Pakistan v Australia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pakistan v Australia

Getting 160 vs Sri Lanka is much tougher than geeting 250 vs New Zealand.

I would have had Australia favourites, with anything over 150. I stick with my judgement on Pakistan in that respect, when the pressure came they barely quivered over the line. I think I did overrate the Aussies though, it's hard for someone of my age to get to grips with an Aussie side that bowls in mediocre fashion when the crunch is on, and drops catches into the bargain.

I'd have had a higher opinion of Azhar and Amin if they'd forced their way into the team. As it is they got in because Younus and Yousuf were banned. They may be good players (in fact they seem decent players) but there was no guarantee. More importantly, they were both playing in a pressure situation they could surely have never experienced before. It was too much for Umar Akmal, who at least has some internation experience.

I think the tactic of choosing the four best bowlers, giving them a run and trusting them to improve their batting, is sensible. The non-batting four, by dint of their excellent bowling in the first innings, only needed one to win when they came together.
    Sure, and I'm not advocating dropping one of them for some Pakistani Tim Bresnan, but it is a factor in whether they are likely to chase 180 under pressure.

Comment

Working...
    X