Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The All (Not From) England Championships

Murray-Tsonga 1-1.

Terrible mistake by Tsonga in leaving a ball that was well in to give Murray his set point in the second.

Murray a bit lucky to be level really.

Comment

Federer's a decent enough guy but he has a reputation amongst other players as being a player who has ready-made excuses when he loses. He had a spat with Murray some time ago when during an interview he found an injury or illness related reason for every defeat by the Scotsman.

He was at it again today, trying to play the gracious loser but making sure the interviewer was left in no doubt that it was his knee and back problems which were the reason for his defeat.

He barely mentioned Berdych's game, if at all.

Comment

Federer's a horrible bloke - patronising when he wins and full of excuses when he doesn't.

A great day for ABF supporters like me.

Comment

You can tell it's a World Cup year. Apparently, we're already up to the men's semi-finals.

Comment

I'm late to this thread, but has anyone expressed any sympathy for Kaia Kanepi? Double- faulting on match point, blowing four other match points, ahead 5-2 in the third set ... and then losing? I'd have tossed all my racquets into the Thames.

Comment

The 12th point of the tie break in the 2nd set of Djokovic-Berdych is probably the greatest point ever played in men's tennis, if you get to see it later on. Especially as it was in effect two points in one, the first one replayed following a let after the umpire controversially declared that following a successful challenge on a line call Djokovic shouldn't just be awarded the point.

Comment

But the 20th point was a big let down.

There really was no controversy in the Umpires call of let. Berdych had stopped playing when he heard the line call but he could clearly played the ball if he had needed to, as shown from the bunt over his head that he flicked at given the rally was over. If the rally had been still going he would probably have tried to hit a forehand on the spin or a hotdog.
                Yes, Djokovic wins the point 99 times out of 100 from there, or even 999 out of 1000, but you cannot award the point unless it's absolutely certain he would have done.

Comment

What happens at Wimbledon in the other 50 weeks of the year? Can you just rock up and play some tennis?

Comment

It's a private club, so no, you cannot show up and play.
                    The members and invited guests can play, I think, but only the outside courts. Or they can play croquet on the croquet lawns.

Both the old and new No.1 has been used for Davis Cup occasionally. Plus the 2012 Olympics will be played there.

Comment

In the next three minutes, we either confirm Murray as the new Henman or the country goes bloody mental. If Murray wins this tie-break he'll go on to win the match, and Berdych takes on the role of poor Betty Stove.

Comment

Ah, for once I almost have to feel sorry for Murray there. What a time to suffer a net-cord like that.

Comment

Rogins Drift wrote:
                          In the next three minutes, we either confirm Murray as the new Henman or the country goes bloody mental.
                          By "the new Henman" I take it that you mean gallant loser. I've no doubt that this is the slightly sneering tone that most newspapers will take tomorrow and I have to say it pisses me off big time in this context.

The LTA are the wealthiest national federation in world tennis and can't produce any meaningful production line of young talent. They have over the years funded a swathe of poorly committed and grossly underachieving individuals in a life on the Satelite and Challenger tours with little or no return in terms of professional success or raising the profile of the game.

Yet it's the only two male players in recent history who have shown adequate appetite for their profession and have battled at the business end of Grand Slams who get it in the neck.

Comment

Nadal wins in a reasonably straightforward manner.

Went with serve all the way through all the sets, and Nadal breaks Berdych in the last game of every set.

Windy conditions didnt help, but it was pretty good.

Comment

Sue Barker giggling like a schoolgirl about Rafa biting the trophy.

"It's his thing, he's such an individual!"

Good job his "thing" isn't dropping his shorts and pissing into it.

Comment

Berdych could play Nadal for days on end and wouldn't take a set off him (given that it's now 17 sets in a row, it may already be nearing 24 hours). It's just a horrible match-up from Berdych's point of view. He is a power-based baseline biffer, with movement issues. A player like Nadal who gets everything back must be an absolute nightmare. I wonder what the Murray-Berdych head-to-head is like? I'm guessing similarly one-sided.

Comment

Working...
                                X