England in Bangladesh 2010

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After a fairly straightforward win in the first ODI, England are on the ropes in Mirpur. Apparently England are the only test country never to have lost an ODI to Bangladesh. So far...

I'd like to see Bangladesh do well and am routing for them. I don't think it will happen though, they often choke when they get in a winning position and I fancy England to get over the line.

Comment

And that great Englishman, Eoin Morgan, saves England's blushes...

Comment

Yes, more Irishmen, less Saffers is clearly the way to go.

Comment

Fewer Saffers, not "less". Tsk.

Good point though - strange atmosphere, veering from manic frenzy to stone-cold silence. There didn't appear to be a single England fan in the stadium.

Comment

They all took Collingwood's word on the availability of golf courses . . .

Comment

I reject the fewer/less pedantry. I can see no useful function that the distinction serves nor any possible difficulties of comprehension.

Comment

Heard part of both innings. England should have won comfortably, but all bar Morgan panicked. Bangladesh batted well and were a bit unlucky with lbws apparently, but need to improve ground fielding.

Comment

Incidentally, has a century ever been less applauded by the watching crowd?

Comment

Probably Pietersen's on his debut tour of South Africa...
                    According to Cricinfo, Morgan is the first batsman to score ODI hundreds for two different countries. Has anyone done it in Tests, apart from Kepler Wessels?

Comment

I reject the fewer/less pedantry. I can see no useful function that the distinction serves nor any possible difficulties of comprehension
                      My Mrs would probably try to stab you if you kept it up.

Comment

I couldn't be fewer worried.

Comment

Seriously, I see no reason why there is an issue with using "less" in that context. The things that get me annoyed (people saying "disinterested" when they mean "uninterested" or "refute" when they mean "reject" or "respond to", then there is a difference of nuance, sometimes a significant one. I can see none in this instance.

As for the cricket, with England's likely seamers for the next match coming from Bresnan, Shahzad and Plunkett, the Desh might be worth a punt.

Comment

henry wrote:
                            Probably Pietersen's on his debut tour of South Africa...
                            At least there'd've been a few Barmy Army types around to make some noise.

Comment

According to Cricinfo, Morgan is the first batsman to score ODI hundreds for two different countries. Has anyone done it in Tests, apart from Kepler Wessels?
                              I think the answer to this is no. The Nawab of Pataudi's only century was for England.

Comment

There were a few players who represented England then South Africa in the early years, might be one there. A couple of players represented India pre-partition, then Pakistan but I think they were bowlers. [/hazy recollection]

Comment

England head to 3-0 win. Meanwhile Zimbabwe beat the Windies. Like to think indicative of a Zim renaissance rather than another backward step for the Windies.

Comment

Meanwhile Zimbabwe beat the Windies. Like to think indicative of a Zim renaissance rather than another backward step for the Windies.
                                    well yes, some sanity has been restored to Zim cricket with decent coaches and selectors, and a rational team selection led by a smart and astute captain.

The Windies though, Jeeze they just fell apart once Gayle got out, started batting like startled rabbits. There's still a lot of talent in and around Windies cricket, but the squad is full of serial under-achievers.

Something goes wrong between Under 19 level, where the Windies regularly win or place very well in World Cups, and full international level.

Comment

Bangladesh were at least competitive in the second game. Hopefully they can stick around in the test matches, a three day finish won't help anyone.

Hail Zim.

Comment

It's been a a good couple of days, with the two joke sides being competitive. Zim and Bang have played well too (ho!ho!)

Both Bang and Zim suffered by having never been in winning positions and not knowing what to do. Zim for instance handed the last over to a bowler with figures of 2-0-24-0 on debut. Amazingly, after conceding 11 from the first 3 balls, he took 2 for 2 in the last 3, to win by 2 runs. It's very noticeably a black team now, which is good to see, though Price bowled very well and Cremer took a brilliant catch.

I fancy Bang to get past 3 days in the tests.

Comment

Me too. I think they'll last two days in the first test, and two days in the second.

Comment

For want of a better thread to put this amusing Kiwi banter in:

(Clarke has flown home to help his fiancee through the upset of some topless pictures of her being published, his fiancee was the girl asking where the hell people were in an advert trying to get people to visit Oz, which most people here will probably have seen)

Comment

Bangladesh managed to clown up before a ball was bowled, putting in England on a shirtfront.

They've got 4 spinners, the most since Leicestershire in the 70s.

Comment

Good knowledge (on the "Leicestershire in the 70s" front).

This is going to be a tedious procession this, isn't it?

Comment

Thanks. Bangladesh forgot the vital part of the Illingworth plan though- have boundaries that you can't see without binoculars. And don't bring them in to put up "fookin' tents".

After one lovely straight drive by Pietersen, the commentator said "no need to move for that". A couple of inactive minutes later he had to clarify that he meant the batsman and not the fielders.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X