Watching athletics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Watching athletics

So, it has come to my attention that the European Athletics Championships are taking place this week in Barcelona, where I happen to be. Has anyone ever attended an athletics event? Is it worth going to? Seems like I can get a day ticket for as little as €10 if I sit in presumably the worst area of the stadium, or €20 if I sit most other places. Any tips?

Watching athletics

Assuming it's being held in the Olimpio, then it's a great venue, and you should have a decent view even with the 10 euro tickets.

But I can't stand athletics, so I can't help you more than that.

Comment

Watching athletics

I've been to a number of meets, and found them generally worthwhile, though the better ones were all indoors. There is a three-ring circus aspect to the competition that both adds to its interest and can take some getting used to. You don't want to be too high or too low in the stands, but at a venue like Montjuic, there will be video screens for replays of things like the sprints (which are hard to take in live anyway).

The prices certainly seem reasonable.

Comment

Watching athletics

I've never tried it, but I would imagine the experience, similarly to other racing events like horses and motor sports, improves in proportion to how visible the finish line is, and sitting among the cheap seats would involve you joining in with everyone else on that side of the stadium asking who won and waiting for it to filter round from the other side. Having said that, an event like the European Athletics Championships would include a large screen.

Comment

Watching athletics

Only ever been to one athletics meeting, and it was pretty good. 1981 in Crystal Palace. Allan Wells was the big star from the Olympics, and Mel Lattany was the American big boy, and they put the fuckers in different races. Wells ran when it was pissing down, Lattany not. (Lattany won, separately by 0.02).

To, three Scottish boys down watching this person (staying at my sisters), it was a fantastic night.

Comment

Watching athletics

No help really. Dont expect to buy the tickets for the 100m final, as there is some non-apathy this year (check the runners, and probably the Guardian).

Best race will be anything with a serious Catalan chance, but I dont know enough.

Brit wise, Jessica Ennis, should, but wont win, as its too early.

I think there is a really good German guy who will win the hurdles (110), but I really dont know this time.

Comment

Watching athletics

I attended the West German national championships in Hanover in 1980. It was a lot of fun.

Comment

Watching athletics

I'd agree with the "three-ring circus" aspect, if that's not too disparaging an analogy. Athletics seems to have it spot on with scheduling events precisely for the benefit of fans in the stadium, as there's almost always some aspect of a running, jumping or throwing event going on at any particular time, very often simultaneously.

The hardest part for a fan in the stadium must be concentrating on three things at once, if you get absorbed by the goings-on in each. And with events lasting from 9 in the morning to the major track finals at 9 at night, you certainly get your money's worth.

Comment

Watching athletics

Right, the silly stuff out of the way first. Blue running track - it's wrong. It's now a feature of the sport, but it's wrong. I can't explain why, but I'll put it down to the traditionalist in me. The red track is just proper. Why can't they leave it like that?

Well done to Derval O'Rourke, winning a second successive European Silver Medal in the Womens 100m Hurdles. She's a fantastic sportswoman, always speaking well, always revealing her inner fears whilst explaining her ambitions. She's one of Ireland's sporting gems. I'm made up for her.

Comment

Watching athletics

I went to three nights of this event, my first trip to a multi-day Athletics meeting (I've been to Golden League and domestic UK events before).

The atmosphere and location were brilliant, and the organisation of the track and field action was also top notch (though I had a number of gripes with the rest of the organisation e.g. leaving some access gates locked leading to longer queues at the others, poor signage, inconsistent stewarding).

Despite a couple of world class performances, I couldn't help feeling that the event showcased the gulf between the top European athletes and those from the rest of the world, particularly the Americas and Africa. Whether some of the younger medallists and finallists can go on to improve and become contenders in future Olympics and World Championships will be interesting to watch, but the fact that senior citizens like Christian Malcolm are still outperforming the best of the young talent suggests that this wasn't a vintage tournament in anything other than British success and watchability.

Comment

Working...
                    X