College Basketball 2007-8 (part two)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One of those frustrating 1 step forward-2 steps back kind of games for Louisville. I hope the Rickster has something cooked up to finally break through.

But with a jumper to extend it to 7 and a travel for the Ville with 2 to play, it's not looking too promising.

Comment

Game over, they're not going to beat that Hansbrough fuck.

Comment

jason voorhees wrote:
        Good game. I must admit I got a little sad seeing the Xavier seniors crying after the game. That's the bitch with knockout tournaments...if you're good enough to get in, there's a 98% chance that your season - and career - are going to end in a crushing defeat.
        Yeah, that was sad, but they have nothing to be ashamed about. At least they weren't crying while they still had a chance to win.

Comment

23-23. Horrible 1st 10 mintues, Incredible next 5 minutes. Curry v Chalmers.

Glad to see Memphis make it in. Texass was lame, and their endless fouling was ridiculous. Glad to see even their own crowd booing them at the end.

Comment

30-28 at the half for the KJs. Don't know what'll happen for the end; you got to figure Curry will continue his 2nd half hot streak, but can Davidson keep the Js from the fast break ?

Really well coached game by Davidson. They're obviously more than Curry.

Comment

FUCK

Oh well.

Comment

Today's the day. I have butterflies in my stomach already. Rationally, I think UCLA should be able to handle Memphis--they can slow the game down, we have two of the country's best defenders in the backcourt, and Kevin Love overmatches them inside, and Howland is a much better game manager than Calipari. But still, we've looked vulnerable against teams that can get on a hot streak, and Memphis' whole game is one long hot streak.

Comment

I'm nervous for UCLA as well, Inca. Though I'm not really a UCLA fan, of the teams involved in the Final 4, they are my clear favorite. Howland is a great coach, and though I think Memphis is more athletic, with a good chance if they can run, Howland and the defenders should be able to keep it in check so long as Shipp either makes his shots or doesn't shoot them (long rebounds could kill UCLA today).

My main fear is that I despise Calipari (from back in his UMass days), and my phrustrated-Philly-phueled hatred has generally been mocked by the sporting gods.

Comment

Thanks for the support, Gyuri. Nice to have you and ursus on my side.

Comment

It's early yet, and the score is still relatively close (28-23 Memphis), but Memphis seems much bigger and quicker than UCLA. They keep harassing UCLA into stupid mistakes/turnovers and are pushing the pace of the game. UCLA has to slow it down, and figure out a way to keep their low post defenders anchored without giving up open 3s.

Comment

Sorry Incs, you'll have to make it past this one to get my cheers. I'm going with Stax Records, Isaac Hayes, BB King, Sun Studios, Carl Perkins, Mystery Train...and plus you already took enough from Memphis in the name of Pau Gasol.

Comment

38-35 Memphis at the half, but the score seems much closer than it ought to be. Hopefully, Howland can work some magic at halftime, but it would be really excellent if Collison, Keefe and Love would stop accidentally stepping/dribbling out of bounds.

Comment

Keefe has been clumsy.

I'm optimistic. Looking at all of those fast breaks, you would think that Memphis would be up by at least 10. The defense did well at the end of the half, and they did a better job of getting Love the ball. Most importantly, I think, Memphis seems to be committing stupid fouls.

Comment

I agree that Memphis committing stupid fouls. They're also taking stupid shots. Hopefully they'll keep this up in the second half, and Love can take over offensively.

Of course, I'm not optimistic (all young Philadelphia-born children have their sports-related optimism removed before puberty).

Comment

May I add that while I continue to hope that Memphis will beat fUCLA, I will lend a sympathetic ear and some kind apologetic words upon the Bruins' upcoming defeat.

Comment

GET THE BALL INSIDE

Comment

FUCK

Comment

I'll be sure to say "sorry about that, bad luck," and "don't worry, it was a great season," and "there's nothing to be ashamed of, 3 Final Fours in a row is an incredible accomplishment," and "there's always next year."

Comment

Sorry about that Inca, bad luck. Don't worry, it was a great season. There's nothing to be ashamed of, 3 Final Fours in a row is an incredible accomplishment. Plus, there's always next year.

Comment

I second what JV said, Inca, though with more sincerity. It was a tough match-up for UCLA,and I think they would have fared better against either Kansas or UNC.

Comment

Yeah, thanks a lot jv. A sincere thanks to Gyuri.

I won't be rooting for them, but I'd like to see Memphis win. F the ACC and the Big 12. Collison picked a bad time to have his worst game of the season, and the guys didn't play Ben Ball. Chased bad shots, did not get the ball inside. Love also seemed to be knackered for most of the second half. Those Memphis guys are big and tough. I hope KL decides that was not the way to end his college career and comes back to put banner #12 up next year.

Comment

Inca,

I'm with you in hoping Love stays. I think he's destined to be a better college than pro player, and he could use another year to get his body in more NBA-type shape.

As for finding something to like out of the remaining teams. . .

Part of me wants to root for UNC, because I believe I win my pool if they win it all. Yet, I've never liked those smug, blue-footed bastards and now that they've got Everyone's Buddy Roy in charge, I like them even less. Also, I generally despise the then-current version of the Great White Hope (he's hard-working! he's intelligent! he's white!) and Hansborough is no exception.

I have a hard time rooting for Memphis, because I don't like Calipari and I'm pissed at the city for gifting Gausol to the Lakers. Worse, I don't know how I can root for a team from such a Jay Gatsby-like conference that drapes itself in meaningless patriotism and claims to speak for me. Conference USA, my ass.

Now that Everyone's Buddy Roy is gone, I find Kansas much less objectionable. I've a soft spot for their '88 team (Manning and the Miracles) and its upset of the Oklahoma juggernaut. I guess I'll have to root for Kansas, which should guarantee their loss.

Comment

Wow. I stepped away for a little while, and when I came back it was 40-14 Kansas over UNC. UNC has since gone on a run to make it 44-27 at halftime. Thought this would be closer.

Comment

This is just one of those batshit-crazy college games. So much hype, so much emotion. I can see UNC beating Kansas by 30 before this is over.

Davidson seems to have done KU their biggest favor by slowing that game down and refusing to get in a run-and-gun game with them. They were absolutely shot out of a cannon at the beginning of this one, until their cannonball simply ran out of buildings to go through.

Comment

You're looking prescient, JV.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X