World T20

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

World T20

Fancy a fantasy team? I'm doing this one. Don't think you can have official mini-leagues, but sure we can work it out for ourselves.

World T20

Haven't we just had a fantasy Twenty20? In India?

Comment

World T20

No, I'm pretty sure that was real.

Comment

World T20

Just checked out cricinfo.com, Chris Gayle is wearing one of the most horrific jerseys I have ever seen, if that's the new Windies odi kit then I am done with cricket...

Does anyone in the new york tri state area know of a bar that might be showing the tournament?

My money's on SA by the way, plenty of their guys played well in the IPL, might be their time to shine...

Comment

World T20

Oh dear.

I am hoping/praying that is T20 and this tournament specific (or even a training top).

There is a bar on Amsterdam Avenue in the 80s that has been known to show cricket on occasion, but I'm afraid I can't remember its name (though it might be George Keeley's). There's also this Australian expat hangout in Midtown and this West Indian place in Queens Village. I'd call ahead to make sure that they are showing what you want to see. Cricket is only available here on satellite subscriptions, and most sports bars (including those that show lots of football) don't shell out the extra money.

Comment

World T20

That is dreadful. Are they trying to incorporate the national colours of every Caribbean island?

Comment

World T20

It doesn't even do that (no yellow (Barbados, Jamaica, Guyana), red (Trinidad, Guyana) or black (Jamaica, Trinidad)).

The colours seem to be taken from the badge (though all of the colours have been turned up several notches), with a derisory splash of the traditional maroon.

Comment

World T20

Zimbabwe beat Australia in a warm-up, mainly thanks to 70 off 30 balls from Chigumbura and Michael Clarke scoring 40* at no better than a run a ball.

Elsewhere Pakistan and Bangladesh win against the Windwards and Barbados and NZ beat Ireland comfortably but not overwhelmingly.

Comment

World T20

Thanks ursus much appreciated, will check out those places you mentioned...seems weird that certain people in the cricket scene are obsessed with bringing t20 to the usa (they barely like football/soccer, why bother?), yet you can only watch it on ppv and it costs a fortune.

The usa national teams slogan is "When the boys are playing baseball, the men are playing cricket", funny but doubt many yanks would be down, borderline treason to some...

Comment

World T20

My pleasure. I'll let you know if I hear anything more definitive.

Ursus minor is still trying to decide if his putative cricketing career lies in the US or Slovenija. It's a difficult sport to practice in Manhattan.

BTW, depending on where you are, other possibilities are the cricket clubs in and around Philadelphia or cities like Edison in New Jersey that have significant Indian communities.

Comment

World T20

Aren't there many cricket leagues in the New York area- there must be a large expat following for the game?

PS Tangent question for the family Ursus- are the Slovenes likely to have their new stadium in Ljubljana ready in time for Ultonia's return visit in September?

Comment

World T20

My preview.

Comment

World T20

Yeah new york does appear to have a healthy amount of cricket leagues, ironically probably easier to find a game in ny than london...I'm pretty sure the whole usa team are from jamaica, guyana and trinidad, they make the current england team look legit.

Philadelphia does seem to be the home of cricket in the us. Kind of ironic that the founding fathers' favourite sport came from the motherland, pretty much all my us friends refuse to believe they were down with cricket. I heard from a reliable source that the word "president" (as opposed to prime minister, emperor etc) was chosen as the title for head of state due to cricket clubs.

Comment

World T20

There are a couple of NY leagues, but the game tends to be Balkanized along ethnic lines, and nearly all of the venues are about as far from the centre as one can get. From what I've been able to tell so far, adult participation is very West Indian-centric (as Wizard's comment on the national team indicates), while younger players tend to be recent immigrants for the subcontinent.

There is actually an official New York City High School cricket competition that features about 20 teams, but the squads are almost exclusively recent immigrants from the subcontinent.

Dunc, I'm afraid that I have no idea about the new stadium in Ljubljana. Maribor has taken on an even more mythical gleam for the national team after the playoff win against Russia, and club football in Ljubljana continues to be a bit of a mess.

Comment

World T20

I see Afghanistan won again, Ireland this time.

http://www.cricinfo.com/world-twenty20-2010/content/current/story/457733.html

How good could this team be if they were given a fair chance?

The Black Craps somehow managed to beat the West Indies as well. I generally disapprove of Twenty20 as Not Proper Cricket, but I may try and stay awake for this. The Afghani games anyway.

