(field) Hockey around the globe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post

The Ireland v India game seemed of a much lower quality overall and far less enjoyable. Is it unfair to characterise the Irish as reliant on physicality and obdurate defence, Janik? They didn't seem to offer much else (not that they're obliged to, obviously)...
    Now they qualify for the the Olympics courtesy of a penalty shootout after two 0-0 draws!

Comment

I watch that and most of the GB Women (was out during the Men's match). The Ireland game was very tense stuff... and the GB ones weren't. 5-1 on aggregate to the Women after a 2-1 win today, though their coach will probably be irritated by failing to win be more after being 2-0 up inside ten minutes, and 9-3 to the Men who won 5-2 in the second game.

There are slicker teams than the Irish Women, but they are over-performing. They do have some decent forwards in their ranks, but it's certainly teamwork and an excellent 'keeper that is getting them to levels beyond previous expectations. Oh, and fierce self-belief. They were 3-1 down after the first six penalty shots today; it had to run save-score-save-score... and it did! And then both the scored first sudden death shot and the missed Canadian effort were referred... or would have been in the case of the Irish goal if there had been a stadium clock available to check against (Canada were claiming the 8 seconds had expired before the ball went in, which it may well have done). Then on the decisive miss the Irish 'keeper got away with a couple of gentle shoves in the back of the forward. It could easily have been another penalty stroke against.

Comment

I’m surprised Canada is that good at men’s field hockey.

Comment

Commonwealth country, innit. A number of South Asian surnames in the squad.

Comment

England are in another World Cup quarter-final! The Hockey World Cup has been going on in India, and we await the winners of a repechage match between Germany and France taking place today. The hosts are out, which must be a shame for them and (secretly, I expect) the organisers, beaten on penalties by New Zealand. Also already in the QFs are Australia and Spain, who meet each other, Belgium who meet the aforementioned Kiwis, and Holland who will face either South Korea or Argentina. It all culminates in the final on Sunday.

Comment

I watched most or all of each of Wales group games in this our debut Men's World Cup.

I did think India looked on shaky ground given our best result was against them (a 4-2 loss) after heavy defeats to England and Spain.

Comment

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post
                England are in another World Cup quarter-final! The Hockey World Cup has been going on in India, and we await the winners of a repechage match between Germany and France taking place today. The hosts are out, which must be a shame for them and (secretly, I expect) the organisers, beaten on penalties by New Zealand. Also already in the QFs are Australia and Spain, who meet each other, Belgium who meet the aforementioned Kiwis, and Holland who will face either South Korea or Argentina. It all culminates in the final on Sunday.
                England showed remarkable commitment to the bit by losing the QF on penalties to Germany having led 2-0 with three minutes remaining. Germany then beat Australia 4-3 in the semi, scoring the winner with five seconds left.

The other semi is just finishing now with a penalty shootout after Belgium and Netherlands played out a 2-2 draw. Belgium win it.

Wales won their first ever WC game, beating France on penalties after a 2-2 draw in their first classification game.
                Last edited by Ray de Galles; 27-01-2023, 15:48.

Comment

Working...
                X