Bobsled questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bobsled questions

How do they steer it? Is it all done by shifting weight. Do they all shift weight. How does it work? Does the Brakeman in the back do anything as they're whizzing down the track? Is there a steering wheel thingy? And what's the advantage of a four man crew over a two man crew, presumably the extra weight gives you more speed, but it must be more difficult to control. How's it done? I've always fancied giving it a try if I ever got the chance.

Bobsled questions

This is good.

Except for emergencies, the brake is only used after the bob crosses the finish line. Four men give you more weight going down, but also greater initial velocity (because you have two additional behemoths pushing).

One can go as a paying passenger on training sleds at a number of Olympic tracks during certain times of the year, but it costs a pretty penny.

Edit: Actually, only USD 75 at Lake Placid, the rates I've seen in Europe are significantly higher.

Comment

Bobsled questions

There's a simulator at the Ontario Science Centre. I don't know how 'true to life' it is, but it gives you a fairly good rattling-about and it is fun.

Comment

Bobsled questions

I did the passenger thing at Lake Placid. I'm pretty sure it was "only" $60 when I went.

Comment

Bobsled questions

USD 200 a person at Park City.

CDN 165 at Calgary.

Comment

Working...
          X