March Madness 2010

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

March Madness 2010

...aka, the year I don't care who wins. Alright, that's not true: ANYONE BUT DUKE. But that's a given. UCLA will not be participating, and even by some freak occurrence we manage to win the Pac-10 tournament, I would be embarrassed to see the Bruins in the tournament--we've been that bad this year.

Anyway, I set up a Yahoo Tournament Pick 'Em group.

League ID: 43172
    Password: tblock20

March Madness 2010

When does it start ? I'm truly, truly out of it. I'm not sure if I could even name one player on any team in the country, except for that Chinese dude on Harvard. But then again, I don't know his name.

Comment

March Madness 2010

Is Marquette playing? And is there any chance of them appearing in these?

Comment

March Madness 2010

To answer your questions: this is CHAMPIONSHIP WEEK ( (c) ESPN), jv, how could you not know? How could you possibly sleep at night not knowing everything that happened in the BIG EAST TOURNAMENT, THE GREATEST CONFERENCE IN THE WORLD??? Selection for the big dance is Sunday; tournament starts next week.

TEV - Yes, Marquette will be in the tournament. They play Georgetown today in the previously mentioned BIG EAST TOURNAMENT, OH MY GOD I JUST CREAMED A LITTLE IN MY PANTS THINKING ABOUT THE BIG EAST.

Here in the Pac-10, UCLA somehow managed to get their shit together and beat Arizona in the conference tournament yesterday. Zona's nation-best tournament streak of 25 years. I say that UCLA, Arizona, North Carolina, and some other traditionally big school that won't make the tournament this year stage their own Shadow Final Four.

Projected number 1 seeds for the tournament are some combination of: Syracuse (losing hurt them, though), Kentucky, Puke, Kansas, West Virginia, possibly Purdue or Ohio State, and maybe New Mexico (29-3) with an outside shot.

I'll be rooting for New Mexico in the tournament.

Comment

March Madness 2010

Marquette are in the Big East?

The arena in which the Big East Tournament is being held ("The World's Most Famous Area (TM)") is roughly equidistant between my home and office, and I travel beneath it every day, but I really have no idea what is going on there.

It's wierd in a way, but my perception is that there is more buzz around town about Jose Reyes' hyperthyroidism.

Comment

March Madness 2010

So are Notre Dame, South Florida, Louisville, DePaul, and Cincinnati for basketball purposes. Which to me is no more bizarre than Boston College in the ACC. That still explodes my brain.

Comment

March Madness 2010

Urs - New York has that many Atletico fans?

Comment

March Madness 2010

W&M had their best season ever, but it wasn't good enough.

Comment

March Madness 2010

Incandenza wrote:
                  I seem to remember, back in the day, that New Mexico's basketball team played in t-shirts (instead of the sleeveless basketball variety) and vertically striped shorts.

Comment

March Madness 2010

You are correct.

Comment

March Madness 2010

Incandenza wrote:

Well allright!

Lobos got brought down to earth during the MWC tournament. They have a great deal of energy and heart, but luck will have to smile on them to get past the sweet sixteen.

NM Aggies are also in, but my dark horse and sympathetic team is Kansas State. My dad went to school there and it would be cool to see them make some noise while he can still enjoy it.

Any Jim Bunning fans out there??? Any team but KENTUCKY for me - just to churn that bastard's stomach.

Comment

March Madness 2010

I would normally be rooting for Kentucky (my grandmother was from Lexington), but I can't root for any team that has that slimeball for a coach. And Bunning is another good reason not to, I suppose.

My dad is from New Mexico, so that's why I'll be rooting for them, and I've had an interest for them going back to the old days. You have to like any team that places in a place called The Pit.

Comment

March Madness 2010

I forgot about scuzzball Calipari - that guy should be selling used cars and banned from coaching. Bunning, McConnell, and Calipari - good hate on Kentucky.

Comment

March Madness 2010

In time for the start of the tournament, Dave Zirin praises Ed O'Bannon's suit against the NCAA.

Comment

March Madness 2010

"Imagine if I started to market 'Angelina Jolie Ranchers'".
                              Ha-ha.

Comment

March Madness 2010

I love Calipari and Pitino, just because they bring back that ol' Jim Cornette/Bobby The Brain Heenan heel pro wrestler manager schtick to college b-ball. Calipari is always nice enough to lose in the end as well.

Comment

March Madness 2010

This Notre Dame-ODU game looks like it's going to go down to the wire. ND just hit a 3 to tie it up with about 1:45 left.

Comment

March Madness 2010

ODU up by 1 with 12 seconds left.

Comment

March Madness 2010

Dame goes down! They had a 3 right as time was running down go in and roll out.

Comment

March Madness 2010

Does Reed have a soft spot for ODU, given that it was originally a branch of W&M?

'Nova struggling with Robert Morris.

BTW, I've never heard anyone call ND "Dame" before.

Comment

March Madness 2010

A misguided attempt at alliteration.

That guy Robert Morris must be one good player. What? Oh, I see...

I picked ND, BYU, and Nova to win out of these first games. Looks like I might be going 0-3 for those picks...

Comment

March Madness 2010

"(Golden) Domers" has actually been used (though I always thought it was dumb).

Comment

March Madness 2010

BYU look quite comfortable, and 'Nova should win in OT.

Comment

March Madness 2010

Sad for that freshman at Robert Morris if they go out. He has been really impressive. I suppose (hope) he has another three years of the stage though.

Comment

March Madness 2010

ursus arctos wrote:
                                                  "(Golden) Domers" has actually been used (though I always thought it was dumb).
                                                  The USC mouthbreathers that think that former LAT sports editor Bill Dwyer is biased against them because he went to Notre Dame call him Domer Dwyre.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X