Wallabies, Springboks, Pumas .... Bears

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Found out, from of all places John Inverdale's column in the new and improved (well, free) Evening Standard, that Russia have qualified for the Rugby Union World Cup for the first time. They'll likely go into the pool with Australia, Ireland, Italy and the USA, and as such are heading for at least 2 100-point maulings next year, but apparently Russia's got big plans for the development of the game - and you can well imagine how that could take off. A couple of Valuevs in the front row, and a couple of sprinters in the threequarters ... what odds on Russia pushing for a "7 Nations" place by 2020, I wonder?

Russia will probably aim at the 7s game, given that it will be an Olympic sport from 2016. The women's team has already started picking athletes - the 2009 World cup 7s team was full of very fast women - they just didn't have the technique at that time. Emirates Airline has already (I think) dived in with sponsorship - it will be an interesting few years.

Comment

Georgia almost beat us at the World Cup, and a year later we won a Grand Slam. The gap is a lot narrower than you might think.

The Georgians do have a lot more France-based players, but Russia have far more players simpliciter, and much greater resources.

Actually, I can think of at least one Russian who really should have been a star by now. Vassily (Vasha) Artemiev was on the same Leinster Schools' Cup-winning side as Luke Fitzgerald, and if anything overshadowed him at that level. He was signed to a Leinster development contract, but a combination of injuries and inability to qualify for Ireland despite long-term residence have him playing universities rugby at the moment, as far as I know. If Russia are serious about this, the guiy has played and trained with the best, is only about 22, and has all the raw pace and skill in the world.

Comment

They've been bubbling under for a few years in proper rugby as well. A couple of teams have entered the Challenge Cup in recent years.

Comment

Working...
        X