RIP Manute Bol

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RIP Manute Bol

Manute Bol, the only NBA player to ever block more shots than score points, passed away from kidney failure.

It's fair to say that people paid attention to Bol simply because he was 7'7", and his play on the court, aside from his shot blocking ability, was not outstanding. But it's what he did off the court that made him a legend. He basically gave away his salary to support various causes in Sudan, and took part in stunts like boxing William Perry and playing in a minor league hockey game to raise money for helping people out in Sudan.

His physical ability gave him a way out of his country, and he did everything he could to those who couldn't leave. He will be missed.

RIP Manute Bol

I'm so glad that you posted this. I couldn't bring myself to do so. It is particularly sad that it is taking his death for people to realize just how much he did off the court.

RIP, Manute. The world is a poorer place without you.

Comment

RIP Manute Bol

This is sad. I was just thinking about him the other day. He must have been quite young - what was the casue of the kidney failure?

Comment

RIP Manute Bol

I'm not sure, but he fell gravely ill when he was last in the Sudan, and was taking medication for a kidney infection then. He had a bad reaction to the medication and developed Stevens-Johnson Syndrome, which apparently causes you to lose skin, as if you were a burn victim. The skin around his mouth was so bad that he couldn't eat or drink for days. When he made it back to the US, he had to go into a burn unit.

This was all back in mid-May. It sounded like he had a terrible last month.

Comment

RIP Manute Bol

Dear God. That's horrible.

Comment

RIP Manute Bol

A good piece from his "hometown" paper in Kansas City.

Comment

Working...
            X