Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ban scrums in school- blimpwatch

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/10501327.stm

I was terrified in the scrum, so I'm all for it.

Pound for the best "Disgusted of Dorking" article in response to this. Extra pound for any article that claims Edinburgh is a redbrick university or which links this with Scotland's lack of a private sector.

But "Ms" Pollock better not fuck with cricket. When Tubby Jnr wins his fast bowling scholarship to Millfield, he'd better be allowed to bowl at heads for a laugh. Maybe he can find a future hearthrob actor to pepper with chin music.

Comment

Rugby scrums should be banned in international games to protect spectators involved in a sport which is "not interesting enough" for them, an expert has warned.
      No, but come on, if the IRB doesn't sort out the endless re-sets and penalties for sniffing while engaged in the scrum, it might as well abandon the scrum altogether.

I speak as an ex-second row forward (schoolboy level) who liked nothing more than shoving his head between sweaty front-rowers' hips and his hand between a fat prop's legs and pushing in the mud to see who could get the ball out first. At least it was a competition then.

Comment

I've just finished reading Brian Moore's autobiography, Beware Of The Dog, and he devotes an entire chapter to shredding the IRB about modern scrums and how crap they are. I'm inclined to agree. The endless fucking about at the "Engage" drives everyone nuts as well, it's a bloody waste of time to watch and adds nothing to the game.

I read that article earlier today, and someone needs to put that woman at the bottom of a ruck and give her a fucking good shoeing in the style of an old school New Zealand pack.

Also

High tackles...should be banned.
        Last time I checked the Laws of the Game, they were. Penalty offence, ref's discretion for a card as well.

Comment

Exactly the opposite needs to be done - kids need to be coached to do it properly. That means the coaches are going to have to be coached at it as well.

Moore has the problem of many ex-player "characters" in a lot of sports, but it's particularly acute in rugby - he doesn't appear to realise that the game has changed substantially since his era. The "hit" in the scrum, at the top level, is much, much heavier than it used to be. Going back to old rules would be incredibly unsafe.

The problem with resets seems to be a North/South (hemisphere) thing - Southern refs, properly applying a long pause to Southern packs who are used to it, don't seem to generate nearly the same problems.

Comment

Toroguay wrote:
            Exactly the opposite needs to be done - kids need to be coached to do it properly. That means the coaches are going to have to be coached at it as well.

Moore has the problem of many ex-player "characters" in a lot of sports, but it's particularly acute in rugby - he doesn't appear to realise that the game has changed substantially since his era. The "hit" in the scrum, at the top level, is much, much heavier than it used to be. Going back to old rules would be incredibly unsafe.
            Well, Moore says that this is the problem - technique has been sacrificed simply to get a load of power going, which has made the scrums less safe, especially with the massive "hit" on the engage which never used to happen. Someone like Tom Smith, a small guy who routinely destroyed far bigger and stronger guys than him with an excellent technique, gives the lie to the idea that you need six foot four looseheads built like roid freaks to have a successful scrum. But yes, I agree that coaching needs to be done properly.

Interestingly, discussing this topic on a rugby board I was amazed to find that in South Africa, kids up to the age 13 play rugby barefoot.

Whether the stats I pinched below are accurate or not, this makes interesting reading -

This is really crap "science".

So the study shows 37 injuries in 190 matches.

Of the 37 injuries 20 went to A&E. Presumably most were stiches, maybe the odd break or dislocation.

Only 1 stayed overnight.

190 matches would have featured 190 x 40 players = 7,600 players

So you would have had a 1 in 200 chance of getting "an injury" in a Rugby match and a 1 in 380 chance of going to hospital and only a 1 in 7600 chance (or 0.01%) of having to stay overnight.

Yours

Disgusted of Dorking.

Comment

Ah, Toro's back.

Eggchaser's satirical call for the author to get beaten up by the New Zealand pack was good preparation for later this week when no doubt I read Bill Carmichael saying the same thing deadly seriously.

I did wonder about the high tackles comment- I think even my school at the time "If..." was being filmed would have taken those very seriously.

I don't get this at all:

"If youngsters were coming back from school trips with these rates of injuries it would be enough to trigger a major inquiry."
              Apples and oranges.

She may though be right about concussion being underreported.

Comment

Working...
              X