X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Odd sporting injuries

An old topic due a revival, I thought.

These are largely copied & pasted from elsewhere:

Glenn Healy (ice hockey, goalie) needed 40 stitches to close up his hand after he cut it while changing the bag on a vintage set of bagpipes.

Adam Eaton, (baseball, pitcher) was trying to remove that annoying security tape on a DVD with a paring knife and wound up stabbing himself in the stomach.

Glenallen Hill (baseball, outfielder) an arachnophobic, he had a nightmare about spiders while sleeping on the couch. In his attempt to get away from the "big bad spider", he crash-landed onto a glass table, leaving his body littered with shards of glass.

Marty Cordova (baseball, fielder) couldn't play because he fell asleep in a tanning bed and burned his face too badly.

Tom Glavine (baseball, pitcher) suffered from food poisoning during the 1992 season; his symptoms were so bad that he broke a rib while vomiting.

Ramalho (football, striker) once missed three days of action because he was bedridden after taking a suppository orally.

Greg A. Harris (baseball, reliever) once missed two starts for the Texas Rangers after he inflamed his elbow by spending an entire game flicking sunflower seeds at a friend who was sitting nearby.

Lionel Simmons (basketball, small forward) missed two games in his rookie season because he had tendinitis in his right wrist and forearm from playing too much GameBoy.

Wade Boggs (baseball, third baseman) once missed seven games after straining his back while trying to pull on his trademark cowboy boots.

Joel Zumaya (Baseball, pitcher) strained his arm playing “Guitar Hero” on the PS2 and had to sit out three games.

Santiago Canizares (football, goalkeeper) sat out the World Cup in Korea and Japan after dropping a bottle of cologne on his foot, severing a tendon.

John Smoltz (baseball, pitcher) reportedly scalded himself while ironing a shirt he was wearing(???).

There seem to be a disproportionate amount of such injuries to baseball players. Why is this? Also, who was that American Football player (a defensive lineman, I think) who got hit in the eye by a flag thrown by a field judge? I seem to remember he had trouble with his eye for months, if not years.

Any others that are particular favourites?

Odd sporting injuries

Mart Poom leaps to mind. He injured his penis, as I recall.

Comment

Odd sporting injuries

From this season, Chris Coghlan of the Marlins tore the meniscus in his knee while hitting a teammate in the face with a shaving cream pie.

Padres pitcher Mat Latos went on the 15-day DL with a strained side after holding in a sneeze.

Comment

Odd sporting injuries

Here's a full page of them, with thanks to goalkeepersaredifferent.com

Mark Statham is my particular favourite.

Comment

Odd sporting injuries

How do you get your head trapped in a car door? And was it trapped while the match was taking place?

Comment

Odd sporting injuries

I have no idea, but I bet it's hilarious to watch.

Comment

https://twitter.com/cricketworldcup/status/1222403505014611968?s=19

Comment

Mind you, nature reserves in South Africa can be hazardous to your visiting sports players, as Scott Baldwin found out a few years ago.
                https://twitter.com/CindyPoluta/status/914008987670122497?s=19

Comment

Why does he need to go home? Don;t they have doctors and stuff in South Africa?

Comment

Domestic animals aren't to be trusted, either. Darren Barnard of Barnsley had a forgettable 1999: not only was his the last-ever penalty miss at the old Wembley stadium, but a couple of months later he slipped in a pool of his new puppy's wee, tearing a ligament that put him out of action for almost six months.

Comment

Not sporting, but I got bitten by a rabbit once at a children’s petting zoo.

Comment

I had to have four stitches in my head when I cut it open on a 'mind your head' sign when retrieving a cricket ball off the canal towpath, while playing for Chester BHCC.

Comment

Derek Pringle was reputedly injured while writing a letter but the truth is a little different:

https://www.cricketcountry.com/artic...e-giant-508423

Pringle was assigned the task of sorting out the complimentary passes for the England vs Pakistan Test of 1982 (a famous duel between Botham and Imran Khan where England won by 3 wickets).

In the process he leaned on the backrest of the chair (something I — shudder, shudder — do quite often); the chair collapsed, and Pringle picked up a shoulder injury. Unfortunately for him, Bernard Thomas spread news that Pringle had injured himself while writing letters…
                          Other cricket ones:

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/22508870/

Comment

The Boston Celtics have a cult player in Tacko Fall. They drafted him this year but before he played he went into the concussion protocol for accidentally hitting his head on a low ceiling. He admitted this wasn't the first time and he had been got by a door frame in the past.

He got a standing ovation when he first got subbed in, mostly because the whole crowd had been yelling at their coach Brad Stevens to bring him into the game and he joined in, playing the crowd.

Comment

Originally posted by Sits View Post
                              Not sporting, but I got bitten by a rabbit once at a children’s petting zoo.
                              A Goose bit me in Dublin zoo, bastard.

Comment

Originally posted by elguapo4 View Post

A Goose bit me in Dublin zoo, bastard.
                                I was once bitten on the inner thigh by a cat that belonged to the late German jazz singer Roger Cicero.

Comment

My youngest daughter (then 3) was scarred on the cheek by a peacock. Wasn’t funny at the time, clearly.

Comment

Originally posted by treibeis View Post
                                    I was once bitten on the inner thigh by a cat that belonged to the late German jazz singer Roger Cicero.
                                    The only thing that would beat that would be if he commanded the cat to do it.

Comment

Working...
                                    X