No thread on the NBA Playoffs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well then. Great start for my Celtics. Garnett is going to take a rest in game 2 in order to be fit for the matchup with Cleveland.

Any chance for an early Lakers exit? What do you reckon?

Comment

Thanks for saving me from a nil-thread.

Anyways, it's going to take longer to dump Miami than I thought, mostly because there are so many days between matches. LA is going to get through, but Dirk's Mavericks look bleak all of a sudden, and San Antonio may turn out to become the Celtics of the West. All hail to Phoenix though. I love Steve Nash. Love him.

Comment

Half-watching Cleveland v Chicago. Arent the Bulls supposed to be shite, and the Cav's super-dooper?

Its a good game, so far (Cleveland up 3-1 in games).

Oh, Shaquille plays for the Cavs... or just stands up front and stops others counteracting others... there is a skill in this, which I am really missing.

There was a player for the Utah Jazz... Stockton? I loved him. He looked about 5' 8 and he made that team look good. (My mate had a weird affection about Utah, until we bought him a b-ball, and told him about Salt Lake City, and mormons, and Roseanne... now he loves them unequivocably)

Comment

(Watching too much ESPN...) There is a face-up/off with Kobe and Lakers (who are better than just one guy, apparently) against someone called the Okie Thunder (assuming this means Oklahoma City... when did this happen?), and an upcoming star... ah, commentator just said it is Kevin Durrant? Big bloke, semi-cast on his arm?

Anyway, who's going to win that one?

And Kevin Wilbon gets pissed about the many rest days between games... is this normal or just TV (the gaps, not Wilbon)?

Comment

Cleveland beginning to stroll this one.

Comment

Lakers still don't look convincing. Two fourth-quarter scares against the Jazz, and the Jazz are always hard to play against in Utah.

Comment

Again, as we've seen the past two years, champions these days simply have to pace themselves.

Gero - Oklahoma City was stolen from Seattle. This guy from Okie from Musgokie signed a paper when he bought the SuperSonics that he would never move them. He bought the team, didn't get a new arena (after Seattle spent millions refurbishing the Key Arena a few years ago,) and moved them.

Luckily, Seattle got promised a new expansion team with the name and full historical records if the NBA ever expands. Like a Cleveland Browns/Baltimore Ravens kind of deal.

Comment

Zirin:

Anyone who believes that sports can't be an effective platform for social justice needed only to watch last night's game between Los Suns of Phoenix and the San Antonio Spurs. The unprecedented decision by the entire Suns organization -- from owner Robert Sarver to star players Amare Stoudamire and Steve Nash -- to wear uniforms blaring Los Suns and come out against Arizona's anti-immigrant Senate Bill 1070, created a sports broadcast like no other in my lifetime. The game on TNT began with sideline reporter Marty Snider outside the arena covering a mushrooming 3,000 person civil rights march, led by Al Sharpton and Phoenix mayor Phil Gordon (both wearing Los Suns Jerseys.) Then the scene switched to the pre-game studio with host Ernie Johnson and former players Kenny "the Jet" Smith, Chris Webber, and Charles Barkley. The viewing audience then got an unexpected and bracing lesson in dissent.

Kenny Smith, like any good point guard, set up the others by saying, "I think it's great that the team understands, the management understands and now the people of Phoenix are all rallying together at the same time." Barkley, a long time Arizona resident and a man who once said that he was a Republican until "the Republicans lost their damn minds" chimed in saying, "The only people screwing it up are the politicians. The Governor -- the interim governor I might add -- J.D. Hayworth and John McCain. They're the ones screwing this thing up. I really take my hat off to Robert Sarver and the Suns for taking a stand. You know, living in Arizona for a long time, the Hispanic community, they're like the fabric of the cloth. They're part of our community and any time you try to do any type of racial profiling or racial discrimination... President Obama you've got to do something because these lightweight politicians in Arizona have no idea what they are doing."

The typically blunt Barkley speaking in such terms is hardly surprising. But it was Chris Webber who upped the ante, interrupting a visibly uncomfortable Ernie Johnson with, "Public Enemy said it a long time ago. 'By the Time I Get to Arizona.' I'm not surprised. They didn't even want there to be a Martin Luther King day when John McCain was in [office]. So if you follow history you know that this is part of Arizona politics."

It was a remarkable display and it was difficult to not think of the millions of television viewers around the country, in sports bars, restaurants, and house parties, being confronted with this kind of forthright, plainspoken language.
                  Zirin also makes the point that if the Suns had lost, which it looked like was likely early on, everyone in the sports media would be saying that sports and politics don't mix, and that the Suns were distracted by the SB 1070 issue. Instead, they won playing Spurs ball, one of the most uncharacteristic Suns games you'll ever see. He also mentioned Phil Jackson's surprising comments about the Los Suns uniforms, and his seeming support for the Arizona bill. You don't know how disappointed and confused I am by Jackson.

