John Wooden

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

John Wooden

I knew this day would come, but it doesn't make it any easier. Coach Wooden has passed away.

Earlier today someone came up with the idea of going to the hospital to do an 8-clap at 8pm, when we were hearing he was recovering. I'm still going to go, just wish it wasn't a memorial.

John Wooden

The guy was pure class. Unparalled in college basketball and a great individual. Never really felt he'd ever die - RIP Coach Wooden.

Comment

John Wooden

My photos from the memorial, which was really a celebration of Coach and what he meant to UCLA:
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/evang/sets/72157624081887203/

It was great to see so many students paying their respects.

Comment

John Wooden

Vin Scully:

Comment

John Wooden

Nothing to say other than I'm sorry, and at least he got to see that '95 team - of which I still reckon to be the Barcelona '06/'09 (or whatever fanciest, highest-flying, most entertaining team you want to fill in that blank) champion of the past few decades.

The only bad part is dumb coaches all over the world, no matter the sport, say "Coach Wooden said that he never adjusted to teams, and teams had to adjust to him." Yeah, bozo, Coach Wooden also had Kareem Abdul Jabbar and Bill Walton, and you have Chris Dudley and Sam Bowie.

Comment

John Wooden

It's striking how different the coverage of Wooden's death is from other recently deceased all-time great coaches. Whereas people like Red Auerbach and Bill Walsh were celebrated as great pioneers who essentially created the games we watched today, Wooden is being hailed as the last of an era. With his goofy pyramid, the ban on dunking, his teaching kids to go glass, it's hard to see Wooden at all in today's game.

Comment

John Wooden

Spamming is bad enough, but spamming in a thread posted to honour somebody who has died and will be sadly missed by many is just revolting.
              Any chance of the Admins wiping this trash?

Comment

John Wooden

Apparently not.

But, erm, welcome, a4722784. Or fuck off, one or the other.

Comment

John Wooden

Thankfully I didn't see that.

SocScrim, that's an interesting point.

ESPN Classic this weekend showed a lot of Wooden stuff and some old UCLA games (it only ever seemed to be the 1975 championship game when I checked in, though). One of the things everyone said about Wooden while he was alive, and after his death, was that his main concern wasn't that his teams won, but that they played the best they could. Watching the clips, though, you see that Wooden complained about calls and was as intense as any coach. I think the saintly image that everyone projected onto him doesn't paint a full picture of who he was.

Comment

John Wooden

Well, it's the way you complain about calls. There's a world of difference between Bob Knight and say, Louis Carnececca or Pete Carril.

Comment

Working...
                    X