Comment

World T20

"How good could this team be if they were given a fair chance?"

How are they being denied a fair chance? The war has actually helped Afghan cricket (if no other aspect of society) as much of the development has come from playing as refugees in Pakistan. The good thing is that their success seems to have sparked a cricket boom within Afghanistan.

The "Black Craps" reached the semi-final last time round, no reason why they can't do as well, if not better this time round. Main concern for them seems to be Vettori is not in good form.

Comment

World T20

Etienne wrote:
                                  "How good could this team be if they were given a fair chance?"

How are they being denied a fair chance? The war has actually helped Afghan cricket (if no other aspect of society) as much of the development has come from playing as refugees in Pakistan. The good thing is that their success seems to have sparked a cricket boom within Afghanistan.

The "Black Craps" reached the semi-final last time round, no reason why they can't do as well, if not better this time round. Main concern for them seems to be Vettori is not in good form.
                                  According to this bloke in The Grauniad, they're struggling to look for boots for their players. http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2010/apr/27/the-spin-afghanistan-cricket

Surely the Welsh and English Cricket Board have enough money to be able to supply teams like Afghanistan with basic equipment? Basically, I hope they don't end up like the Romanian rugby team in the 1980s, ending up with no regular fixtures.

(Sorry if I came across as a bit of an arse. 'Twas not intentional)

Comment

World T20

Oh yeah, I agree that if the ICC wants to spread the game globally then they should try and ensure that associate countries are properly equipped, and that they don't lose promising players to richer countries - as well as Morgan and Joyce, the Netherlands could well lose Ryan ten Doeschate if England want him - they have less complaint at losing Dirk Nannes who only played for them because Australia didn't pick him for years.

Hopefully some of the colossal revenue the BCCI (which dwarfs the ECB revenues) have generated could be redirected.

Comment

World T20

Windies really threw that game away; their last ten wickets went for 49, and Scott Styris, of all people, took 4 for 18.

The weather is looking a bit dodgy, which could cause havoc given the tight schedule.

Comment

World T20

Not been able to find any pics, but are there any afghani fans at the warm-up games? Highly doubt many people from that region could make it to the west indies, but there could be a few ex-pats stateside making the trip.

Kind of irrelevant, but has anyone seen the "Afghani Idol" HBO film? Fascinating song themes, but seemed like it gave the country a much needed moral boost, maybe the cricket team could do something similar. The game against india looks interesting, as much as I rate the india team could be a throwback to the '88 FA cup...

Comment

World T20

I'm afraid that they might be starstruck, Wizard.

Opener Karim Sadiq’s mates call him ‘Kabul ka Sehwag’ for his big hitting, and it is obvious who Sadiq’s cricketing hero is. “In January 2004, the Afghanistan Under-19 team toured India, and in a game at Mohali I scored a century, hitting six sixes. The Indian boys started calling me ‘Kabul ka Sehwag’, and the name stuck,” he grins. “I have videos of all Sehwag’s knocks in my laptop.”

Sadiq is disappointed he won’t meet his idol in the Caribbean — the Indian star having had to drop out due to injury. “I had planned to ask him for an autographed T-shirt. I have heard Gautam (Gambhir) is his close friend, maybe I will ask him to arrange a meeting with Sehwag,” he says.
                                          The Afghanis I've met here are all too hard-working (and poor) to make it to St. Lucia for a cricket match, and I would guess that the real Afghani support will once again be internet-based. Hamid Hasan's blog on Cricinfo is one gathering place for Anglophones.

Comment

World T20

I take it there won't be any highlights on terristrial TV this year? I greatly enjoyed the BBC coverage last year.

Comment

World T20

Zimbabwe follow up their victory over Australia by beating Pakistan as well. New tournament favourites?

Comment

World T20

Yeah am excited about how zim will perform this tournament...in a weird way the 2003 black armband fiasco might have helped them somehow. If Mugabe was more like Mandela than Idi Amin and life was cool-ish in Zim (which it was 10-15 years ago, let's not forget) then this current squad would be playing now anyhow...by throwing the under-23 team right in at the deep end in 2007 it's given the young dudes plenty of experience for the big occasion. Let's see what happens, they did beat a good oz side with this team in sa not so long ago...

Comment

World T20

IPL form is carrying on so far for SL, Dilshan with a painful 3 from 19, Sangakkara failed, Jayawardene carrying the batting.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X