England v Australia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

England v Australia

Marquee fixture played at a bivouac time.

Haven't the cricket board got enough money already? Having some of the big boys playing domestic county Twenty20 would have been a better idea. I get the feeling that's flagging a bit- not surprising seeing England themselves seem to think their own domestic competition is less important than India's.

Quite even so far.

England v Australia

Can't bring myself to care over much, but now is a good test to see whether England's fabled depth in the batting order is a reality or not.

Comment

England v Australia

Morgan to the rescue again?

Comment

England v Australia

It would appear so.

Comment

England v Australia

Best "English" ODI middle-order batsmen since Fairbrother in't he?

Comment

England v Australia

The new guy Harris for Australia bowled one ball at 96 mph. That's quite astonishing, if the speedo was correct.

Comment

England v Australia

Almost as amazing as the fact no-one can hit Mike Yardy off the square.

10-1-41-2

Comment

England v Australia

I don't think i could ever, ever tire of watching Eoin Morgan bat. As they say in these parts, he's got eyes like a shithouse rat.

Comment

England v Australia

I have a terrible dilemma at hand - I've got a ticket for the Old Trafford ODI on Sunday but now England will be playing their Round of 16 game in the WC on the same day.

Comment

England v Australia

Australia's bowling looking a bit green. Harris, who did well the other day, is injured, perhaps as a result of bowling a 96 mph ball the other day.

McKay just started his first over with 2 no-balls, and a six and a four from free hits. It looked like another Scott Boswell for a minute, but he came back very well. No doubt he was relieved he was bowling to "Dabber" Strauss, not some Twenty20 pyrotechnician.

Bollinger just got Kieswetter.

Comment

England v Australia

McKay has been hit all over the place while playing for Yorkshire the last couple of weeks. I'm not convinced he's particularly good.

Comment

England v Australia

He's been playing for Yorkshire? I wouldn't have known that until you mentioned it. Shows how interested i am in T20.

Irrespective of Australia's interest levels/bowling attack woes, are England striking a pre-Ashes blow here, a la 2005?

Comment

England v Australia

Yeah, played 4 games, in which he's gone for 10 an over.

Comment

England v Australia

I can't really see why as a proper batsman Mike Yardy is coming in behind Bresnan, and I really can't see why he's after Swann.

Comment

England v Australia

Etienne wrote:
                              I can't really see why as a proper batsman Mike Yardy is coming in behind Bresnan, and I really can't see why he's after Swann.
                              I think it's all about how this form of the game is perceived by Strauss. Yardy is in the side more for his bowling, if he made it into the test side he would probably bat higher.

And don't discount the batting of Bres either. He's a really useful player.

Comment

England v Australia

Well Yardy is a quick scorer in county cricket too. I could understand it if the team was looking for a quick biff. But when Bresnan and Swann came in the required run rate was under three an over, only threat was being bowled out. In those circs, surely you send your best batsman out.

Still, it worked out fine, so I shouldn't carp.

Yorkshire won in the T20 as well.

Comment

England v Australia

It's the depth of batting that's a factor as well. Broad at 10, that's some serious lower order power there.

Whisper it quietly, but England suddenly look like a very good one day outfit.

Comment

England v Australia

AUSSIE: A NEW CRISIS?

PS go to the cricket Tony. Round of sixteen, sightscreen, schmuckspring.

Comment

England v Australia

I have a terrible dilemma at hand - I've got a ticket for the Old Trafford ODI on Sunday but now England will be playing their Round of 16 game in the WC on the same day.
                                      Easy decision. If you enjoy watching England actually win stuff go to the cricket. If you prefer 'Brave England the plucky losers' go see the football.

Comment

England v Australia

Yes, I've been thinking along those lines myself, TPC.

Definitely the cricket.

Comment

England v Australia

Yardy primarily a bowler. I'm sure Etienne and Strauss are right, but that rather sums up why I don't get one day cricket. I'm the sort of anachronism who used to commentate for BBC, and then talk their way into being chairman of selectors.

Comment

England v Australia

Tony C wrote:
                                            Go to the cricket, you can always watch England play football in the quarter-finals.

Comment

England v Australia

Mini-tv? Presumably they exist and cost about 50p now.

I had to umpire a school cricket match during England Scotland in Euro 96. The scorer had a miniTV then, and compounded a year of running amok in my Latin lessons by not paying any attention to the cricket at all.

I think we had to cook up a plausible sounding score at tea.

Comment

England v Australia

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
                                                I'm the sort of anachronism who used to commentate for BBC, and then talk their way into being chairman of selectors.
                                                Michael Atherton thinks you're a cunt.

Comment

England v Australia

This series is receiving very little attention here. Something I never thought I would say about cricket in Australia.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X