Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tenuous connections to sports greatness (again)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just learned that my colleague is the sister of 1992 Speedway World Champion Gary Havelock.I had no idea Speedway had an individual championship. He's still doing it. Their dad did it too.

* Former WBO and IBO cruiserweight world champion Carl Thompson is the godfather of my nephew
    * I used to work with Terry Fenwick's son
    * As a nipper, I signed Peter Reid's plastercast

Comment

More of a good connection to tenuous sporting greatness, but one of the guys on the same squash team as me has one of the fastest forehands according to England squash.
      The claim is rendered even more tenuous by that list being i) out of date, and ii) not exactly comprehensive in the first place.

Comment

Shortly after the 1982 FA Cup final I bought two le coq sportif t-shirts from QPR keeper Peter Hucker's dad. He had a sportswear shop in March. Don't bother looking for it now, it's become a Christian reading room.

Comment

Reed John wrote:
          I just learned that my colleague is the sister of 1992 Speedway World Champion Gary Havelock.I had no idea Speedway had an individual championship. He's still doing it. Their dad did it too.
          That's awesome, Reed. Gary is a regular pundit on Sky Sports' coverage of speedway, and has proudly sported some of the worst shirts ever seen on television (and quite a few interesting haircuts, too).

I'm also old enough to have seen his father Brian race in the 1970s.

Comment

Working...
          X