The 2010 county cricket thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Roll up, roll up, unwrap those sandwiches, shiver in deserted stands with seven other blokes over 70 reading the Telegraph, vaguely reqcquaint yourselves with flashy batsmen who played three ODIs for England half a decade ago, laugh at Surrey, tut at pink balls and floodlights, be lightly patronised in State Of The Cricket Nation Post-IPL think pieces ... and air your thoughts here.

How do people see this season? Everyone thinks Durham are a shoe-in for another title. They possibly are, seeing as it's not easy to identify obvious strengthening among their challengers, though Hashim Amla's not a bad coup for Notts for the early part of the season.

I don't think Essex have much chance of staying up, given their unforeseen promotion last year and lack of bowling depth. A year to reassert one-day credentials this, I suspect.

And we really should do a CountyCrick-athon at some point.

Middlesex have somehow managed to assemble probably the second best 20/20 batting line up anywhere in world cricket (behind the Delhi Daredevils) so I think they might have a chance there.

Durham do look very very strong, but maybe a couple of injuries might hurt them.

Glamorgan will be rubbish again, though I think Tait will do some damage in the 20/20.

Comment

Ive still not forgiven Durham for parading the trophy at Syd James's Park. Fuck you Graveney. C'mon everybody else.

Comment

Somerset? Probably not.

It would be funny if Surrey managed not to be promoted.

Comment

It's far from impossible, particularly if Ramprakash gets injured.

Losing Langer and (for much of the season) Kieswetter will make it tough for Somerset.

Comment

This would normally be the point where i demonstrate the usual Yorkshire trait of talking on such matters with a sense of authority.

But, if truth be telt, the White Rose will have yet another year of struggling to avoid the drop, mainly due to the fact we really don't have any depth in the bowling.

Comment

Etienne wrote:
              It's far from impossible, particularly if Ramprakash gets injured.

Losing Langer and (for much of the season) Kieswetter will make it tough for Somerset.
              And Caddick.

Comment

Caddick didn't play much last season did he?

There's a full list of arrival and departures on the BBC site.

The tightening up of the Kolpak rules has really hit Northants (Leics too but they've found some replacements) while Worcestershire have been gutted.

Prediction:
                Div 1:
                Durham
                Notts
                Hants
                Warks
                Kent
                Lancs
                Somerset
                Yorks
                Essex

Div 2:
                Sussex
                Middlesex
                Surrey
                Leics
                Glamorgan
                Gloucs
                Derby
                Worcs
                Northants

Pro 40: Durham
                T20: Middlesex or Notts or Somerset.

Comment

Just checked and Caddick played 5 first class matches last season, taking 10 wickets at 52.

Glamorgan have finally released Ryan Watkins. It's not nice to celebrate someone losing their livelihood, but dear god another season of his career batting average of 19 and bowling average of 49 would have killed me. Not so much a "bits and pieces" player as an "in pieces" one.

Comment

Div 1: Durham again. Essex & Yorkshire relegated.
                    Div 2: Sussex. Anyone else but Surrey to get promoted hopefully.

Pro 40: Anyone of about 12.

T20: Clubs to fork out a lot of money they haven't got for 4 week mercenaries then spend the winter moaning about how skint they are.

My Club: Will do a bit better than some expect. Batting looks ok for Div 2 but the bowling is pretty thin. Some encouraging performances at the fag end of last season by youngsters give a bit of optimism so mid table. Davies is the big loss but Jacques should get a barrow load of runs before Shakib replaces him around July. Transitional year.

Weather looks good for such an early start.

Comment

manandvans, will you actually have a keeper if the one you've loaned from Middlesex has to be recalled?

Comment

No, or he could get injured of course. Not sure if there's a contingency plan for that either. Most people thought we would have got Adshead back after Gloucs released him but that never came to pass.

Comment

Oh, and we haven't got a spinner till July either. Apart from that it's hunky dory.

Comment

Good first day for Yorkshire, not so good for Surrey and Sussex's attempts to return to the top division.

And iffy dealings in E10's manor.

Comment

I was at Worcester from lunchtime. Excellent contest in front of a decent crowd. Steve Finn bowled a very good spell just before tea albeit on a greenish wicket.

For all the signings Surrey have made their bowling attack looks pretty mediocre on paper.

Comment

Georgeous George wrote:
                                This would normally be the point where i demonstrate the usual Yorkshire trait of talking on such matters with a sense of authority.

But, if truth be telt, the White Rose will have yet another year of struggling to avoid the drop, mainly due to the fact we really don't have any depth in the bowling.
                                Especially now it's only 3 points for the draw.

Comment

E10 Rifle wrote:

And we really should do a CountyCrick-athon at some point.
                                  Indeed, yes. Trawl the fixture lists and get it sorted [But nowhere south of London, if you would be so good!]

What are you suggesting? County Championship, one-dayer, or CHUKKit/SLOGGit?

Comment

"everyone is concerned about the potential loss of revenue involved."

Thin end of the fucking wedge.

Comment

I don't know what makes anyone think we (Surrey) could even get close. Of our four seamers in this week's game, three average over 38 with the ball. To a man, the young players are useless and we'll have to be carried by Ramps, Davies, Batty and Nel all year. We're fucking pitiful.

Comment

SSK, of course you are. But so are most of the other teams in division 2.

Comment

manandvans wrote:
                                          [quote]Div 1:

T20: Clubs to fork out a lot of money they haven't got for 4 week mercenaries then spend the winter moaning about how skint they are.

I see Sussex (my lot) have signed Brendon McCullum as one of their overseas players for the T20, which would seem to fit in with mandavans quote.

I was listening to the secretary, I think it was, at Sussex last season state that in purely monetary terms doing well in the T20 especially but also the one dayers was the most important thing. So, he felt Sussex had had a successful season last season despite relegation to Div 2. I was very put out by this reasoning.

Panesar had a decent start it seems though Goodwin bat and the always strangely underrated Robin Martin Jenkins with bat and ball the heroes. Well and Chris Nash's four for at the end to wrap up the Glamorgan tail. Good start.

Lovely to have the county cricket back, even though I am in exile.

Comment

A glorious start for Yorkshire. Let's not bother with any of those nasty batting points...

Comment

I'd be up for a county cricket-thon.

Comment

Unless he's injured and I missed the news of it, Glamorgan appear to have dropped Robert Croft. It's the end of an era.

Comment

Gloucester dismissed for 86 as 23 wickets fall on day one.

Her Majesty's Inspector of Pitches must be on his way there. No doubt the pitch will sense this and behave tmrw.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X