March Madness 2010

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

March Madness 2010

I can't find any old photos of New Mexico basketball on SI's vault.

Comment

March Madness 2010

I can't find one anywhere of the uniforms in question, but I can offer TEV this comprehensive history of Marquette unis.

Comment

March Madness 2010

Great work, men!

Comment

March Madness 2010

K-State 101 Xavier 96 Double OT

Best game of the tournament by far. Bombs away!

GOOOOOOO WILDCATS!

Comment

March Madness 2010

Love the Iranian kid, but I'm not sure if "Ali Kaboom" is the right nickname.

The best part of the best players leaving for the NBA has been the skinny geek three-point shooters (Stephen Curry, Ali Farokmanesh) or quick runners (George Mason) being able to go far in the tournament.

While I've still not gotten over the good ol' days of 1986-1993 as far as player quality goes, it's a trade I'll take.

Comment

March Madness 2010

K-State no match for the tough defense of Butler.

Calipari v. Huggins - battle of two serious scumbgag coaches.
              Eat shit Mitch McConnell and Jim Bunning - WVU outlasts them.

Comment

March Madness 2010

From the Onion:

Comment

March Madness 2010

A suit and tie with basketball shoes.

Comment

March Madness 2010

Helluva game -- Butler half-court shot damned near went in. Duke did what they had to do to win.

Will there be another Butler in the final if (when!) they go to 96 teams?

Comment

March Madness 2010

Fucking Puke.

Comment

March Madness 2010

Agreed -- it didn't seem that Butler had a chance in the second half, but they'll be having nightmares that they didn't get a better shot off during that last possession.

Comment

March Madness 2010

So sad for that Butler guy getting so close. Missing by a mile would help his sleep for years.

Comment

March Madness 2010

I don't care about basketball and didn't see a single second of this tournament, and yet I still find this result disheartening.

Comment

March Madness 2010

Did you perhaps have a premonition of this?

Comment

March Madness 2010

Yeah, that's not great, is it? It doesn't make much sense or fit in with the Tribe name, but of the five choices released to the public, that was the second or third best. The best would have been big-head King William and big-head Queen Mary. The other ok one would have been the Phoenix. There's a phoenix monument thingy in the middle of campus commemorating the school's revival in the early 20th century (things had turned a bit shitty during the civil war). The other two choices were the pug (apparently Mary liked pugs) or the Wren (named after our Christopher Wren building, get it?)

Comment

March Madness 2010

Yes, it's poor.

Obviously W&M has essentially nothing to do with griffins, but even if they decided to go with the griffin, they could have done better than a guy with no trousers on his way to an Philadelphia Eagles mascot contest (where he would fail to place).

Not that I'm one to rag on other's mascots, of course:

Comment

March Madness 2010

There are some strained explanations for the griffen - that it's a combination of the lion and the eagle, just as W&M is American (eagle), but founded by British royals (the lion). And the griffen is an ancient symbol of royalty or nobility or something like that.

But that's certainly not obvious - or particularly interesting - on its face, especially since the name is still the tribe.

All of this because the NCAA deemed this horribly offensive and hurtful to native Americans, even though all the existing native groups in Virginia said they liked it:

So we switched to this:
                                    but still keep this:

Meanwhile, the NCAA has deemed all of this to be just fine and not offensive:

It's such bullshit. Pure political bullshit.

Comment

Working...
                                    X