No announcement yet.

(field) Hockey around the globe

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh, and England Hockey has delayed rule changes until 1st September before*, so they don't come mid-season here. That makes sense, and is presumably what they will do with these as well. The Hockey season in England runs September to April, so 1st January is a very bad time for alterations in the rules to happen.

* - I'm pretty convinced that a mate of mine was the first ever person in domestic play in England to score an own goal in Hockey. We had a friendly with a 10:00am start on 1st Sept of the year this experimental (and now abandoned) rule came in. At 10:02, he deflected it past his own goalie! I doubt, but can't prove, that anyone was swifter off the mark on that day.
    Last edited by Janik; 19-12-2018, 15:41.

Comment

Cheers Janik - blimey, so it was as complicated as it seemed when I read it. The amount that an amateur hockey official needs to keep an eye on almost makes football refereeing seem attractive.

Comment

Hockey has more rules than Football, but far fewer interpretations. There was a documentary repeated on BT Sport last night on Football referees, and one of them commented the 'Interpretations' section of the Football rule book is longer than the actual laws themselves.

In terms of pure page count, Hockey gets everything down and explained in 68 pages cover to cover (1st Jan 2017 edition). In the 2015/16 laws of Football, the laws run up to page 60 and Interpretations add another 79 pages on top of that.

Comment

Originally posted by Janik View Post
          Oh, and England Hockey has delayed rule changes until 1st September before*, so they don't come mid-season here. That makes sense, and is presumably what they will do with these as well. The Hockey season in England runs September to April, so 1st January is a very bad time for alterations in the rules to happen.
          And indeed, from the East Region website yesterday:-

20/12/2018
          FIH New Rules from 1st January not being introduced into England Hockey this season: All clubs may have read that the FIH are planning to introduce new rules from 1st January. Please be aware that England Hockey have written to say that these rules will NOT be introduced this season. Repeat will NOT be introduced this season.

Comment

Working...
          X