Should the Lakers beat the Jazz, and meet the Suns in the WCF, I of course will be rooting for the Lakers with all my heart. But should they lose to the Suns, I'd have no problem cheering the Suns on. Steve Nash and Grant Hill deserve a trophy. I don't want to see Nash become one of the "yeah, but he never won it all" examples.

Comment

Forget Nash. This Spurs-Suns series is just plain DRAGIC.

Los Sols Siempre.

Comment

You feel that, Utah? That's karma biting you in the ass. You tackle Fisher and get away with it? You blow a tip-in at the buzzer.

Comment

It's just time to get on with Nash v LaLakers in a conference final for once.

Comment

And it's set.

Three sweeps in the conference semifinals. Has that ever happened before?

Comment

Yes, viva los Suns and all that.

From this weekend on LeBron will be able to concentrate on his negotiations with the Knicks.

Comment

I must give credit to the Celtics. I thought they were set for an early exit in the playoffs this season, the first act in the decline of the Big 3. But man, Rondo...he's playing on a whole different level right now. The Cavs aren't good enough to take nights off in the playoffs and turn it on when they feel like it.

Comment

Kurt Mondschein wrote:
                                Yes, viva los Suns and all that.

From this weekend on LeBron will be able to concentrate on his negotiations with the Knicks.
                                LeBron would have to be completely batshit crazy or deluded to the factor of 10^bajillion to choose to join the Knicks.

Comment

Well, David Lee is better than just about any teammate he has now. Plus, the Knicks have enough room to sign two max free agents. LeBron + Bosh or Amar'e is the dream combo. Chicago I think makes sense, if they can get a good coach lined up. LeBron and Derrick Rose--that's a scary combination. You know that deep down inside, Joakim Noah secretly loves LeBron. Miami still needs to resign Wade, and he's the heart and soul of the team...I don't know if LeBron can handle not being the alpha and omega of any team he's on.

One thing's for sure--he sure as hell can't stay in Cleveland. What do they have to offer him that other teams don't, besides familiarity and the love of the fans? He'll never win anything there. Last night was just an embrrassment. Classy comments from him after the game: ""I spoil a lot of people with my play. When you have a bad game here or there, you've had three bad games in a seven-year career, then it's easy to point that out." What a dick.

If the Cavs do lose, I'm going to laugh my ass off at Shaq.

Comment

Yes, ass-tasting will become the NBA version of winning the battle, and not the war.

I feel bad for my potential cousin Z Ilgauskas, and those poor bastard fans, but let's get real. How lame is it that LeBron be in a Fish That Saved Pittsburgh situation ? Anyone could see last year that the Magic was going to paste them, and are still going to paste them even if they lost Turkoglu, and will still paste them for the next decade.

That said, maybe we'll get a classic like 07's LeBron V Pierce in Game 6, but another 40 point bombing will be the finest in hilarity.

Comment

LeBron's home court:

Comment

jason voorhees wrote:
                                        YI feel bad for my potential cousin Z Ilgauskas
                                        It's uncanny.

With 2 minutes left in the first, LeBron isn't sleepwalking again, but still not doing very well.

Comment

Comment

So, that's that. LeBron with a great pass at 1:30 left--too bad it was to Rasheed. Then the Cavs basically rolled over and didn't foul at all. Sure, down 9, but Rondo missed two in a row earlier, and they could have fouled him. It was like the entire team, including Mike Brown, followed LeBron and just decided to give up. It was really disappointing to watch. People talk about this being too early to talk about LeBron's legacy, but really--this is his seventh year in the NBA. In Jordan's seventh season, he won his first title and was the Finals MVP. Magic: 3 titles, 2x Finals MVP. Bird: 3 titles, 3x Finals MVP.

Chad Ford says he heard from 3 GMs right after the end of the game that all said that LeBron would go to the Bulls.

Lost in all the LeBron madness is the very strong possibility that Shaq has played his last game. If so, he's gone out completely out of the spotlight.

Comment

Thankfully my cat accidently pushed page 2, otherwise I'd still be looking at the Pittsburgh Peicies court like it was a Magic Eye print.

Did I tell you the story with Z ? My great-grandfather was from Darsoniskis, which is 6 km from Kaunas. He had 13 kids with one wife, and when she dropped dead he had 13 with the next. Ilgauskas is from Kaunas.

Here's hoping for a 1976 rematch betwixt Los Suns and the Celts, complete with Ref Jumping.

Comment

The Old Patrol does it again. I didn't know that the Magic had Vince Carter, or the Celts had Rasheed. What are you going to tell me next ? Ron Artest is on the Lakers ?

Comment

Yep, they got Vinsanity last off-season and let Hedo Turkoglu go to Toronto. They seemed like bad moves at the time, but it's worked out really well for Orlando.

Boston-Orlando could be a really long series. I see it going 6 games at least. I think it will be Magic in 7. Lakers are banged up, even after the long break--Kobe had to have fluid drained from his right knee, which was swelling. I say Lakers in 6.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X