Howlers made in sports tv/films

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm sure there are much worse ones but one really gets me. A batsman has his stumps shattered by a bowler, and the umpire puts up his finger to say out. I've just seen it on The Professionals where, to be fair, the batsman (Lewis Bodie) had been distracted and wasn't happy with his dismissal. So the finger-up had a point, but it's still wrong- the ump would just nod.

Gets me, it really does. But possibly not as bad as the 80s dramatisation of Bodyline, which had batsmen sweeping Larwood.

Not so much a howler, but – staying on a cricket theme – Forest Whitaker's bowling in The Crying Game wasn't the most convincing.

Comment

There are zillions of these, but one of the classic baseball examples is the otherwise quite good Eight Men Out, in which Eddie Collins bats right-handed (he was a lefty), Buck Weaver bats right-handed (he was a switch-hitter), and Dickey Kerr throws right-handed (he was a lefty). The entire cast also mispronounces Eddie Cicotte's name throughout the film, and the Reds bat first in Game One of the World Series despite the fact that they are at home.

For a contemporary example, how about Matt Damon (5'10") playing Francois Pienaar (6'3", and about 10kg heavier).

Comment

Here's a clip from Bodyline:

Someone once described the non-Hadlee part of the New Zealand attack as being like Ilford 2nd XI. Bradman here is dismissed, played on, by a change bowler from a school parents' XI. God only knows how he took the wicket that brought Bradman in. Was Woodfull/Ponsford bowled after being stung by a hornet as the ball was delivered?

Comment

Stumpy Pepys wrote:
          Not so much a howler, but – staying on a cricket theme – Forest Whitaker's bowling in The Crying Game wasn't the most convincing.
          James Whitakers bowling wasn't that convincing either. He had figures of 8-0-87-0 in one innings. At least he did better than David Gower who got 9-0-102-0. They were "expediting" a declaration but even so it was an achievement to allow Steve O'Shaughnessy to break the record for the fastest hundred ever.

Hollywood should make a film about that. Gower and Whitaker could play themselves.

Full story here:

http://www.cricinfo.com/magazine/content/story/247910.html

Comment

Good God, that's ridiculous.

Who did the film?

Comment

A casting howler was thinking that Dennis Waterman would be able to pull off a convincing Geordie accent in "The World Cup: A Captain's Tale".

Comment

ursus arctos wrote:
                Good God, that's ridiculous.

Who did the film?
                Someone in Australia I've never heard of:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0086672/combined

It looks like the show is not without fans.

It's funny because they did the hard bit in getting the crowd together. Every other actor seems to like cricket in England, so I expect in Australia it's about 95%. Yet they cast that chap to bowl.

Comment

Not a sports film, but in She's All That, Freddie Prinze jr as a college soccer player produces a bit of skill that would impress in a top international player, before finishing up by skewing a shot badly. All his team-mates are convinced that this is incontrovertible evidence that his mind isn't on the game.

Comment

Almost any horsey film you care to name will get something wrong - usually in the equipment department (idiocies like showing a racehorse in a double bridle, jockeys wearing spurs and that kind of thing).Seabiscuit, Champions, National Velvet, The Horse Whisperer, and others. Has anyone noticed how in Westerns horses are always galloping about at full speed but never seem to get sweated up?

Also, Robert Redford would never have used that sort of fly in rough water in "A River Runs Through It" (fishing.....)

Thrillers are another great source (not sport, I know!) When I saw Gorky Park I noticed that the number plates of the cars supposedly being driven around Moscow were in fact Finnish - the film was made on location there and no-one remembered to change them!

Comment

Possibly a bit of a gimme for this thread on this forum, but wasn't there that film When Saturday Comes with Sean Bean playing for his beloved Sheffield United who took on Manchester United in the FA Cup semi-final at Bramall Lane?

I've never seen the film myself so I'm on stand-by to be corrected.

Comment

Tubby, the preceding wicket was a run out. In fact, that Bradman golden duck was the only wicket Bill Bowes got in the series- unsurprising with an action like that.

Comment

Yeah, but John Emburey frequently took only one wicket in a series. He didn't look the bad though.

Bosniajenny, so who wears spurs when riding horses? Is that military people?

Comment

bosniajenny wrote:
                            Almost any horsey film you care to name will get something wrong - usually in the equipment department (idiocies like showing a racehorse in a double bridle, jockeys wearing spurs and that kind of thing).Seabiscuit, Champions, National Velvet, The Horse Whisperer, and others. Has anyone noticed how in Westerns horses are always galloping about at full speed but never seem to get sweated up?

Also, Robert Redford would never have used that sort of fly in rough water in "A River Runs Through It" (fishing.....)

Thrillers are another great source (not sport, I know!) When I saw Gorky Park I noticed that the number plates of the cars supposedly being driven around Moscow were in fact Finnish - the film was made on location there and no-one remembered to change them!
                            The main thing wrong with "Seabiscuit" was that no gambling or betting was portrayed- in a film about horse racing...!

Comment

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
                              Yeah, but John Emburey frequently took only one wicket in a series. He didn't look the bad though.

Bosniajenny, so who wears spurs when riding horses? Is that military people?
                              Mainly, yes. But traditionally people who rode in the hunting field wore them, more to set off the cut of the boot than for use on the horse, thank God. Some dressage riders also wear long-neck spurs because used correctly they can refine the leg aids, depending on the shape of the horse behind the saddle, although they are not allowed in competition (very complicated to explain, and I won't try as it would probably bore you to tears.) But mainly these days spurs are not exactly frowned upon but are going gradually out of use, which is no bad thing.

Comment

trimster wrote:
                                The main thing wrong with "Seabiscuit" was that no gambling or betting was portrayed- in a film about horse racing...![/quote]
                                Indeed! That was so obvious I overlooked it! And I don't think many of the other racing films had much in them about the betting side, either....

Comment

Jenny, cheers. There's a statue of Wellington (at Bank Junction) where he's not wearing any spurs. Is that a (non-sporting) howler?

Not having betting in a horse film? Isn't that editing for artistic purposes rather than a howler?

Comment

I loved Bodyline when it came out. I was too young and not knowledgable enough to spot all the howling inaccuracies made in the series. However, I remember a chat between Ray Illingworth et al on BBC1, presumably during lunch at a test match, where they said it wasn't really to be watched if you wanted an accurate depiction of cricket on the small screen but it was probably the kind of series your wife could enjoy.

Comment

Working...
                                    X