Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Laurent Fignon

has died. At the age of 50.

Now what could possibly make a finely tuned athlete die so early?

That last day defeat by Lemond will live long in the memory though, as will the rivalry with Hinault

Laurent Fignon

What dreadful news.

He'd been battling cancer for a while, although he gave interviews during this year's Tour in which he said he was recovering.

Apparently he once met a sponsor who said "I remember you, you are the guy who lost the Tour by 8 seconds" "No" replied Fignon "I am a guy who won the Tour twice".

Comment

Laurent Fignon

A great shame, he was a big favourite of mine in the days when I used to take real interest in cycling.

Comment

Laurent Fignon

I can heartily recommend his book.
        http://www.amazon.co.uk/We-Were-Young-Carefree-Autobiography/dp/0224083198
        RIP - A French Champion.

Comment

Laurent Fignon

I saw him once at a Wales v France 5 Nations match. I think it was the year after he retired. I remember thinking that he looked very healthy. If he was a dog I'd have said that he had a nice condition on him.
          Very sad.

Comment

Laurent Fignon

ad joc's sarcasm is a little unnecessary.

Not beacuse cycling was clean in that era or anything of the sort, but the obituaries I read in France and Spain all mentioned the following anecdote, presumabkly from his autobiog.:

Fignon listed for his doctors, as soon as he was diagnosed, all the amphetamines, cortisoids etc that he took in his career and they laughed, saying that if speed and cortisone gave you cancer, every sportsperson would have it.

Comment

Working...
            X