NCAA B-ball 08-09: the Pete Newell memorial thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What a game. I'm glad I recorded that sobi could finish watching after dinner.

I told you--Villanova gives me that feeling, like they're a team of destiny.

Comment

Meanwhile, yesterday also had the best shot of the college basketball season so far--in the Division II championship game between Findlay and Cal Poly Pomona. Findlay won on an amazing fade-away 3-pointer at the buzzer, capping a perfect season of 36-0.

Comment

So UCon-Michigan St, and Nova-UNC.

Hopefully the Nova-UNC game will be as good as their Elite Eight tussle in '05, and UConn-MSU should have one team blowing out the other just as this has happened all tournament.

I can't remember so many blowouts in one tournament like this one.

Comment

UConn sucks, yo.

The Times Picayune in New Orleans compared Michigan's economic state to Hurricane Katrina, and compared Michigan State to the Saints playing the Falcons in that Monday Night Game in '06.

I don't see it, but UConn certainly has some sort of Motown whammy placed on them tonight.

Comment

So that's it.

Michigan St on Michigan's 20th anniversary win over Seton Hall.

Go Nova.

Comment

I wanted Villanova to win (fuck North Carolina schools with the exception of NC State), but I do find it amusing that the Big East, the Greatest Conference in College Basketball History (TM) does not have one single team in the final.

Comment

Yeah, but that battle-tested© sword can swing both ways. That game against Pitt was one of the hardest-contested around, and then they have to get up all over again for UNC (who's still in second gear all tournament.)

2 teams in the Final Four and 4 in the Elite Eight is certainly an astonishing accomplishment. That's why UCLA's 3-straight really was incredible (despite my chop-busting,) and to win the Final is one of the most difficult job in sports. (I mean all Memphis had to do was hit 1 out of 8 free throws.)

Plus, for UConn to lose in a packed football stadium mostly full of MSU supporters is not anything to be ashamed of.

I hope the crowd blows the glass out of that stadium on Monday.

Comment

I'm really pulling for MSU tonight, but I'm fearing a UNC blowout like when they played earlier.

That's why UCLA's 3-straight really was incredible (despite my chop-busting,)
                  Aw, thanks.

And I'm not diminishing the Big East accomplishment. I just get delight from it not being a Big East extravaganza in the final.

Meanwhile, this has reminded me that Michigan State has quietly been one of the top programs this decade, if not the best. Here's the blog the Big Lead's picks for the top 10 programs this decade (posted before the weekend's games):

1. Michigan State - 10-10 tourney trips, 6 Sweet 16s, 4 Final Fours, 1 title
                  2. Kansas - 10-10 tourney trips, 7 Sweet 16s, 3 Final Fours, 1 title
                  3. North Carolina - 8-10 tourney trips, 5 Sweet 16s, 4 Final Fours, 1 title
                  4. Connecticut - 8-10 tourney trips, 5 Sweet 16s, 2 Final Fours, 1 title,
                  5. Florida - 8-10 tourney trips, 4 Sweet 16s, 3 Final Fours, 2 titles
                  6. Duke - 10-10 tourney trips, 7 Sweet 16s, 2 Final Fours, 1 title
                  7. UCLA - 8-10 tourney trips, 6 Sweet 16s, 3 Final Fours, 0 titles
                  8. Arizona - 10-10 tourney trips, 5 Sweet 16s, 1 Final Four, 0 titles
                  9. Texas - 10-10 tourney trips, 5 Sweet 16s, 1 Final Four, 0 titles
                  10. Maryland - 7-10 tourney trips, 3 Sweet 16s, 2 Final Fours, 1 title

I know they have more titles than anyone else (as of yet), but I think they ranked Florida correctly.

Comment

I can't see anyway that it's going to be a blowout. I mean how do you blow a team out in a game like this (The Final, not a game in December) in a stadium like this (UNC getting outnumbered by 60,000 fans; imagine the first 3 that MSU hits or the first dribble drive that their guard makes or the first run that MSU goes on,) in a hype like this (MSU as Saviors of Michigan ?)

Of course there's the pressure of all of that, but Izzo and that crew doesn't seem to be phased by it. As far as a mid-season blowout, I'd be more worried if it was actually a close game in December, like the Fab Five taking Puke to the limit in their regular season game, then ultimately getting blown out in the Final. In this case, "we're only up by 8 instead of 16" can hurt UNC.

Who knows. The bottom line is it'll fun to see the plight of Michigan on the line today. Either they succeed against all odds, or go crashing like GM or Chrysler.

Comment

I don't agree about Florida. The question is obviously how much you weigh each accomplishment. Winning two titles is certainly MAJOR, in addition to making it to an additional Final Four. I'd certainly have to put them at #1 or #2.

Comment

I don't doubt that it's MAJOR, but in a way it's so MAJOR that it's kind of an anomaly, you know? I think the true test of a program is in how well they do with completely different classes, and how they cope with all new players coming in.

Comment

I'd agree with that. In that sense of "program."

I was thinking more in terms of power points, and we all know where that got us in college football.

Comment

Well, now I can see a way it will be a blowout. The same way they did it to Villanova: First Round KO. Don't let the fans into it.

Oh well.

It's scary when Obama outpicks you as well.

Comment

Working...
                            X