Monty's monomania

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Monty's monomania

Europe's 'top' golfers appear to have stuffed Monty (and possibly themselves) right and proper by all deciding to go and chase the mighty dollar at the FedEx Cup instead of playing their way into his Ryder Cup team this weekend. At the very least, the European Team is certain now not to contain at least one of Padraig Harrington, Justin Rose, Luke Donald and Paul Casey, none of whom can now qualify automatically, and Monty will come under some pressure to spend one of his three 'Captain's picks' on Edoardo Molinari, to partner younger brother Francesco, if - as looks likely - Francesco plays his way in from the "European Tour" list. The Molinari brothers won last year's World Cup - played at fourballs and foursomes, like the Ryder Cup - and Edoardo is also ranked higher than Casey, Harrington and Rose on the "World" list as well, so his inclusion would probably be justified with or without his brother in the team.

There's even been talk of Monty considering Bernhard Langer, who's recently won both the British and US Senior Open titles, but I think that's fanciful. If I were Monty I'd go with Molinari and Donald, but I'd hate to have to choose between Casey, Harrington and Rose. I'd probably draw straws and pray that whoever I picked looked like an inspired choice when the matches started.

Monty's monomania

I thought this was going to be about Panesar . . .

Comment

Monty's monomania

Me too. Can we hijack this thread. He's bowled pretty well lately, but all this Ashes talk is far too fanciful, surely?

Comment

Monty's monomania

Sure, it's only Rogin's sixth or seventh attempt at a Ryder Cup thread.

The problem is that England have become completely Swann-dependant, innit? And he's never played in a test in Australia (I'm not sure that he's ever been to Australia, whereas Monty has a fivefer at the WACA and a total of ten wickets in three matches.

I don't have a dog in the Ashes fight, but I do think that England are more entertaining with Monty.

Comment

Monty's monomania

Comment

Monty's monomania

But given that Swann is by far the superior batter and fielder, how bad would his bowling have to be before you would pick Monty instead? Also, I think Rashid is ahead of him there anywhere.
            Personally, I think England are going to get trashed in the Ashes again, as they always do Down Under. If we're going to pick entertaining cricketers with a half-decent track record in Australia, can we have Matthew Hoggard back?

Comment

Monty's monomania

You would have to be mad (or the ICC) to pick Monty ahead of Swann, but that doesn't mean that he wouldn't be useful in the squad. That said, I think that you are right that Rashid (who I've never seen) is ahead of Mr. Panesar.

A trashing by either side would ruin it for neutrals such as myself. The Oval Test against Pakistan was terrific and has set up the Lord's Test nicely.

Comment

Monty's monomania

Hopefully it will be close, far closer than in previous years. It can't be worse than the last tour anyway. But personally, I think England's batting looks fragile, all of England's bowlers are unproven in Australia, and of course they have home advantage. So for me, Australia are huge favourites.

Comment

Monty's monomania

I understand North America are often quite weak in the Ryder Cup. To even things up, we in Ultonia will take yis on single handed, spearheaded by G-Mac and the Holywood Blockbuster.

I criticise pundits for picking England's team next season before finishing this term's fixtures, but what the hell. Assuming everyone's fit, the squad for Australia will be the current side plus Bresnan and Shahzad as back-up quicks, Panesar, Bell and Davies as second keeper. Rashid should be all-rounder in the B team.

Ultonia's two top players will be back on their farms in the Sperrins.

Comment

Working...
                  X