College Basketball 2007-8 (part two)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

He's so much more obnoxious and arrogant than he used to be - perhaps even the most obnoxious and arrogant coach that I've ever seen - but seeing him interviewed at the end, taking full credit for the loss and obviously in complete shock and praising his players and Kansas, I felt for him (but I'm always a sucker for the old bad-guy-exhibiting-honor-upon-defeat thing.)

He's more of a pro wrestling manager than sports coach, which is why I like him (and why John Cheney of Temple literally said that he wanted him dead.) The worst possible sin in my book is getting no reaction at all. Either be a dickhead, or be an angel, but don't be a boring plankton with the personality of a broomstick.

John Cheney must be smiling, however

Comment

And I don't understand the vast numbers of people clowning Cal for saying that about making free throws. I mean what else is he supposed to say ? "You're right everybody, if we're in a close game, be sure to foul the shit out of us because we'll be laying more bricks than a mason." or "You're right. My team sucks on the line."

Inspiration and Confidence and all that. He was just giving his players faith. That was good coaching.

Comment

I really miss John Chaney. Though the loss last night was nice, I imagine Chaney's happiest Calipari-related schadenfreude moment was when UMass's trip to the Final Four was voided.

Comment

Nah. You don't have to say something like that, because everybody knows it. But you could be a little bit honest, say something like "that's still something we're working on," or "the guys know we need to do better from the line." Maybe he got on them in practice--hell, he might have believed they could get away with it.

Remember--Memphis was lucky to get to the Sweet 16 because of poor free throws. And he didn't just say they would be alright, he spun their performance as something that won them the game:

"What I'm taking great pride in is we won it with Chris's free throw," Memphis Coach John Calipari said. "So all that stuff about our free-throw shooting now goes out the window, I guess."

Calipari's remark elicited laughter from the news media because Memphis (35-1) finished the game 15 of 32 from the free-throw line (46.9 percent). The Tigers entered the game shooting 59.7 percent from the line.

Mississippi State (23-11) made 14 of 20 free-throw attempts (70 percent). The Bulldogs had a game-high 21 points from Gordon, a junior guard.

"We made more free throws than them," Calipari said. "We beat them at the free-throw line."

Comment

Sorry captain, I cannae make this delete any fastar !!!

Comment

Uh, so my post above was in response to JV's comment #8927, not to Gyuri's right above it. I could copy my response to follow up jv's comment #8962, but I won't.

Comment

Thanks for clearing that up. I couldn't for the life of me figure why people about the University of California, Berkeley.

Is there any truth to these stories that Boone Pickens is going to offer Self 10 million a year to go to Okla. State?

Comment

I have no idea why I double posted. Being that you can't delete anymore, oh well. I'll just have to look like I have OCD.

Comment

ursus arctos wrote:
                    Is there any truth to these stories that Boone Pickens is going to offer Self 10 million a year to go to Okla. State?
                    On PTI yesterday, they were saying a $6m salary, with a $4m signing bonus. So not $10m each year. Not that I wouldn't put it past T. Boone...

Anyone else think it was maybe a tad over-the-line for Roy Williams to be at the game wearing a Kansas pin and cheering them on? Obviously he still has feelings for the program, but I just wonder what his players thought of him rooting on the team that beat them.

Comment

Definitely weird, but maybe he really is that sensitive. It gets to the point where you have lived your life, and it doesn't matter what political considerations there are - other than your feelings and what you want in your life.

Maybe it is that important to ol' Roy what the people of Kansas think of him. He got his national championship already, he humiliated himself by wearing that pin, Kansas got the championship that he couldn't win for them...so maybe the poor sensitive bastard and those nutbag fans can all be at peace. I mean if any Jayhawk fan harbors any resentment towards him after this nutty display...

Comment

Looks like Love and Collison just declared for the draft. The story says they will hire agents, which makes the choice irreversible. This is too bad (and not just for Inca), as I thought Love could have used one more year in college to work on his body. As it is, I'm not sure he's a lottery pick.

Comment

Working...
                        X