Pakistan v Australia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pakistan v Australia

An overcast morning, a seaming new ball, a half-full Lord's. Proper Old Cricket in full effect. I'm there on Thursday too - anyone else?

And an early and deserved breakthrough for Aamer.

Pakistan v Australia

What's the turnout/ weather forecast like? Blofeld doesn't sound too impressed.

Talking of whom, the dear old boy must be close to an enforced retirement. Yesterday he couldn't decide whether England were playing Pakistan or Sri Lanka, pronounce any of the players' names, or distinguish Andrew Strauss from Alec Stewart. For an extended period he was helped out by the Vaughans (Michael and five-year old Archie). It was like Father Ted.

Comment

Pakistan v Australia

Duncan Gardner wrote:
      Talking of whom, the dear old boy must be close to an enforced retirement.
      I've been thinking "This must be Blofeld's last summer" every year for about the past decade, but still he ploughs on.

Saw the Australians at Derby last week, and their bowling attack looked unimpressive. If it's the usual Lords flat pitch Pakistan should score a hatful.

Comment

Pakistan v Australia

Australia collapse.

Looks like good bowling conditions.

Real cricket indeed.

Comment

Pakistan v Australia

Maybe the selectors will finally get the kick up the backside they deserve. The team has too many New South Wales players and other more deserving players should be in the team are over looked.

Comment

Pakistan v Australia

Sadly the rain looks like it might intervene tomorrow and Thursday.

Comment

Pakistan v Australia

Welcome to the board Big Vargas. Which NSW players do you think shouldn't be in the team, and who should replace them? In this team there are 3, Clarke, Smith and Bollinger.

Clarke is VC, so he seems safe. I'm not sure Smith is test ready yet, but I can see why he's been fast-tracked. I'm not sure about Bollinger as a test bowler (I think he's a very good limited overs bowler) but who is being kept out? Harris, maybe? Or are there better bowlers in Shield cricket as yet uncapped?

Comment

Pakistan v Australia

Yeah, welcome!

Comment

Pakistan v Australia

Morning E10, morning everyone. I'll be there on Thursday, I have your 'phone number. Looks like we're in the corpos, alas

ps Three Tassies in the Aussie side (Punter, Hilfenhaus and Paine).

Bah. They're off for darkness.

Comment

Pakistan v Australia

Shame. You need cloud cover to stop Lords turning into a right shirtfront. Unfortunately, cloud cover (in a causation rather than correlation kind of way) seems to have something to do with bad light and rain.

Been a good battle so far.

Comment

Pakistan v Australia

Ah, I see we have an Aussie poster. Quick question: Is the term "Paki" considered racist in Australia or is it simply a shorthand term like the Windies?

Comment

Pakistan v Australia

Sadly the rain looks like it might intervene tomorrow and Thursday.

It doesn't look like losing time will be a serious issue.

As I type, the only Pakistani to show any reistance, Salman Butt, gets bowled. 133-9. Australia will have a lead of over 100.

I wonder what target the Aussies will feel is enough? They probably only need 250, but I doubt they will call it quits until they are something like 500 up instead.

Comment

Pakistan v Australia

Back out now in bright sun. Though it's really raining hard in Bethnal Green.

Nice to see Watson take some wickets. He's sharp and can do a bit with the ball.

Comment

Pakistan v Australia

All out for 148, 105 behind. Watson gets five of them.

Tomorrow might be a fairly dull day, I fear. Australia carefully accumulating because of the conditions, but not really being threatened by a dispirted attack, all played out without much rythym due to annoying breaks for light/drizzle.

Comment

Pakistan v Australia

Janik wrote:
                              Watson gets five of them.
                              Does that go on Lords' honours board?

Comment

Pakistan v Australia

First entry on the new "neutral" board.

Comment

Pakistan v Australia

Umar Gul gets Clarke and Hussey in successive balls, to get Australia 97-4. I think this Pakistani batting line-up is going to be like the Bangladesh one though. On a sunny day, fine, when it's moving around, not great. Shame as the bowling is very good.

Comment

Pakistan v Australia

Have Ponting and Hussey ever gone for ducks before in the same innings?

500 looks rather aspirational.

Comment

Pakistan v Australia

At least once. Aus still managed 375!

Comment

Pakistan v Australia

I was worried that Ponting might get on the board; fortunately it's not happened. Again. What chance Australia now scheduling their next match against Bangladesh at Lords?

Comment

Pakistan v Australia

Is the term "Paki" considered racist in Australia or is it simply a shorthand term like the Windies?
                                          In India they refer to Pakistanis as 'Pak', rather than 'Paki'. Dropping the 'I' makes it acceptable apparently.

Comment

Pakistan v Australia

That's pretty common in Pakistan too. Wouldn't suggest it for UK though.

Comment

Pakistan v Australia

500 looks rather aspirational.

They got rather closer to it than they ought to have been allowed.

Comment

Pakistan v Australia

I was there for the first two sessions today. Pakistan had a sniff of a way back into this, first thing this morning, and just after lunch, but they squandered it horribly. Afridi sending down over after over of innocuous leg-breaks, while under-using Amir and Asif, let them right off the hook. He's no Test captain is he?

Comment

Pakistan v Australia

He's no test player, or hasn't been for 4 years. They'd have been better off bringing back a Pakistani Ray Illingworth to captain in this test.

Mudassar Nazar is old enough.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X