kildare), Paddy Keenan (Louth), Tadhg Kennelly (Kerry), Sean McDermott (Roscommon), Ciaran McKeever (Armagh), Kevin McKernan (Down), Brendan Murphy (Carlow), Michael Murphy (Donegal), Kevin Reilly (Meath), Michale Shields (Cork), Tommy Walsh (Kerry)

International Rules 2010

I could be very cynical and say that these "international rules" games between Australia and Ireland are pretty farcical, and are only arranged so that the AFL can give itself the illusion that they are involved with international football (or perhaps so that they can get a look at any Irish talent that could be lured to Melbourne...)

The greater skill of the Irish is usually nullified by the stronger physical presence of the Australians, and the games have often ended in unpleasantness.

I reckon the series would be more interesting if Australia sent a team of semi-professional Aussie Rules players who have also had some soccer playing experience... the sight of AFL players attempting to soccer the ball when it is on the ground is usually embarassing...

Comment

International Rules 2010

trimster wrote:
      I could be very cynical and say that these "international rules" games between Australia and Ireland are pretty farcical, and are only arranged so that the AFL can give itself the illusion that they are involved with international football
      And yet, funnily enough, these games consistently attract bigger crowds than the Socceroos.

I reckon the series would be more interesting if Australia sent a team of semi-professional Aussie Rules players who have also had some soccer playing experience... the sight of AFL players attempting to soccer the ball when it is on the ground is usually embarassing...
      There are dozens of AFL players with a soccer background and several in the squad in Ireland. Brad Green was offered a contract with Walsall after training with Manchester United; Leigh Montagna, Eddie Betts and Adam Goodes were talented junior soccer players; and Jack Riewoldt was rated one of the best young soccer players in Tasmania before the success of his cousin Nick in the AFL convinced him to give up the round ball game.

Comment

International Rules 2010

Hope you are right about this year's team having some "soccer skills", MA...

I've never seen much evidence of it in previous years!

As for its popularity here, are you talking about actual attendances, or TV viewing? Have they ever had an 80k crowd at the MCG for international rules? I know they have had good crowds at Subiaco a couple of times. I think last time they played in Adelaide, they had 30k at AAMI Stadium.

Comment

International Rules 2010

Throw-in at 7 p.m. Irish time tonight, so about 5 a.m. in Melbourne. Do the Australian public take these matches seriously - here, we've never been sure what attitude to take, getting gung-ho when we win a test, and moaning about the physicality if we're after getting a drubbing. Personally, I've always thought the rules were overly-based on Gaelic, but perhaps that's the only way our guys could be remotely competitive against pros.

Comment

International Rules 2010

You can very proud of the Aussies tonight, full-time score was 47-40 to Australia, but that was extremely flattering to Ireland, we trailed by 20 points well into the 4th quarter, and only a late score flurry made the final gap respectable. Three Kerry players - Donaghy, Cooper and Galvin were controversially omitted, but the Aussies had by far the more clinical kicking and ball-handling, with Goods man of the match.

Comment

International Rules 2010

The second lowest winning score in the history of the series with Australia kicking with surprising accuracy.

Goodes was excellent - 6'4", fast, strong and highly skilled - he's a remarkable athlete. Montagna and Betts, two others with a soccer background, played well. For the Irish, I was impressed with Colm Begley (1 game for St Kilda in 2009) and Tommy Walsh was ok.

Comment

International Rules 2010

I've just watched some of this on TV... and the Australians' ball handling is so good they don't really need soccer skills!

The ball rarely seems to be loose on the ground...and when it was the Irish "soccer skills" didn't really give them a greater advantage. On one occaision an Irish player nutmegged an Australian, soccer style, but the Aussie simpply turned around and picked the ball up before the Irishman could reach it!

The all around skills of the Aussies seem better than I remember them from previous years, and it looked like they were barely putting a foot wrong. Have the rules changed slightly?

Comment

International Rules 2010

Ireland needed an 8 point win in the second test to win the series which didn't look likely at half time with Australia 11 points ahead. However, Ireland took control in the second half and, in a dominant final quarter, were 4 points ahead with 6 minutes to go, Australia not having scored even a point.

Australia recovered, though, to win by 3 and 10 on aggregate in front of nearly 62,000 in Dublin.

Collingwood's Dane Swan won the Jim Stynes medal as best Australian of the series while Colm Begley was adjudged best Irish player.

Comment

International Rules 2010

Australia just scraped home in the last match- in which Ireland used "soccer skills" to kick a major goal, something Australia failed to do in both matches.

However, they didn't need soccer skills- they were just that much better at getting the ball and belting it high and over, and their overall teamwork was slightly better than the Irish.

I enjoyed this series more than in previous years- Australia under Mick Malthouse seemed more disciplined and organised than in the past, and I didn't see too many unpleasant fights or flareups.

Comment

Working...
                    X