Kick and Clap is back!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kick and Clap is back!

Hooray, the rugby season in England starts! I shall now impart my wisdom, prejudice and ignorance to you all:-

Bath Rugby

Suddenly looking pretty strong again. Naughty South African troublemaker Luke Watson is club captain but the big signing is Lewis Moody, who will add his brand of 100 mph indifference to his own safety play. Sam Vesty is a good backup for both Butch James and Olly Barkley, without them last season they were poor, struggling to score tries. A dark horse for the title.

Exeter Chiefs

For the drop, I fear. They haven't got any players of note in their squad and their coaching staff doesn't have the steel than Neil Back brought to Leeds last season. I suspect they'll pull off a few shocks (they were the only team to beat Quins in ND1 a few years back when we trampled everyone else into the dirt) but it won't be enough. Fans are also disgruntled at massive Season Ticket price hikes.

Gloucester Rugby

Another season standing still. They've named celebrity drunk driver and backs move killer Mike Tindall as captain but he'll either be injured or fouling up England all season, the fans are excited about his replacement, Trinder. Redpath has yet to prove himself as a coach and they haven't really signed anyone to stir the Shed's blood.

Harlequins

With Bloodgate firmly behind us, a new coach, new captain (Chris Robshaw) and some of the fat trimmed, we're still looking underpowered in the tight five (last year's standout baby eating lock, James Percival, blew out his ACL in the meaningless final match of the season). If our backs get the ball we can run rings around anyone, but we'll probably lack the steel to mount any real challenge in the League. We may win the Anglo-Welsh or Amlin, though, we usually win a minor cup once every four years and we're due again.

Leeds Carnegie

Some wise buys, such as Steve Banjo Thompson, have added to the collection of hardnuts and workhorses that Neil Back has moulded very much in his image. They'll finish lower table but they'll be happy to do so. They'll probably unearth some more gems of young players who will jump ship (probably to Leicester) as usual. As long as Fourie stays out of the England team I'll be happy too.

Leicester Tigers

You have to hand it to them, if you don't they come and take it away from you. Current champions and rightly favourites to win, nothing seems to phase them. Entire backline fucked and joke journeyman at 10? Scrape wins by a single kick until they're fit. Lose your talismanic flanker to a deadly rival? Here comes the next one off the production line. One can only hope they don't win, it's getting dull. Also, I would like to see Quins beat them for the first time in the League since rugby went professional.

London Irish

Interesting times. Big Bob Casey has been dumped as captain and it seems that he's being edged out. Likely to do what they always do - start in a blaze and then fade away come the business end of the season. Another Armitage brother has appeared and they'll always put on a good show, but they'll be midtable fodder. As long as my uncle doesn't get quite so drunk the next time they play us at The Stoop, that will be nice.

London Wasps

The media spotlight has moved off them now that Danny Cipriani has moved to Melbourne (or football if you read some rumours). They have a very "meh" feel about them this season, they have lost some key players, their squad isn't getting any younger and they look rather stale. No doubt they'll throw all this in my face as usual as they wait until the last minute before powering up the table but the fact that their only fly half cover appears to be England's inside centre will worry their fans.

Newcastle Falcons

The loss of Carl Hayman to Toulon will mean they are in real trouble. I suspect the only reason they'll stay up is because Exeter are even worse. It's hard to see what Newcastle offer at times, they struggle to get crowds, they can't keep hold of their players and they aren't that exciting to watch. Pretty much everything will hinge on the 9-10 axis of Micky Young and Jimmy Gopperth staying fit and in form as they're the two genuine high class acts they have.

Northampton Saints

Will the Saints finally convert their cup successes of the past into a League win? Their locks are now shorn of two really good players in Kruger and Lobbe, back to Safferland and retired respectively, but their pack can go toe to toe with the best. They've got some sparkling talent out wide but they really need to know what to do at half back - Dickson is good but inconsistent and if you could meld Myler's kicking ability and nerve to Geraghty's passing and running you'd have a world beating fly half. I reckon they might spring a not unexpected surprise, as it were.

Sale Sharks

God, where to start? Sheridan's back (good) but Charlie Hodgson's injured (terrible). They've made 20 year old beanpole James Gaskell club captain (think Peter Crouch's slightly shorter brother and you're there) and new head coach Mike Brewer is trying to get rid of the wastrels that have arsed about the place for several years. But you get the feeling they aren't sure what their overall best team or gameplan is.

Saracens

Ugh. Loathesome coach, loads of imports, a godawful "club song", saddled with playing at Vicarage Road, a stadium in dire need of kncoking down and starting again and a rather nasty taste in the mouth. Sarries used to be entertaining if harmless and produced some very fine players. Now they seem to have become the embodiment of a rugby club trying to do a Manchester City. They played some great rugby at the end of the season, but it took a player's revolt to force Dr Venter to stop his horrendous tactics. They'll go well and if Alex Goode fulfills his promise I might revise my opinions.

Winners I'm going for Northampton

HEC Saints, Leicester, Bath, Glaws, Sarries and LI

Anglo-Welsh Quins, why not?

Relegated Exeter

Kick and Clap is back!

I presume that was an away kit you were wearing yesterday, Eggchaser?

It's appearance was the second big shock of the ITV highlights programme after realising Bob Symonds was not only alive but still has a commentating gig.

With the relative absence of televised football this weekend , I did enjoy the chance to keep an eye on the Northampton v Leicester game today as well as yesterday's stunning Tri-Nations game. Managed to miss all the Magners unfortunately so will have to hunt down Scrum V online.

Comment

Kick and Clap is back!

Looks like the two Italian teams should be very competitive in the Celtic League - Aironi were level at half-time in Thomond, before Munster eventually pulled clear, while Treviso had agood win over Llanelli. An excellent weekend for the Irish provinces, maybe Connacht can finally move up the table this year.

