The biggest one day sporting event in the world

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Apparently, ladies and gentlemen, this is the Indianapolis 500. Over 500,000 people make their way to the brickyard or speedway (depending on your choice of name for it) for the greatest open wheeled sporting event in the world.

Four bends. All left. No run off. A guy called Andretti in a racing outfit made to make him look like Indiana Jones, for the movie is sponsoring his car. One random British guy and his first really big encounter with some proper, raw US sporting culture.

It was a day of discovery. Tail gating is a lot of fun. Taking a case of beer into a sporting event is risky in ninety degree heat. Having friends drive a few kegs into the infield at 6am and start drinking is even more so.

My girlfriend's brother and I had some lengthy discussions about his love of F1 and want for the race to come back to Indy (current theory - Bernie is throwing a huff and the Canadian GP is financially unsustainable without a second race in North America, but the Indy people have some work to do in making it better promoted.) Indy cars are great workhorses - the size of the field and the spread of the cars results in a near continuous onslaught of noise - you can actually hear that certain cars are underpowered.

We were on turn two, with great views that meant we could see pretty much everything bar the start finish straight behind gasoline alley. My strangest discovery was one of US film. You know when they have those big events in old movies, and the sound of the song is all treble, a little mid, no bass? That is realistic. That was the sound we got for all the pre-race songs. I was slightly knocked back that what I thought was an effort to make something sound a bit vintage was actually true.

The facility they have there is pretty extraordinary, and the number of people turning up to the race mind-blowing. It was a little bit sad for me that the lead didn't change about much, as the Target guys cars were clearly dominant in set-up. A few wall bashes here and there, someone stalling, crashing on the pace car, recovering and then crashing again led to a relative bonhomie of misogynistic driving jokes (it was a woman, and three times in one race is pretty bad). Danica's charge down the pitlane to try and beat seven shades out of the guy that took her out of the race was brilliant - especially as the commentators initially claimed it was her fault.

On TV I can understand it may be a little frustrating, but when there the speed they take those turns, their proximity to the wall and the way they catapult by is incredible. You can really track where moves are about to come from with a reasonable view, and then see the tyre-track line develop. One small error and the pace car is out (some dude in a Chrysler convertible, who proves how damn fast the cars normally go as he nails it at half their normal speed).

I am now a race junkie. Bring on the 500 next year. Bring on someone offering to take me to an F1 race. I didn't believe live racing would be so fun, crazy and exciting. Though I may not be a buyer on the bulldozer racing event that is Nascar.

And that doesn't even mention the madness of the infield when we went to explore. You cannot see a thing from in there unless you head to the mounds (which are plentiful), but the party is crazy. My current status is strong at flip-cup, rapidly improving at Corn-Hole (Baggo).

I wonder if this beauty will work?

Comment

I should add that there was a real sense of optimism at the Indy 500 this year. Following the merger of the two open wheeled codes, they are becoming excited that the race series may begin to pull in more major drivers over the next few years, stronger sponsorship and an even more competitive race. Here's hoping.

Comment

dglh, I've said this to you before, but if you are in Europe in September, you really should come to Monza with us.

Comment

Open-wheel racing is looking viable for the first time in a long time with both the re-uniting of IRL and CART and the emergence of Danica Patrick, the first (only, perhaps) marketable driver in memory.

But it has a long way to go to catch NASCAR. In fact there's a lot of talk that sooner or later somebody in NASCAR will come up with enough money to lure Danica Patrick.

I don't really get into either, but I think I prefer NASCAR. The cars aren't so "fragile" that a fuck-up on pit road knocks somebody out of the race.

Comment

Ursus - you have me thinking more along the lines of "how can I be in Europe in September?" I have really caught the buzz.

Reed - I think the unification is a big thing for them. It would be sad, wrong and bad if NASCAR were to steal away the better drivers from Indy. They are such different racing codes - Indy is more akin to formula 1, where it is all about driving care and skill and highly refined racing machines. The nearest comparable I can find for NASCAR was touring cars. Sure they have durability, but they aren't going at 230mph. The difference, sadly, is probably only truly felt at the track itself. On TV, NASCAR is always going to be a better spectacle because contact is actually a tactic.

I can only imagine what F1 cars are like going by after this. TV viewing is really restricted on the sport - I can almost understand why Murray Walker sounds so hyped up commentating.

Comment

Lots of drivers have shifted from open wheel to NASCAR including Jeff Gordon. Tony Stewart has run the Coca-Cola 600 and Indy 500 on the same day, as I recall. Robbie Gordon did that too, I think. Of course, JP Montoya is now in NASCAR.

The reunification of open-wheel may balance out the earning potential a bit more such that drivers who feel their more suited to open-wheel will stay there instead of going for more money in NASCAR.

NASCAR is the most popular in the US because it is the most competitive and does everything it can to minimize differences in the cars. Some people don't like that. I think that's better. I'd rather see the race decided by which drivers and their crew made the right decisions on the day rather than who had the best gear because their team has more money.

I think I'd like to go to an F1 race, but overall its not a very fan-friendly sport. I'm told that, for example, fans can't listen to the drivers' radios at an F1 race whereas lots of people do that at NASCAR races. I don't know if you can do that at an IRL/CART race.

More importantly, there's very little overtaking in F1 and if there's any overtaking at all, it's still usually very predictable. Only a few cars really have a chance to win. It's all very high tech and secretive. There aren't many secrets in NASCAR and those that are don't stay that way for very long.

The tracks are more interesting in F1, but as a result, it's harder - perhaps impossible - for the spectator to see the whole track. That's the value of an oval track.

At Charlotte, the only one I've been to, the top speed is about 160 mph for the race and 190 for qualifying. It's very loud.

Comment

I've been to the Long Beach Grand Prix and you could hear the cars racing in practices from my high school--is that IRL? I remember Paul Tracy seemingly winning every year. The Grand Prix used to be a really big deal in Long Beach, but now I think it's seen as an annoyance more than anything else.

Comment

That was probably CART. IRL split of from CART about 12 years ago. CART had the better drivers, but IRL had the Indy 500. Over time, IRL started to pick up in popularity, so CART tried to distinguish itself by focusing on the street courses. IRL and CART have now re-merged.

Comment

I thought this thread was going to be about the nutters chasing cheese down a hill. Certainly more intertesting than oval track racing. Yawn.

Comment

Working...
                    X