June 17 1994

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

June 17 1994

Forgot to mention this film by some guy...

If you can see it, do it, you will know, and if you have seen it, or know what that date was, you will know.

Google the date if you dont. Great film.

Great film.

June 17 1994

I caught about ten minutes of this last night while trying to fall asleep in a strange time zone, and would second Ger's recommendation.

The thing that I found interesting was that my overwhelming memory of that day was the Rangers' Stanley Cup parade, which went right my office. I don't recall having watched a second of the white Bronco incident.

Comment

June 17 1994

I have this on the DVR, and the only thing that is keeping me from watching it is that Mrs. Inca also wants to watch it--something she hasn't done for any of the other 30 For 30 films.

I truly dislike Bill Simmmons, but this series was a fantastic idea.

Comment

June 17 1994

I do remember taking the Greyhound out to Pontiac, MI for the US-Switzerland game. At one of the rest areas, the Knicks and Rockets were playing with the OJ Bronco in picture in picture.

So yes, remember it well.

Comment

June 17 1994

Watched it tonight. It was one of the more interesting entries in the 30 For 30 series. I liked that there was no voiceover, and the director (Brett Morgen) had lots of non-live footage (like Costas directing how he would be introduced, etc.)

I remember that it was the last day of school, and my speech and debate coach was giving me a ride home, when we heard on the radio that the police were following OJ in AC's car. We just looked at each other and couldn't believe it.

I also remember being able to stand on the front porch of our house and see the tens of helicopters as they followed the car along the 91 freeway.

I wasn't paying attention to the Rangers or Arnold Palmer at that time, but I do remember watching the basketball game, and then seeing the picture-in-picture with the slow-speed chase, then the basketball game going into p-i-p. When I heard Al Michaels in the footage in the documentary, I was really hoping they would have had the footage with Peter Jennings and Michaels listening to a guy across the street from OJ's house that turned out to be a Howard Stern prank caller ("Oh my lawd, this is quite the tensest...").

The most depressing thing about the movie was to see all of my fellow Angelenos standing on the freeway and overpasses, waving at the cameras, while OJ is talking to the police about just wanting to see his mom before he killed himself (I had forgotten about those conversations). Not even Nathanael West in his most nightmare-fueled visions of LA could have thought of something like that.

By the way, I recently went to a party at a house on Rockingham Avenue, a few blocks away from where OJ lived. His house was torn down, and the address has been officially changed, apparently.

Comment

June 17 1994

Before I watched, I had no idea (other than Google), and then a few things slipped into my memory... baseball finishing, something about a 'football' player going berserk, and the NY Rangers finally winning something (none of the days matched up at all)... and then the penny slammed home.

Great film (and the lack of voiceover made it)

Comment

June 17 1994

I just remembered something else about this film: Ken Griffey Jr had hit 30 home runs by this date: 30. The season wasnt even halfway through... who knows what would have happened, but how pissed off HE must have been feeling when the strike hit.

Comment

June 17 1994

I remember that was the summer I lived in a tiny apartment in Harrisburg. I didn't have cable and had no way to get it since there was nobody who could wait all day for the cable guy to come. I had to go to work at my internship. So I couldn't see the Stanley Cup. Instead I had to make do with the most boring NBA finals ever (and I think they're all fairly boring). But for Game 7 of the Stanley Cup, I drove the 90 miles home to watch it at my parents' house in State College and then got up early the next morning to come back.

Comment

Working...
                X