Comment

Kick and Clap is back!

Did I miss a thread about the women's world cup thingy? Much of it looked like good, flowing rugby.

Comment

Kick and Clap is back!

Twenty years ago my college had a decent team, but the sport doesn't seem to have kicked on, like cricket has.

Comment

Kick and Clap is back!

Harry Truscott wrote:
            I presume that was an away kit you were wearing yesterday, Eggchaser?

It's appearance was the second big shock of the ITV highlights programme after realising Bob Symonds was not only alive but still has a commentating gig.

With the relative absence of televised football this weekend , I did enjoy the chance to keep an eye on the Northampton v Leicester game today as well as yesterday's stunning Tri-Nations game. Managed to miss all the Magners unfortunately so will have to hunt down Scrum V online.
            Sadly yes. It makes me want to vomit in terror.

That Aus vs SA 3N match was just unbelievable. The look of relief on Lynagh's face and the look of sheer disappointment of Delport's in the studio afterwards told it all, I think. P Divvy to lose his job, especially after his Beex Roux comments.

Some other great results this weekend - we all had a good laugh at Glaws. Apparently Mike Tindall was fucking shit and then got injured, which will not stop him being England's first choice at 13, I suspect.

The women's rugby has been great but no way were England going to beat the New Zealanders, we sprung a surprise on them earlier this year but once there wasn't a monsoon coming down and they had some videos of Maggie Alphonsi we were always on a hiding to nothing.

Comment

Kick and Clap is back!

Richard Littlejohn:

The brilliant comedian Peter Kay built his career on a gag about the incongruity of garlic bread.
              Garlic? Bread?
              Watching the Jonah Lomu lookalikes taking part in the women's rugby over the weekend gave me the same feeling.
              Women's? Rugby?
              Giving this more time than it's worth, he reckons the women looked like rugby players but shouldn't be playing rugby.

Comment

Kick and Clap is back!

Proud Welshmen, look away now or be prepared to weep at the horror of your new shirts -

Comment

Kick and Clap is back!

I would have liked to see the Women's World Cup, but I don't think it was on tv here. Three women from Penn State were on that team. A friend of mine from William & Mary was on the team that played in the World Cup in Edmonton whenever that was, but I think she's retired from international competition now.

Comment

Kick and Clap is back!

Someone send a cardiologist to Harry's office stet, before he sees Eggy's post.

Oh, the humanity . . .

Comment

Kick and Clap is back!

What is Admiral?

Comment

Kick and Clap is back!

A Wales-based insurance company.

Comment

Kick and Clap is back!

At least Wales is going to protect this house. CLICK! CLACK!

Comment

Kick and Clap is back!

Three Americans on a rugby thread.

I think this is unprecedented in OTF history.

Comment

Kick and Clap is back!

ursus arctos wrote:

Oh, the humanity . . .
                              Oh, my beautiful eyes.

Comment

Kick and Clap is back!

Rugby generally interests me less than cricket.

This thread is about rugby union, right? I can never keep straight which leagues and which teams play which nor do I understand why people get so worked up about the differences.

Comment

Kick and Clap is back!

ursus arctos wrote:
                                  Three Americans on a rugby thread.

I think this is unprecedented in OTF history.
                                  Every time I saw this thread title, I thought of "Car Talk" and Click & Clack. Then when I saw those jerseys with the Under Armour logo, I was able to fit click and clack in a post!

Comment

Kick and Clap is back!

Reed John wrote:
                                    Rugby generally interests me less than cricket.

This thread is about rugby union, right? I can never keep straight which leagues and which teams play which nor do I understand why people get so worked up about the differences.
                                    In a word, "class".

Comment

Kick and Clap is back!

Except for in Gloucester.

And you're right it's rugby union.

My upbringing is with union and it seems to me to have more events that matter- 6 Nations, Lions, World Cup. The Challenge Cup Final used to be a good league occasion, but not sure about it now.

Comment

Kick and Clap is back!

It's confusing. In America, the Super League is actually a national rugby union competition.

So to clarify:
                                        Union
                                        World Cup (the one on TV that even the US is in)
                                        Super 12 (Southern Hemisphere)
                                        Guiness Premiership (Britain)
                                        Tri-Nations
                                        Five Nations

League
                                        NRL
                                        Super League

Correct?

Comment

Kick and Clap is back!

The Five Nations is now the Six Nations, but yes.

I've recently started stepping out with a Rugby League fan, which means I now have to pretend to be interested in that, just after leaving Cardiff meant I could stop pretending to be interested in Union.

That kit is vile.

Comment

Kick and Clap is back!

NCAA rugby is also union, as is virtually all rugby played in the US (other than sevens, which is closer to union than league, but with only seven players on a side).

The fact that Murdoch is intimately connected with the Australian and British Rugby League competitions means that they get more exposure in North America (via various Fox outlets) than they really merit. Virtually all of the domestic "talent" on Fox Soccer Channel appears not to know that there are two different codes.

I'm imagining Etienne trying to convince the object of his desire that Richie Benaud is a more important figure in the history of the world than Eddie Hemmings.

Comment

Kick and Clap is back!

That's a rather confusing Rugby League exemplar you chose there. You're aware of the other Eddie Hemmings?

Comment

Kick and Clap is back!

Yeah, but I figured that context would be enough to distinguish them. And I'm weak on League stalwarts vs. Glamorgan captains.

Comment

Kick and Clap is back!

The context was perfectly sufficient. Just being a smartarse. That's good knowledge on your part.

You ever need a Glamorgan captain to chuck in to a conversation, go for Wilf Wooler. Or to keep up to date (in the sense of choosing someone alive) Tony Lewis.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X