RL Super League Grand Final

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'll be at Old Trafford tomorrow night (I've not missed a GF for ten years) and I'm anticipating a hell of a game.

Young guns Wigan desperate to win their first trophy since 1998 and new coach McGuire has really put them back in the frame. The Tomkins brothers are both in red hot form and the wet conditions will suit the kicking game of old head scrum half Paul Deacon. Their pack have fronted up well all season, too, and they're a pretty formidable unit.

However they are Wigan, a club as mired in gracelessness as Manchester United, and most decent free-thinkers will be hoping that a few of the Saints' old sweats can roll back the years for one last hurrah. With form half-backs Eastmond and Pryce both missing their creative hub is severely compromised but they have not lost the knack of hanging in and pinching tight games and hopefully they've got one more in them. I'd like to see Kieran Cunningham go out on a high.

I would certainly recommend anyone with a sporting bone in their body to get near Sky Sports at 6.00pm tomorrow. These Grand Finals rarely bomb and have generally been my favourite sporting occasions of the year.

Enjoy.

I really should get my act together and get to a GF at some point soon.

Alas I won't be around for the game, but will be taping it and then desperately avoiding a TV/newspaper for a day or so til I get to watch it Sunday night.

Will be interesting to watch on the basis that I don't particularly like either side.

Comment

Danger Mouse wrote:
      Will be interesting to watch on the basis that I don't particularly like either side.
      Whereas that's why I'll find it uninteresting...

Comment

In the end, tedious wasn't it. Yet again.

Rugby League is crap, really when it's this one-sided.

Comment

Well, Wigan won that essentially in that stunning first half hour. Saints competed manfully after that but had very little spark from half back. As I thought the absence of the Eastmond/Pryce creative axis was crucial - Saints second string halves made little impact here leaving Leulai and Deacon with a relatively easy ride.

When Saints managed to get up a head of steam silly handling errors put them back and some pivotal penalties conceded did them no favours. Wigan kept their composure and shape under pressure and certainly edged it.

I didn't hang around for the presentations.

Comment

I never got the chance to see it, 'cos they had the Ryder Cup on in the pub.

Comment

Other way round in my pub. But then we are only ten miles or so from Wigan, and the place was chock full of people with no necks in red-and-white shirts.

Comment

Working...
              X